Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default House Of The Dragon Season 2

I figured I'd make a new thread rather than necropost in a two year old one, that was used for season 1.

House of the Dragon Season 2, Winds of Winter Where Are You?

Hello again, friends and neighbors. Its 2 years since HOTD season 1, 5 years since GOT ended and 13 years since the 5th book in ASOIAF (A Dance With Dragons) was released. And we are still no closer to getting a release for The Winds of Winter.

We do however have Dual/Dueling trailers for the release of HOTD Season 2.

~ All Must Choose ~

Greens

The Blacks

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Good promotional material. I'm hoping this season is far better than Season 1, which underwhelmed me a ton. Fire & Blood is I think my favorite GRRM book and paints a more nuanced mysterious deeply gray civil war.

I came to Season 1 really excited for Criston Cole, but this younger more foolish show version isn't working for me yet. Book Cole struck me as at least slightly more Tywin-esque, clever, ambitious, more similar to how Otto (or Daemon) is portrayed in this show.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-21-2024 at 10:36 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I disliked season 1. I will not watch this unless I here from others who did not think it was good say it has improved.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I disliked season 1. I will not watch this unless I here from others who did not think it was good say it has improved.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat I couldn't get through the first season so unless this does something really amazing I don't think I'll be checking this out.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't go for adapting the Dunk and Egg stories instead of Fire and Blood. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool battles in Fire and Blood but the characters always came across as bland and one dimensional to me.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-21-2024 at 03:01 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat I couldn't get through the first season so unless this does something really amazing I don't think I'll be checking this out.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't go for adapting the Dunk and Egg stories instead of Fire and Blood. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool battles in Fire and Blood but the characters always came across as bland and one dimensional to me.
    There was talk of there being Dunk and Egg show in the future. We have to remember the viability of the GOT brand was the biggest issue after season 8. The brand was basically dead and no one was expecting it to come back.

Initially, the old regime at HBO wanted a Long Night Prequel titled Blood Moon. And the stuff they wanted in it was ridiculous. They wanted White Walkers (obviously), big battles against the undead, Starks vs Lannister feud, black people as the elves/Children of The Forest, iconic shots of famous places from GOT and dragons. They reportedly spent $30-$35 million on pre-production on the show before it all fell apart on them.

With a prequel set 8,000 years before Thrones. None of the stuff executives wanted to see in the prequel would be there. You would only have Starks and First Men vs Walkers. No castles, only villages. No Wall, no Dragons, no capital city, no famous houses. Nothing. Which they would hurt to make even 1 season out of.

GRRM talked them into doing Fire and Blood. They started collaborating with him again. After D&D lost his number after season 4 of Thrones. The Dance of The Dragon has a beginning, middle and end. And with it being relatively close to the GOT era. All the marketable things shareholders and executives expect out of a show would be there.

In season 1, I believe the showrunners said HOTD wouldn't just be about the Dance. With a title like House of the Dragon, they could keep it going and touch other points in Targaryen history. Chiefly Aegon I's Conquest, Aegon IV and the Blackfyre rebellion and Aegon V Dunk and Egg.

David Zaslav is big on making money from all of WB's big name IPs. Mainly DC (Gunnverse), Harry Potter (talk of rebooting the movies from the books) and GOT (HOTD).
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-27-2024 at 06:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    There was talk of there being Dunk and Egg show in the future. We have to remember the viability of the GOT brand was the biggest issue after season 8. The brand was basically dead and no one was expecting it to come back.

Initially, the old regime at HBO wanted a Long Night Prequel titled Blood Moon. And the stuff they wanted in it was ridiculous. They wanted White Walkers (obviously), big battles against the undead, Starks vs Lannister feud, black people as the elves/Children of The Forest, iconic shots of famous places from GOT and dragons. They reportedly spent $30-$35 million on pre-production on the show before it all fell apart on them.

With a prequel set 8,000 years before Thrones. None of the stuff executives wanted to see in the prequel would be there. You would only have Starks and First Men vs Walkers. No castles, only villages. No Wall, no Dragons, no capital city, no famous houses. Nothing. Which they would hurt to make even 1 season out of.

