Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm very curious to see how this one ends.

Thank !#$@% this nightmare of a comic is ending! Ben Percy was one of the worst X-Men writers in the history of the brand. He has done nothing to move any character forward, instead he singlehandedly tanked the entire Krakoan era with his absolute assassination of Moira MacTaggert. All the delicate character work Hickman did was ruined by Percy in one silly miniseries. That's all it took to destroy everything built up in House of X and Powers of X.

40+ issues of absolute garbage. When Hickman was overseeing things, Percy could sort of pass as a good writer, but without Hickman, his true style came through and helped to drive away any remaining Wolverine or X-Men fans. This run will likely be forgotten in a year or two, and I can't see anyone (outside of Steve Foxe), ever using any of Percy's ideas as references in future comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Thank !#$@% this nightmare of a comic is ending! Ben Percy was one of the worst X-Men writers in the history of the brand. He has done nothing to move any character forward, instead he singlehandedly tanked the entire Krakoan era with his absolute assassination of Moira MacTaggert. All the delicate character work Hickman did was ruined by Percy in one silly miniseries. That's all it took to destroy everything built up in House of X and Powers of X.

40+ issues of absolute garbage. When Hickman was overseeing things, Percy could sort of pass as a good writer, but without Hickman, his true style came through and helped to drive away any remaining Wolverine or X-Men fans. This run will likely be forgotten in a year or two, and I can't see anyone (outside of Steve Foxe), ever using any of Percy's ideas as references in future comics.
    This and Wolverine are the only titles to last from the beginning of the Krakoa status quo until it's end though.
    Everything else either got canceled or had to be relaunched.

So it doesn't appear that that the writing really drove away Wolverine fans/buyers, given that they are also likely those who single handedly kept this mess financily sustainable for so long.

Which perhaps says more about how loyal those buyers seem to be to the Wolverine "brand" than the actual quality of this book, given that the character could likely sell a title in which he does nothing but cut people up in a bar, drink beer and say nothing but "bub".
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-22-2024 at 06:38 PM.

yes those responsible for selling wolverine and x-force are mainly wolverine fan who have ensured that this mediocrity continues for 50 issues, it's the same with spider-man currently generally They don't care about the quality of the comic as long as there are their favorite characters in it, but it's also Jordan White's fault for validating the bullshit of the horrible x-death of wolverine and the character assassination of Moira who ruined the entire Krakoa era.

Percy delivered 3 catastrophic x-books I no longer expect anything from the X-Men with the arrival of Brevoort but I don't think that the future screenwriters of Wolverine and X-Force could do worse

Extraordinary Member

Silently remembers when Simon knocked out Namor with Beast present.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    I think so too. I thought that the first several issues were pretty good. But then...it changed...

I'll go ahead and post the pages from the preview:

A friend of mine brought a glaring mistake to my attention. Isn't Simon an ionic being of energy? Why would he need an oxygen tank?

Also, I wish that good-Beast would lose the glasses. Bad-Beast wore them constantly and I just associate them now with him.

I was literally going to post this about Simon. He doesn’t need to breathe. He’s also SUPER strong, so Beast could in no way get the drop on him like that…. Ugh.

Oh my, Simon. Why can't you find a writer that respects you?

For a character to appear so little, you'd think a writer would at least make it worth it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    I think so too. I thought that the first several issues were pretty good. But then...it changed...

I'll go ahead and post the pages from the preview:

A friend of mine brought a glaring mistake to my attention. Isn't Simon an ionic being of energy? Why would he need an oxygen tank?

Also, I wish that good-Beast would lose the glasses. Bad-Beast wore them constantly and I just associate them now with him.
    So much wrong with this comic. Wonder Man could have jobbed those rockets without breaking a sweat. No way X-Force would even be dumb enough to try and kill Beast while Simon (whose an Avenger mind you) could be killed. Villain Beast looks ridiculous. He looks like Gorefield (monster Garfield). The fact that Marvel is not going all out and making this comic a double sized special speaks volumes in how much confidence they have in Percy being able to successfully wrap up his story properly. Which is to say none

Evil Hank would last about 5 seconds against Wonder Man. This is embarrassing and I don't know how the hell this got past the editor. Just goes to show why Marvel is having Breevort takeover. This era brought me back to the franchise but there has been way too many times during the Krakoa era that the editors have been asleep behind the wheel.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    "Good things"
    It was good!

I didn’t care for Percy’s non-Beast stuff, but I think he nailed Hank McCoy. Always compelling.

People cry character derailment, but I truly don’t see it. This is who Beast has always had the capacity to become.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post

Percy didn't destroy Moria. Hickman did. Miriam should not have been changed I to a mutant ot brought back period
    X-Men Forever

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It was good!

I didn’t care for Percy’s non-Beast stuff, but I think he nailed Hank McCoy. Always compelling.

People cry character derailment, but I truly don’t see it. This is who Beast has always had the capacity to become.
    I have to respectfully disagree. Here's the thing: I don't even mind a 616 Hank heel turn in theory. But this one was done so, so SO poorly and sloppily and it's only excused by people who never cared for Hank before which, hey, I get that he hasn't ever been the most compelling X-character to most but I truly take issue with stuff like that Cerebrocast and people who cite those same tired talking points and incomplete storyplans as "proof" that this was "always what he was".

Reading some of the stuff even right before Krakoa and it becomes clear that Percy absolutely just twisted Hank into a wholly different character over the course of his run. That's what I take issue with, is the sheer speed at which Percy not only did the turn but the complete change in attitude. People absolutely have the capacity to change like that, sure, but with how fast and out of nowhere it happened in Percy's run was immensely jarring.

Again, I don't even mind a turn in theory. Honestly? If Percy had just basically written 616 Hank as Dark Beast (as in personality-wise), although I still would have disagreed, I feel like it not only would have been enjoyable to more people (even people that don't agree with a Hank heel turn) but it actually would have strengthened his, I guess, "point" that Hank could become this. By, you know, actually becoming Dark Beast. Instead, the biggest issue I have is that I feel that I just am not reading 616 Hank when I read his books. This is some other totally different character forced into the body of McCoy.

Astonishing Member

Tbh, anyone wanting a 'realistic' descent into darkness by Hank should read the Endangered Species back-up stories from after M-Day, written by Mike Carey. THAT actually felt believable to me. I agree 100% with the previous statement - the problem I had w/Percy's depiction of Hank is that it went 0-60 with just, absolute wild abandon. There was NO attempt at pacing, at realism, nothing. We were expected to believe that within a span of a couple years Hank went from a character with largely good intentions that caused him to sometimes dip into questionable morality to a guy who was remorselessly plotting coups and overthrowing sovereign governments, building a literal PRISON MOON where he experimented on mutants as well as humans and aliens as long as he personally deemed them the bad guys, and like, full on enslaving his own longtime teammate and friend, Logan. It was caricaturish, completely lacking in anything close to subtlety and nuance.

Tbh, the closest comparison I have to Hank under Percy's pen is pre-Claremont Magneto, and I don't think anybody really considers him a particularly compelling or nuanced villain. I'd argue whether most of the people who actually 'liked' Percy's depiction of Hank would find similarly two dimensional villain depictions compelling, or whether most of the appeal was just the novelty of someone taking a bonafide superhero and 'good guy' THIS far in this particular direction and sticking to it as long as Percy did.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 03-23-2024 at 02:11 AM.

Here is Simon joining Piotr and Santo in the "writers forgot we don't need to breath" team.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm very curious to see how this one ends.
    At this point I'm just ready for it to end so we can get to a new direction with a new creative team. Which is a shame, because this book started really strong and I loved the cast.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”