Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was recently stopped for speeding, but was let off with a warning when I told the officer that I was on my way home, which was only two miles away. I was so relieved as I could not afford a fine at the time, not to mention the likely increase in my insurance. But if I were rich? Yeah, I wouldn't worry about a fine or an increase in insurance. But having my license suspended or being forced to go to traffic school? That would be a deterrent for everyone.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    While I travel at faster speed in my country (around 90-100 mp/h) I can understand the need for safety if you are not used to it. But I do think that driving 55 Miles per hour on a highway for a lengthy period of time is at least as dangerous as driving 80-90 mph.
    The 55 mph limit isn't arbitrary. Apparently it's the point (or more likely 60-65) where the graph of the speed an accident happens and the likelihood of fatality just goes straight up.

It's also more difficult to get a driver's license in Germany than in the US. Germany doesn't allow Americans with licenses from a number of states (20-something if I recall) to drive when visiting. (You're better at weeding out the numbnuts.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The 55 mph limit isn't arbitrary. Apparently it's the point (or more likely 60-65) where the graph of the speed an accident happens and the likelihood of fatality just goes straight up.

It's also more difficult to get a driver's license in Germany than in the US. Germany doesn't allow Americans with licenses from a number of states (20-something if I recall) to drive when visiting. (You're better at weeding out the numbnuts.)
    I didnt know that some driver from some states aunt allowed to drive here. Good information.

And yes, getting a drivers license here is rather annoying. Its like you go to school again, and it is not getting any easier. When I see how expensive it is and how much work a young fellow has to put in...oh boy. My colleague paid 4000 Euros for it and failed the test twice, cost him a few hundred more.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    What???

Please tell me that's a mistake.
    Brain fart. Changed it.

Boisterously Confused

That is not good. That is total control in the disguise of saftey measures.
    I agree, but it's not much more of a step beyond what some insurers here are advertising: giving discounts for safe driving if you let them monitor your car. One day, they'll quit asking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I agree, but it's not much more of a step beyond what some insurers here are advertising: giving discounts for safe driving if you let them monitor your car. One day, they'll quit asking.
    Yeah. Sometimes I wish I was born in the 50´s. Life was harder and more dangerous, but had much more freedom and individual responsibility.

Yeah. Sometimes I wish I was born in the 50´s. Life was harder and more dangerous, but had much more freedom and individual responsibility.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that put you in the middle of a divided Germany? Which half would you have been in?

Astonishing Member

I was born 1977 in the west, so I lived a good life. A part of my distant family lived in the DDR, behind the walls and couldn't get out.

So, no I would like to live where I am living now. Everything else would be crazy thinking.

Boisterously Confused

Unfortunately, with the capabilities AI is exhibiting, and the rate at which those capabilities are growing, we're probably going to need some clamping down. The ability of bad actors to impact others is getting radically amplified.