Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To me it really looks like the Bunn look but wih a jacket and no sash

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    To me it really looks like the Bunn look but wih a jacket and no sash
    More art previewed.
    Kwannon looking decidedly not Asian...unless Illyana is manifesting some of those Russian Asian crossover/features.
    The garters cross on her lower torso to create an X. Feel like I've seen that somewhere...Domino maybe?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Artist have never drawn her Asian. I will direct everyone to Charles Soule’s run where every issue was a different artist. I just don’t think artist know how to draw Asian features.

Mike Choi does.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Artist have never drawn her Asian. I will direct everyone to Charles Soule’s run where every issue was a different artist. I just don’t think artist know how to draw Asian features.

Mike Choi does.
    I dont know. She's looked asian to me

Let's throw in some comparison shots. :Þ

spoilers:
    and before anyone asks, this is J-pop star Koda Kumi
    end of spoilers

Mike Choi does.
    ...on that note...ASIAN Kwannon/Psylocke Artwork Appreciation...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 04-13-2024 at 04:20 PM.

Mike Choi does.
    I think it always depend on which Asian we use as model.
    This one is 100% Chinese woman (she's an Italian cook/influencer/whatever). She might've got some plastic/modifications (lips) - I think she mentioned she did something. Anyway.
    Many of the Asian Betsy we got in the years (Claremont Run, when James resurrected her, included) didn't seem that much distant than this. The Kwannon sketch from the new X-Title actually looks similar to her.
    (I'm aware that Kwannon is Japanese - was just making an example)

Last edited by Hakka84; 04-13-2024 at 06:08 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Dang, can't believe I omitted an Alan Davis Asian from the mix. He was always great at giving each body distinct ethnic features rather than just darker hair and angled eyes.

That always brings me back to the storyline that introduced the race-swap where Wolverine recognizes Psylocke's FACE when they fight one another. I've never seen an artist really address that resemblance - likely now forgotten and buried out of storyline retcon necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    ...on that note...ASIAN Kwannon/Psylocke Artwork Appreciation...
    So Alan Davis. Kris Anka. Jim Lee. Kubert. On interiors and everyone else as just variant cover art.

Now do the same post with all the artist from Charles Soules run.

No Betsy didnt always look Asian but thats easy enough to explain. Per the Nicieza retcon, she was supposed to be biracial so that gives the artist enough wiggle room to get have gotten away with that

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Dang, can't believe I omitted an Alan Davis Asian from the mix. He was always great at giving each body distinct ethnic features rather than just darker hair and angled eyes.

That always brings me back to the storyline that introduced the race-swap where Wolverine recognizes Psylocke's FACE when they fight one another. I've never seen an artist really address that resemblance - likely now forgotten and buried out of storyline retcon necessity.
    Wolverine recognising Betsy's face made sense as per Claremont's canon that the Hand had modified Betsy's features to make her look Asian - but I believe Nicieza later retconned this moment as this being Kwannon in Betsy's original body attacking Logan?

So Alan Davis. Kris Anka. Jim Lee. Kubert. On interiors and everyone else as just variant cover art.

Now do the same post with all the artist from Charles Soules run.
    The center image is Marc Silvestr, I believe...
    Never read anything my Soule, to my knowledge, and posting artwork one dislikes isn't the point of my Appreciation. Knock yourself out, if you'd like to make your own post for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Wolverine recognising Betsy's face made sense as per Claremont's canon that the Hand had modified Betsy's features to make her look Asian - but I believe Nicieza later retconned this moment as this being Kwannon in Betsy's original body attacking Logan?
    No that is Betsy. Nicieza retcnned it such that Kwannon and Betsy swapped bodies. This is Betsy after that swap

Ultimate Member

It wasn't a straight up bodyswap, the two ladies were merged together so that the two bodies were identical to the point that even Logan couldn't tell the difference between them by their smell.

It was a body swap and they werent identical. The woman's minds were transferred into the body of one that did not belong to them. There was uncertainty bc of magic nonsense that confused the senses but they clearly were not identical. There were inconsistencies within that story bc by the end it was a retcon of a retcon and contradicted itself. Thats besides the point anyway. Lady Mandarin in that photo was always Betsy in all retelling of that original story