Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    X-treme x-men sold better than New X-men and the others at the time. it came out bi monthly and was doing like 60k an issue. It just wasn't getting the hype from the shops new x-men was but it consistently made the numbers even after they dwindled the team and took away the artist.
    I love X-treme x-men and CC but the truth is that during the time NXM was sellng much better. It was the number one comic in sales almost every month. I remember it cuz i was reading wizzard magazine at the time and they had the sale numbers of the first 100 comics if i remember correctly. X-treme sales started strong but fell after some months. Also NXM sold more than 100k copies per month. You can find the actual sales in Comichron

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    I love X-treme x-men and CC but the truth is that during the time NXM was sellng much better. It was the number one comic in sales almost every month. I remember it cuz i was reading wizzard magazine at the time and they had the sale numbers of the first 100 comics if i remember correctly. X-treme sales started strong but fell after some months. Also NXM sold more than 100k copies per month. You can find the actual sales in Comichron
    I'm not a chart guy but if you look xtreme did consistently better until it was poached. it was bi-monthly and if you add the numbers for both books in the month it consistently topped new x-men which did better as a single book but was also pimped much more. either way it was my book of choice during the mutants being suppressors age of Morrison. Which is why i'm still surprised people act like krakoa was supremacy when mutants were stealing land and pushing drugs in morrison run but i digress.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-22-2024 at 07:56 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm not a chart guy but if you look xtreme did consistently better until it was poached. it was bi-monthly and if you add the numbers for both books in the month it consistently topped new x-men which did better as a single book but was also pimped much more.
    It was not. When it became bi monthly x-treme sold around 55k copies per month and NMX around 130k. But anyway i love x-treme and i wish salva stayed a little bit more or at least i wish they replaced him with a more capable penciler than Igor Kordey

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    It was not. When it became bi monthly x-treme sold around 55k copies per month and NMX around 130k. But anyway i love x-treme and i wish salva stayed a little bit more or at least i wish they replaced him with a more capable penciler than Igor Kordey
    no need for back and forth someone posted the numbers before and if you added both books x-treme was doing over 100k and new xmen dropped quicker. But to each their own i preferred his stuff then and i prefer it to what gillien and co are doing now. kind of funny how that works. disassembled brought mutants so low i was giddy about krakoa, morrison run mate them so elitist and supremacist (better word) i couldn't feel that bad when decimation happened.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    There's literally no way that CC's impact on the X-Men, and in comics in general, can or should ever be downplayed. The man absolutely changed the game forever and he should always be recognised and applauded for that.

But no, I really wouldn't want to see him given the X-reins again nowadays. To me, he seems to be quite firmly stuck in 1991 with regards to the characters and their personalities - pretty much everything he writes today is a retro piece (that may be editorial mandate, rather than his choice though) and he's made no secret that he's not a fan of the directions "his" franchise has taken.

I loved his original run, and I loved a decent chunk of his X-Treme X-Men too, but he's not a good "modern" X-Men scribe in my opinion, as much as it saddens me to say that. The guy is a legend but I really wouldn't want to see him writing a current day X-title.

Speaking very personally, given the 90s nostalgia at the moment, I'd quite like to see Scott Lobdell come back. He and Fabian pretty much shaped the 90s X-Men and I thought he was a very good successor to Claremont.
    No one will ever hire Scott Lobdell again due to all that sexual harassment he did. The only reason he stayed at DC was because him and Bob Harras are tight and Harras refused to fire him.

As for Claremont, no. The man has lost what made him so good in the first place (also the black Kitty Pryde stuff? You know if he came back it’d be the first thing he’d write and Cebulski would let him do it). Even if the franchise is gonna mine Claremont stories for decades to come it’s important to bring in new voices and get their perspectives on them.

No and i say that respectfully.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

no need for back and forth someone posted the numbers before and if you added both books x-treme was doing over 100k and new xmen dropped quicker. But to each their own i preferred his stuff then and i prefer it to what gillien and co are doing now. kind of funny how that works. disassembled brought mutants so low i was giddy about krakoa, morrison run mate them so elitist and supremacist (better word) i couldn't feel that bad when decimation happened.
    Awww yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No...

An incredibly small slice may have connected with whoever you are talking about.

Let me know when they are stepping over each other to get to X-Treme X-Men.
    The incredibly small slice of people that have seen the cartoons and movies? That small slice dwarfs us.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Yes! Let man create. Haters can just ignore and don't read.
    His Gambit mini was cool and I would be happy to read more.
    I read Gambit too. It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Let the old man rest please.
    How old is Gail? He is a writer. Pretty sedentary occupation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Claremont while the X-Godfather is not perfect. Lets never forget Dino Rachel. However he does make a good B-book. Morrison's New X-Men along side Claremont's X-Treme X-Men was a great pairing.

I would love a mini written by Claremont with the cast of TAS.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member

I'm not a chart guy but if you look xtreme did consistently better until it was poached. it was bi-monthly and if you add the numbers for both books in the month it consistently topped new x-men which did better as a single book but was also pimped much more.
    Costs also scale linearly. A bimonthly book may have twice the sales, but also twice the costs of labor (script, penciler, inker, colorist, editorial, promotion/advertisement, etc). It's not free money by having them come out twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Costs also scale linearly. A bimonthly book may have twice the sales, but also twice the costs of labor (script, penciler, inker, colorist, editorial, promotion/advertisement, etc). It's not free money by having them come out twice.
    True. Though i doubt claremont was making as much as morrison or larocca as much as quietly but thats 100% spec on my part. and x-treme had little to no advertisement from what i remember at the time but again that's just my perspective. But the numbers are the numbers at least on sales especially back at that time.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

yeah why is anyone adding two books together and saying look it sells better lol

because if it's one and two of the same series, writer and artist it still sold in the same month. but then i think that was the plan you split the book, you split the sales so you get to say new x-men/ morrison sold 100,000 while claremont sold 60,000 twice in the same month. but that's just me. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    No. I'll always love his earlier work, but I haven't liked a single X-book he's written in the past 20 years. Not to mention, he left the books in 91. So I'm not sure how much credit he should get for 90's X-Men nostalgia.
    Well...90's X-men nostalgia mainly revolved around the TAS, which was largely based on his work from the 70's and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "Had" his time? We're still in his time. His stuff connects with the only audience that matters, casuals.
    True.

Not just the TAS, but the movies too were heavily based on stories from his era.

We can split hairs about X-Treme's sales, but no one, and I mean NO ONE can top Lord Claremont's Uncanny's sales from back in the day. It was a couple hundred thousand every issue! X-Men #1(1991) is still #1 30+ years later with sales in the MILLIONS(6-8).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Maybe as an editor or consultant, but his writing style is just too dated at this point.

I actually really liked his X-Treme X-men series from the early 2000s, ugly art aside. Nothing hits like Claremont's Storm.