GRRM talked them into doing Fire and Blood. They started collaborating with him again. After D&D lost his number after season 4 of Thrones. The Dance of The Dragon has a beginning, middle and end. And with it being relatively close to the GOT era. All the marketable things shareholders and executives expect out of a show would be there.

In season 1, I believe the showrunners said HOTD wouldn't just be about the Dance. With a title like House of the Dragon, they could keep it going and touch other points in Targaryen history. Chiefly Aegon I's Conquest, Aegon IV and the Blackfyre rebellion and Aegon V Dunk and Egg.

David Zaslav is big on making money from all of WB's big name IPs. Mainly DC (Gunnverse), Harry Potter (talk of rebooting the movies from the books) and GOT (HOTD).
    I think GRRM has to pick up the pace on Fire and Blood book II, if we're to get anywhere near the Blackfyre rebellion and that may require a flash forward(I don't know if it helps having separate shows in the same universe competing against each other)Aegon the Unworthy and all his drama needs its own season or two before we even get to the rebellion. I see the DoD era (current House of the Dragon) being narrated through 3 seasons tops, Aegon IV and subsequent first two rebellions being told over like 4 seasons. Though I'd prefer if GRRM adds detail to his general outline by completing the second book before we see those on screen.
    Last edited by Rev9; 03-31-2024 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I think GRRM has to pick up the pace on Fire and Blood book II, if we're to get anywhere near the Blackfyre rebellion and that may require a flash forward(I don't know if it helps having separate shows in the same universe competing against each other)Aegon the Unworthy and all his drama needs its own season or two before we even get to the rebellion. I see the DoD era (current House of the Dragon) being narrated through 3 seasons tops, Aegon IV and subsequent first two rebellions being told over like 4 seasons. Though I'd prefer if GRRM adds detail to his general outline by completing the second book before we see those on screen.

Tried to leave you a message bud but your mail box is full
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    Tried to leave you a message bud but your mail box is full
    It's free now, sorry about that. Check my latest message

First season was awesome- looking forward to this one.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

I liked Season One of HOTD a lot, but I'm also still more in love with Dunk and Egg... and of the opinion that the probable reason this particular part f the myth so got adapted first is stylistic.

Dunk And Egg is basically a more “Stark” Westeros story - main characters with strong moral compasses in conflict with their morally bankrupt and cruel surroundings, often defined by their defiant selflessness and ability to actually pull out a romantic victory or two in spite of the cynical surroundings. Even the antagonists can lean more morally ambiguous rather than outright malevolent (Maekar and Daemon II clearly having more in common with Jaime than the other villainous Lannister’s.)

The Dance of the Dragons, in contrast, is 100% a “Lannister” Westeros story - main characters who are morally ambiguous at best and often completely comprised as a general rule, each consumed by some amoral interest that often only gets mildly softened by how it tends to be focused on their family rather than just themselves. In fact, the show’s general turn is to try and make the most interesting protagonists be outright villains (thus why the Daemon V Aemond rivalry is what we all know they’ll build towards) or totally tragic Classical Anti-Heroes destined for ruin and horror.

...and HBO’s usual repertoire definitely leans more towards the latter style than the former. They’re a company that usually gets its best press for more cynical, darker, more “adult” shows, the darker and more depressing, the better.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

@thwhtGuardian

@godisawesome

The Faithful and Just are rewarded. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is official. With Ser Duncan The Tall and Aegon V being cast as well. Peter Claffey as Dunk & Dexter Sol Ansell as Egg.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/game-of...ng-1235876884/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

@thwhtGuardian

@godisawesome

The Faithful and Just are rewarded. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is official. With Ser Duncan The Tall and Aegon V being cast as well. Peter Claffey as Dunk & Dexter Sol Ansell as Egg.

That's awesome, I'll definitely tune in for that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

@thwhtGuardian

@godisawesome

Exxxxxxcellent.

Now... to await Maekar and Bloodraven’s casting...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

That's awesome, I'll definitely tune in for that.
    Yeah, I'm excited. I suspect I will like this far more than House of the Dragon, partly since Dunk & Egg stories aren't like Fire & Blood, aren't history books filled with deep uncertainty (as to the motivations of the major players and events in history). And the stories are "smaller," and I think have more potential that way.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-09-2024 at 01:58 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”