Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Jackpot and Black Cat #1 Preview

Fantastic Member

I see Paul, I close my wallet.

Bronfman's MJ voice continues to be super generic and reading like a parody of a straightforward Superhero.

"Look at me patrolling and extolling how quiet it is in the city like I'm an experienced Superhero and not someone who has been doing this for a few weeks at best. I CAN FEEL THE HUM OF THE CITY."

At least they remember her powers are still randomized even if she still gets convenient ones. Though the boot jets are a bit goofy.

She's totally going to be the boring straightwoman to Felicia, isn't she?

Also Paul is still in her head so that's another reason not to pick this up.

The art's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bronfman's MJ voice continues to be super generic and reading like a parody of a straightforward Superhero.

"Look at me patrolling and extolling how quiet it is in the city like I'm an experienced Superhero and not someone who has been doing this for a few weeks at best. I CAN FEEL THE HUM OF THE CITY."

At least they remember her powers are still randomized even if she still gets convenient ones. Though the boot jets are a bit goofy.

The art's nice.
    Seriously. That is not MJ's voice. You could swap anyone into that costume saying those generic words and no one would know the difference.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

God that's bad.

Astonishing Member

This feels so souless.

Fantastic Member

The art is really great but that is not going to be enough to move the needle for me. I can play the waiting game and pick the whole mini-series up for $5 at my LCS in a year or so.

Seriously, who is this woman? Because this isn't MJ, but some souless readhead - the narrative sounds generic and unlike her. Bronfman still doesn't understand MJ and never will - she just follows whatever orders Wells and Lowe give her. Paul is still around, so that's another letdown. This "Jackpot" concept was DOA the moment they announced it, but they still continue with it because they cannot take it all back after all the advertisement and whatnot.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    Seriously, who is this woman? Because this isn't MJ, but some souless readhead - the narrative sounds generic and unlike her. Bronfman still doesn't understand MJ and never will - she just follows whatever orders Wells and Lowe give her. Paul is still around, so that's another letdown. This "Jackpot" concept was DOA the moment they announced it, but they still continue with it because they cannot take it all back after all the advertisement and whatnot.
    That's a very misogynistic tone there. Let the book do it's thing if you don't like it then read something else. Spider-Gwen is coming. Maybe you'll enjoy that more

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    That's a very misogynistic tone there. Let the book do it's thing if you don't like it then read something else. Spider-Gwen is coming. Maybe you'll enjoy that more
    I'm not picking it up but just looking at it from this preview and from the one-shot...this whole Jackpot direction really isn't being handled all that well (or MJ in general).

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I'm not picking it up but just looking at it from this preview and from the one-shot...this whole Jackpot direction really isn't being handled all that well (or MJ in general).
    It's not doing Felicia well either. Imagine if her new love interest is Pedro or she slept with Paul

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Paul is in this? Hard pass.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

We will NOT be reading

Astonishing Member

MJ's dialogue reads like a bad parody of Batman.

"The sound of screams echoing through the night means people are reaching out for help. But silence means they don't even know they’re in danger yet. The trick is to get ahead of it. Use the silence to your advantage" - like, MJ is speaking words but they are sheer nonsense. "The trick is to get ahead of the silence?" So, what, she's going to bust in on people having a quiet night at home in case a supervillain fight breaks out? LOL

I don't hear MJ's voice, I hear Will Arnett's.

Also, why is Paul babbling about twinkling lights and cheery music? It's not Christmas in the miniseries. And if people are being lured into being docile because of twinking lights and cheery music - THAT'S evidence of a supervillain plot!

And what does Paul know about twinkling lights and cheery music and what people do in 616 Manhattan anyway? According to him, he was in dystopia land for a very long time by himself before MJ and Peter showed up.

Not that I expect anything resembling consistency and coherence or characterization from this or any 616 Spider-book.
    But they forgot she can only use one power at a time and has to let it wear off before she can roll to get another one. Oops. Now her powers are even more deus ex machina. They just took the last little bit of fun out of MJ having randomized powers. What's the point, if she can just spin until she gets a convenient one?

Of course. Although I will point out Felicia is also not written well in the preview, which is full of clunky "As you know, Bob" dialogue with characters telling each other what they should already know, or what they shouldn't know but the writer needs the reader to know. My favorite is Paul telling MJ when the ship appears: "The ship's invisibility shield must have glitched out" - really, Paul? Ya think that's why the big ship just appeared? Even though it could have also just teleported there... And MJ telling Paul "There's some sort of power outage" with Paul the genius responding "That's why the ship's invisibility tech glitched out" like ya think so, Paul? Also, repetitive dialogue is repetitive, another basic writing craft mistake.

But Bronfman has already stated MJ's going to be the enthusiastic one who wants to work in a team and is open and unguarded around Felicia while Felicia is the one who keeps things close to her vest, because actress who puts on a facade to keep people from getting too close to her, who's that? Person who learned not being open with MJ in their last miniseries caused major headaches, who's that?

But who knows, maybe the adventures of Maureen Jo Watkins and Felicity Harley will be readable. (Doubtful.)

But having a man control MJ's suit but provide zero other assistance other then watching broadcast news and stating the obvious is empowering, doncha know!

USM should have no problem streaking past this on the sales chart.

The art's nice.
    I like Laiso but he's wasted. No one can make the Jackpot costume appealing and visually pleasing.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 03-22-2024 at 03:34 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    The only misogynistic thing here is the character's mistreatment - character assassination, being given to another writer who either knows squat about the character or just obeys orders from the editoral. Ever since this concept started "doing it's own thing", it's been nothing but insult. And now it's spreading towards Felica.
    Last edited by Konnik92; 03-22-2024 at 03:43 PM.