Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Lord Claremont was brought up in Brevoort's newsletter today:

Paul: I believe you've said in the past that you prefer fresh writers on your books instead of old writers going back to the old well, so does this mean X-Men #35/Uncanny X-Men #700 will be Chris Claremont's last X-tale?

Tom: I wouldn’t think so, Paul, no. But I also wouldn’t expect Chris to suddenly be writing one of the core series regularly either. That’s the sort of return that I’m talking about, when you try to recapture a bygone era by bringing back the creators who worked on a series back in the day. There are very few times when this has ever worked in the history of comics, so I think it’s better to keep moving forward with new people and new ideas. But the X-line is wide, and so there’s always going to be a place for creators such as Chris who’ve dedicated so much of themselves to these characters over the years, if you see the difference.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

What does 97's success have to do with Claremont? Failing to see the correlation. He's returned several times and its never been good so to answer your question, no

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Paul: I believe you've said in the past that you prefer fresh writers on your books instead of old writers going back to the old well, so does this mean X-Men #35/Uncanny X-Men #700 will be Chris Claremont's last X-tale?

Tom: I wouldn’t think so, Paul, no. But I also wouldn’t expect Chris to suddenly be writing one of the core series regularly either. That’s the sort of return that I’m talking about, when you try to recapture a bygone era by bringing back the creators who worked on a series back in the day. There are very few times when this has ever worked in the history of comics, so I think it’s better to keep moving forward with new people and new ideas. But the X-line is wide, and so there’s always going to be a place for creators such as Chris who’ve dedicated so much of themselves to these characters over the years, if you see the difference.
    I'm reading this to say we can expect Claremont on some X-limited series at least... although that comment about Chris not writing any "core" series regularly could also indicate he could possibly be on an ancillary book instead.

He had his time. I haven’t been a huge fan of his recent work. It’s not the worst but not good enough to bring him back on a flagship title. I like how marvel is using him for mini series and I think they should keep doing that.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What does 97's success have to do with Claremont? Failing to see the correlation. He's returned several times and its never been good so to answer your question, no
    I actually think it was good sometimes. I enjoyed his Revolution and Reload with Davis (Storms X.S.E). But I agree he shouldn't return. Let Gail have the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm reading this to say we can expect Claremont on some X-limited series at least... although that comment about Chris not writing any "core" series regularly could also indicate he could possibly be on an ancillary book instead.
    Yeah an ancillary book was my initial thought when reading his answer. Or definitely some minis.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Because X-men '97, and the original TAS before it, were heavily based on the Claremont era...which is also largely seen as the 'base template' of the X-men franchise.

I don't get why people consistently ignore this with their cries for Claremont's return. Even the better runs he's had have never been able to capture the magic of his original run w/ the team.

That's not to say he should NEVER write a main line book again. I actually think it would've been cool for him to write a mini during the Krakoan era. But to pretend that Claremont taking on the flagship would suddenly fix all the franchises problems, is ignoring all the other times Marvel tried to do that and it didn't work.

Astonishing Member

Most of these plot points like Magneto reformed, two Jeans and depowered Storm are Claremont era ideas

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don't get why people consistently ignore this with their cries for Claremont's return. Even the better runs he's had have never been able to capture the magic of his original run w/ the team.

That's not to say he should NEVER write a main line book again. I actually think it would've been cool for him to write a mini during the Krakoan era. But to pretend that Claremont taking on the flagship would suddenly fix all the franchises problems, is ignoring all the other times Marvel tried to do that and it didn't work.
    He was even given an alternate continuity title that was advertised as "what if he didn't left in 1992" and overall it didn't seem to satisfy enough buyers to sustain it for long.

While there were obviously people who liked and enjoyed it, they were seemingly in a minority compared to (among the allready diminished number of buyers at the time) those who had no interest in it to beginn with (for various reasons) or weren't satisfied with what was actualy delivered.

It likely didn't help that it was pretty obvious that he could not reboot his mind back to 1992 and that both the real world and what happend in the comics after his departure clearly affected what he wrote, even with the insistences that it would have played out like that back then aswell.

Or that there was a permanent comparison to the developments which occured without him and even with him (Revolution, Uncanny X-men, X-treme X-men), including the various satelite titles he had no control over at the time but which were made in reflection of what was going on in the main titles.

Furthermore it was evident that what made his run great what was not the writer alone but also the input of the artist and editors. In particular without the oversight of the later many ideas which might have required being dropped or changed at the time could pass and they weren't really what all fans at the time would have enjoyed.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-25-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Most of these plot points like Magneto reformed, two Jeans and depowered Storm are Claremont era ideas
    And? That was the case for the original series too. That doesnt mean Claremont should be returning. Notice that none of his material post his original run is inspiration for any adaptation of the X-men in cartoon or movie form. Claremont peaked in the 80s and him in a modern book just aint it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    He had his time. I haven’t been a huge fan of his recent work. It’s not the worst but not good enough to bring him back on a flagship title. I like how marvel is using him for mini series and I think they should keep doing that.
    Looks at two of the writers on the "flagship titles" th (2).jpeg

I definitely think he is good enough to take the spot of at least two of the incoming writers if you want to compare recent work.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Is he saying that older writers can't have new ideas? Seems a little ageist to me. and not even true. Plenty of the stuff coming out from Marvel and written by NEW writers is not such great shakes.

And that's not to say that I want Chris to be the go to guy for all things X, but I stopped being thrilled with his work later in his initial run with Byrne. That said, I fully acknowledge the importance of his work to the X brand.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Is he saying that older writers can't have new ideas? Seems a little ageist to me. and not even true. Plenty of the stuff coming out from Marvel and written by NEW writers is not such great shakes.

And that's not to say that I want Chris to be the go to guy for all things X, but I stopped being thrilled with his work later in his initial run with Byrne. That said, I fully acknowledge the importance of his work to the X brand.
    FWIW, my read of it was he was saying he doesn't believe in bringing in someone like Claremont specifically BECAUSE of his past work and ideas, ie hiring him for nostalgia's sake or because of his name recognition within the franchise. My sense was he's not saying he's opposed to having Claremont on a book if there's a specific pitch Claremont has that really works for whatever Brevoort wants to do with the line, but 'get Claremont back because he's CLAREMONT' isn't a road he wants to go down. But that was just my interpretation, YMMV of course.

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Absolutely not. I'm forever grateful to him for creating Rogue and Gambit, but he's not the actual reason I love them. His peak as a writer has long passed imo. Also, I'm still sore he refused to regard any canon that happened after him when he wrote that Gambit mini and then tried to sell that some rando we'd never heard of as a woman Remy loved.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds