Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

In terms of character development that would be positive? finally get around to revealing her actual birth name. Kwannon... isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In terms of character development that would be positive? finally get around to revealing her actual birth name. Kwannon... isn't it.
    Fallen Angels implied that it wasnt but everywhere outside of that, people call her Kwannon as if thats her first name. Until she gets a solid origin story, I think its how Logan was considered Wolverine's given name until it wasnt.

That’s kind of retxon I didn’t like because the writer could have basically introduced a whole new Asian character taking away the name Kwannon IMO would not be good.

They should give us her full name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thank god she is finally getting her own new original costume
    Big agree. I really like her new look.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I don't feel Kwannon has had much training as a telepath, so it will be very interesting to see how she uses those abilities. Though she is a formidable fighter, I want them to at least explore her psychic powers.

Fallen Angels implied that it wasnt but everywhere outside of that, people call her Kwannon as if thats her first name. Until she gets a solid origin story, I think its how Logan was considered Wolverine's given name until it wasnt.
    Well, ponder this: "Kwannon" is generally thought to be Japanese yes? well.. Kwannon is a Korean word. Now, it COULD be that she's one of the people of Korean descent living in Japan. That's been a thing for centuries TBH.

Kwannon is a Korean spelling for a certain figure in Buddhism. Also... yeah.... THAt as a personal name is just weird in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    I don't feel Kwannon has had much training as a telepath, so it will be very interesting to see how she uses those abilities. Though she is a formidable fighter, I want them to at least explore her psychic powers.
    Well as a ninja she mostly just listened to thoughts. It wasn't until the thing with Betsy that she really did offensive psionics.

Well, ponder this: "Kwannon" is generally thought to be Japanese yes? well.. Kwannon is a Korean word. Now, it COULD be that she's one of the people of Korean descent living in Japan. That's been a thing for centuries TBH.

Kwannon is a Korean spelling for a certain figure in Buddhism. Also... yeah.... THAt as a personal name is just weird in general.
    Was it Nicieza who introduced the "Kwannon" name? I wonder what FabNic had in mid back then amongst mangling the race swap tale? (yep.below...)

OH MY! Based off Mandarin's dialogue above, it seems as if "Kwannon" was referencing KANNON/Guanyin - Goddess of Mercy in Japanese and Chinese cultures . Perhaps old news, but new to this one.

Thank god she is finally getting her own new original costume
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Big agree. I really like her new look.
    Following the line of thought that Kwannon-locke exists in order to continue to capitalize on the Nimbo Psylocke IP with its established fanbase, I think it's inevitable that the ninja body finds her way back into the Hand assassin costume or a close approximation of same.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 03-24-2024 at 06:38 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Well as a ninja she mostly just listened to thoughts. It wasn't until the thing with Betsy that she really did offensive psionics.
    Might be super wrong, but wasn't it established (in Fallen Angels I think?) that she used the psyknife way before the bodyswap thing?
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Was it Nicieza who introduced the "Kwannon" name? I wonder what FabNic had in mid back then amongst mangling the race swap tale? (yep.below...)

OH MY! Based off Mandarin's dialogue above, it seems as if "Kwannon" was referencing KANNON/Guanyin - Goddess of Mercy in Japanese and Chinese cultures . Perhaps old news, but new to this one.
    That's the same thing I linked. :Þ

But yeah.... knowing what "Kwannon" means makes it obvious it was a codename from the start.

I think the xmen are long overdue a Korean character so that would be really cool.

Wonder if she would develop a psy Ssangyunggeom. That would be super cool to see

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I think the xmen are long overdue a Korean character so that would be really cool.

Wonder if she would develop a psy Ssangyunggeom. That would be super cool to see
    Id rather they create a new one than to retcon her from being Japanese to Korean decades later. After all the controversy surrounding her race for the bulk of her history, I think Marvel should leave her ethnicity alone now

But yeah.... knowing what "Kwannon" means makes it obvious it was a codename from the start.
    " Perhaps old news, but new to this one. "
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Im not trying to bring up the Psylocke debacle but way back when the Fallen Angels writer said that it wasnt her real name I was like oh this is a good work around and to just give her Kwannon as a code name because a ninja named after the goddess of mercy is pretty bad ass.

But she's locked in as Psylocke now.

When ever Jed McKay does a AMA I going to ask if he can give her a full name.

I'm hoping Steve Foxe and Jed give her some meaty character work. She remains a mystery in a lot of ways which makes me just want to learn more. It'd be cool if Greycrow pops up in X-Men from time to time.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!