Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mulan vs the Witch King

Cartoon Mulan vs the Witch King

Live action Mulan vs the Witch King

Both against the Witch King

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Cartoon Mulan dies. There’s no Hobbit with a Nazgûl-slaying dagger, here.

Can’t speak to live-action…does she have magic powers or anything? Or a magical sword? If not, she probably dies as well.

Same deal with ‘both’.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-23-2024 at 07:41 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Didn't the Witch King get killed in the movie by a normal sword in the head? The dagger brought him down for the sword strike. However, the dagger supposedly undid his magical connections to control his 'body'. I'm sure Sharps has all the details down!

Astonishing Member

I went looking for clips of Mulan's live remake, and while I'm not a martial arts movie expert she seems reasonably skilled. She jumped off a wood beam in order to kick an arrow in mid-air into the chest of the movie's villain, from a multiple stories distance, which was as good as shooting it from a bow since he even tried to catch it in mid-air (like the Emperor character was able to moments before when he shot this arrow to him), and failed. But, while there are fantastical elements here, like the Xianniang the Witch character, Mulan doesn't seem to have magic or magical weapons, and she didn't beat Xianniang though she took a dagger to the chest from her that sent her flying backwards and into a rock. I assume she might be bouncing off Witch King.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Cartoon Mulan dies. There’s no Hobbit with a Nazgûl-slaying dagger, here.

Can’t speak to live-action…does she have magic powers or anything? Or a magical sword? If not, she probably dies as well.

Same deal with ‘both’.
    She has chi powers, nothing that Iron Fist would be impressed by, but enough to allow her to perform some modestly superhuman feats.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    She has chi powers, nothing that Iron Fist would be impressed by, but enough to allow her to perform some modestly superhuman feats.
    What with not watching her movie and watching videos with audio off due to work I might have missed stuff, what overall can she do?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    What with not watching her movie and watching videos with audio off due to work I might have missed stuff, what overall can she do?
    You've already shown the best of her feats. Basically just "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" stuff attributed to her talent with chi.

Thanks - that's all I needed to know.

Mulan gets killed. Both of them get killed.

The Witch-king died in part due to Merry's Anti-Witch-King knife. It messed him up to the point where Éowyn - despite her injuries, shock and so forth - could then stab him in the face and finish him off.

Now, one might argue that Mulan might be able to fight her way into a position where she could stab the Witch-King in the face. That's...not going to be easy, given the Witch-King is going to be trying to pulverize her at the same time. And she only gets one shot - if she doesn't kill him, poof, her sword is gone, she's infected with the Black Breath (if she isn't already, just from being near him), and she can't hurt him any more. If both Mulan are here, they get two shots at it.

Again, not a simple task given the lack of having been shanked by Merry, plus the fact that the Witch-King is hitting them with a mind-numbing fear aura that scatters armies, the Black Breath, and his mace (or flaming sword, or both). Dude is powerful enough to shatter a shield and bust a warrior's arm with a single blow; he hits one of them, they're going to feel it (not to mention at that point we're guaranteed the Black Breath, which messes humans up pretty badly). And between the fear aura and the Black Breath they're not exactly going to be fighting at their best.

But it's worse than that, and this is the reason why I'm asking if Mulan has magical powers or a magic sword.

The Witch-King is also a capable sorcerer. We don't know the extent of the powers that Sauron has granted him, but we do know he has some significant powers of destruction. For example, during the Siege of Minas Tirith, when Grond - the ram - is hammering down the front doors of the fortress, the Witch-King cries out 'words of power and terror to rend both heart and stone'. And the gates - despite being Númenorean-made - are broken in with a flash and a roll of thunder on Grond's third blow.

So why bring this up?

Because it supports the other thing the Witch-King can do that is germane to this fight: PIS-off, he can wave his hand in the general direction of his opponents and break both of their swords.

Then the [Witch-King], who was now half across the Ford, stood up menacing in his stirrups, and raised his hand. Frodo was stricken dumb. He felt his tongue cleave to his mouth, and his heart labouring. His sword broke and fell out of his shaking hand.

Fellowship of the Ring, Flight to the Ford.

So now we have two people afflicted by the massively potent fear aura who need to close with him, risk the Black Breath, and...what? Punch him?

The Witch-King takes this.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-24-2024 at 06:20 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

not speaking on LA mulan since i haven't and will ever see it fully.

but cartoon mulan wasn't never protrayed as a great warrior. she was noted for being clever and hard working. but as a straight up warrior? no. at least not to the level of fighting and/or killing the witch king.

which live action Mulan are we talking about here Disney live action Mulan or Jingle Ma's Mulan.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I'm guessing it's Disney, but how does this change if we're talking about the other Mulan?
    Why are we here?

Other Mulan doesn't use Chi and is more grounded and realistic. She uses tactics, Discipline, high skilled in combat, and leadership ( She acts like a commander) and was capable of leading a battalion through many victories. She became a General and was going to be the Commander in Chief but she decline. what changes here is that Jingle Ma's Mulan despite being more skill in tactics, Discipline, and Teamwork being a tactian and warrior, doesn't have the super human feats of her Disney live action Mulan.

would lose pretty fast.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Other Mulan doesn't use Chi and is more grounded and realistic. She uses tactics, Discipline, high skilled in combat, and leadership ( She acts like a commander) and was capable of leading a battalion through many victories. She became a General and was going to be the Commander in Chief but she decline. what changes here is that Jingle Ma's Mulan despite being more skill in tactics, Discipline, and Teamwork being a tactian and warrior, doesn't have the super human feats of her Disney live action Mulan.

would lose pretty fast.
    Thanks (I actually like the sounds of this one, as a movie...might need to track it down).

Yeah, you could throw her into the mix and it doesn't make a difference.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    not speaking on LA mulan since i haven't and will ever see it fully.

but cartoon mulan wasn't never protrayed as a great warrior. she was noted for being clever and hard working. but as a straight up warrior? no. at least not to the level of fighting and/or killing the witch king.
    I mean, I wouldn't say that the Witch King has great combat feats himself. If he's winning this, it would be pretty much wholly on the basis of his magic powers.

Does cartoon Mulan get rockets/fireworks as standard equipment? She doesn't carry them around with her, but as I recall, she does use them in both of her big fight scenes in the movie.