Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What does 97's success have to do with Claremont? Failing to see the correlation. He's returned several times and its never been good so to answer your question, no
    To answer your question, all the elements people love about the cartoon are things that claremont established or perfected.

To be fair, that book was set in the past before Gambit ever met Rogue. Of course Remy's loved other people in his life. I don't like books set in the past for that very reason, though. It just invites retroactive continuity and just doesn't work that well. And like, the threads he was writing in that book carried over to the X-Treme book, which was also set in the past, but like, years after Gambit's mini, and yet Storm was acting and wanting to be regarded much as little 'Ro was. It makes sense, from a writer's perspective, that those beats would carry over so strongly, but for where Storm was at circa the end of X-Treme X-Men, no it didn't make much sense.

I'd be fine with Marvel giving Lord Claremont more minis, but I would set them in the present and work within the wider line. Otherwise it just feels like a weird alternate reality. Which can be fine, but continuity is king. That was Lord Claremont's strong point really, emotional continuity. It's also why I think his post-'91 stuff just doesn't hit the same. In the original run, he basically had the line for 16 years. That kind of continuity of voice, for the characters, was invaluable. These modern minis, or even something like Forever or X-Treme, just don't quite give him the take-off and landing space he, or rather the story, really needs to excel. Not to say limited series or even one and dones can't be great stories, but there's nothing in comparison to more time. Seemingly infinite time. And like I alluded to in an earlier post, once he as an artist had the trust broken with Marvel basically booting him for a hotshot upstart, and we as readers had our trust broken, it doesn't just go back. It's broken. I don't know if it ever gets fixed. And honestly that's been the franchise since.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    To answer your question, all the elements people love about the cartoon are things that claremont established or perfected.
    And my response to the last person that said this is that they are only adapting the stuff from his original run where he peaked in the 80s. All of his material post his 2000 return hae been awful and no one has been adapting that.

You may not like his more current stuff, but they have not ALL been awful. X-Treme X-Men back in the day was great(and the Uncanny run that followed wasn't all bad either). Are any of those stories as worthy of adaptation as the Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, or Inferno? Absolutely. Give me a Khan takes over the world and Storm takes over his heart(and then beats his ass in a sewer) movie! Give me X-Treme Sage, the best Sage, and her will they won't they not-boyfriend Bishop! Give me the Shi'Ar death squad exterminating the Grey line and branding Rachel again! Give me Storm and Gambit infiltrating a UN G8 summit on the Bush ranch and walking away with a global mandate for the XSE! Let's have a movie with the team smooshing a nuke in downtown London. I'm even down for that crazy Storm in Tokyo fight clubs mess, have Miyazaki animate it, let's goooo! They were good stories. No one is adapting most the modern crap from other writers either, so that point is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Should Marvel do it?

DISCUSS!
    Yes! Thank you.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    You may not like his more current stuff, but they have not ALL been awful. X-Treme X-Men back in the day was great(and the Uncanny run that followed wasn't all bad either). Are any of those stories as worthy of adaptation as the Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, or Inferno? Absolutely. Give me a Khan takes over the world and Storm takes over his heart(and then beats his ass in a sewer) movie! Give me X-Treme Sage, the best Sage, and her will they won't they not-boyfriend Bishop! Give me the Shi'Ar death squad exterminating the Grey line and branding Rachel again! Give me Storm and Gambit infiltrating a UN G8 summit on the Bush ranch and walking away with a global mandate for the XSE! Let's have a movie with the team smooshing a nuke in downtown London. I'm even down for that crazy Storm in Tokyo fight clubs mess, have Miyazaki animate it, let's goooo! They were good stories. No one is adapting most the modern crap from other writers either, so that point is moot.
    The fact is no one is adapting any of that stuff regardless of how any of us feel. Claremont's later stuff has not set the world on fire and i doubt he could return yet again and push out interesting material

Meanwhile Whedon's run was adapted in X-men: The Last Stand. Parts of that and Morrison's material inspired the Anime. Magneto's Genosha was adapted in WATX. Old Man Logan was adapted in Logan. Krakoa was adapted in Marvel: Future Fight. so yeah material post-Claremont has been used as inspiration
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-26-2024 at 06:41 PM.

Those are some low-hanging cherries you're picking, but well played. I think it's fair to say that Claremont's adaptations, new or old, are still miles apart better and more pervasive than any other writer's work, old or new.

That said, in the spirit of this thread's OP, I still wouldn't want the newest comics determined completely by him again. I do think Marvel broke something very valuable back in 1991, and it can't be fixed. I sincerely doubt X-Men as a franchise adapted into other mediums, or in the comics themselves, will ever transcend Lord Claremont's influence, particularly but not limited to his OG run. He didn't create the X-Men, but he made it into what it is now, moreso than anyone else. That legacy can't be denied.

That said, the comics desperately need a steady supply of Claremontian devotees willing to dance with the devil for a few years at a time if they want this ship to keep sailing. Lord Ewing would be my pick for captain this very second, he's more than demonstrated his ability(he has been prolific across the entire catalogue, nevermind his exceptional X-works of late), but I think he also sees Disney-Marvel for what it is, and may have had his fill(or at least almost had his fill; is Thor all he's writing going forward at the moment?). Good luck finding someone else as talented!

I'm even down for that crazy Storm in Tokyo fight clubs mess
    An adaptation of this would be enough to sustain me for at least a decade.

eab6NmGoaWKJRhX5oVfmEIjvaf-Ddaob4rqvfAT8yW9dW25fuQ4Es9TomeqjPxD7TUZHOrpmEdAx=s1600.jpg

Looks at two of the writers on the "flagship titles" Attachment 138491

I definitely think he is good enough to take the spot of at least two of the incoming writers if you want to compare recent work.
    I'm of the opinion that I'd like to see their take first before I make a decision if this is a correct answer. Just because I'm curious which 2 writers would you kick out for CC?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that I'd like to see their take first before I make a decision if this is a correct answer. Just because I'm curious which 2 writers would you kick out for CC?
    Meant to say one out of the three. I can see him replacing Ewing or
    Simone. Jed MacKay's Taskmaster was so awful I avoided everything he did. Then came the Avengers run which was actually... good. First I thought this was just me lowering my standards because he was following Jason Aaron. Turns out he really is a good writer who just can't write Taskmaster.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Should Marvel do it?

DISCUSS!
    Yes, I only consider his X-Men canon. With a few exceptions like Rick Remender.

Simone. Jed MacKay's Taskmaster was so awful I avoided everything he did. Then came the Avengers run which was actually... good. First I thought this was just me lowering my standards because he was following Jason Aaron. Turns out he really is a good writer who just can't write Taskmaster.
    Avengers is by far the worst thing (and the only bad thing) MacKay ever did. Terrible line-up, and just horribly decompressed fights.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    There's literally no way that CC's impact on the X-Men, and in comics in general, can or should ever be downplayed. The man absolutely changed the game forever and he should always be recognised and applauded for that.

But no, I really wouldn't want to see him given the X-reins again nowadays. To me, he seems to be quite firmly stuck in 1991 with regards to the characters and their personalities - pretty much everything he writes today is a retro piece (that may be editorial mandate, rather than his choice though) and he's made no secret that he's not a fan of the directions "his" franchise has taken.

I loved his original run, and I loved a decent chunk of his X-Treme X-Men too, but he's not a good "modern" X-Men scribe in my opinion, as much as it saddens me to say that. The guy is a legend but I really wouldn't want to see him writing a current day X-title.

Speaking very personally, given the 90s nostalgia at the moment, I'd quite like to see Scott Lobdell come back. He and Fabian pretty much shaped the 90s X-Men and I thought he was a very good successor to Claremont.
    I don't understand this argument. Lobdell wasn't a his successor to Claremont. He was the opposite. He didn't like strong women being too strong. He minimized both storm and phoenix. He started the stagnation that took to krakoa to fix.

Everything else you said I agree with but no to lobdell.

The cartoon may take place in the 90's but it's telling 80's stories. Lobdell's stories don't measure up.

Not to you specifically (but feel free to answer), what are the criticisms folks have of Simone’s writing? I found her DC runs on BoP, and SS enjoyable but it’s been a WHILE since I read them. Is it just that it’s been so long since she’s had a big hit? Or something about her dialogue or character writing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The fact is no one is adapting any of that stuff regardless of how any of us feel. Claremont's later stuff has not set the world on fire and i doubt he could return yet again and push out interesting material

Meanwhile Whedon's run was adapted in X-men: The Last Stand. Parts of that and Morrison's material inspired the Anime. Magneto's Genosha was adapted in WATX. Old Man Logan was adapted in Logan. Krakoa was adapted in Marvel: Future Fight. so yeah material post-Claremont has been used as inspiration
    Of course stuff by later writers has been adapted. No one's saying that adaptations have exclusively drawn from the Claremont well. Though I must point out that WATX drew heavily from Days of Future Past and the Dark Pheonix Saga.

But Claremont's work, and approach to the franchise, still remains the base template on which most adaptations have been built.

Its kinda akin to how most of the Spider-Man franchise is still built around the Lee/Dikto/Romita runs. Yes, elements from later eras do get incorporated into adaptations (the Alien Costume Saga/Venom in particular) but those early runs remain the foundation.

Those are some low-hanging cherries you're picking, but well played. I think it's fair to say that Claremont's adaptations, new or old, are still miles apart better and more pervasive than any other writer's work, old or new.

That said, in the spirit of this thread's OP, I still wouldn't want the newest comics determined completely by him again. I do think Marvel broke something very valuable back in 1991, and it can't be fixed. I sincerely doubt X-Men as a franchise adapted into other mediums, or in the comics themselves, will ever transcend Lord Claremont's influence, particularly but not limited to his OG run. He didn't create the X-Men, but he made it into what it is now, moreso than anyone else. That legacy can't be denied.

That said, the comics desperately need a steady supply of Claremontian devotees willing to dance with the devil for a few years at a time if they want this ship to keep sailing. Lord Ewing would be my pick for captain this very second, he's more than demonstrated his ability(he has been prolific across the entire catalogue, nevermind his exceptional X-works of late), but I think he also sees Disney-Marvel for what it is, and may have had his fill(or at least almost had his fill; is Thor all he's writing going forward at the moment?). Good luck finding someone else as talented!
    I think a case can be made for perhaps giving Claremont a mini, or an ongoing, in his own self-contained universe with a more 'back to basics' approach to the franchise. Something akin to an X-men '92. Recapture the glory years.