Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 2017-2023 Wonder Woman ongoing comic has been incredibly frustrating

During the last 3 months or so I've been catching up on the WW ongoing comic (as well as all the related minis) that came out between 2017 and 2023 (I haven't gotten to Tom King's run yet). I just finished Wonder Woman #800 and I hate saying this but I don't think I could recommend any of it. There are bright spots here and thee, sure, but there are really no satisfying conclusions to be had for any of the runs.

Right off the bat, the drop in quality following Rucka's Rebirth run is just astronomical. We first have a filler arc (Heart of the Amazon) by Shea Fontana and with the exception of Mirka Andolfo's art for the fist issue, it's just the most generic cape comic I've ever read (the government wants Wonder Woman's blood to make super soldiers). Or so I thought until I read the next 20 issues by James Robinson.

I'm honestly baffled that Robinson's run on WW is as bland and boring as it is. Robinson is a great writer but it very much feels like DC just needed someone to write the book and Robinson wasn't that interested in it. I can't even begin to stress how bland the dialogue is and how little seems to happen across 20 issues. I immediately got the sense that Robinson doesn't know how to write Diana so he introduces her long-lost brother instead (something that was, admittedly, hinted at in Johns' Darkseid War). Speaking of Darkseid War, Darkseid and Grail return here and the story attempts to follow up on Johns' JL but Darkseid and Grail are both one-dimensional mustache-twirling villains who simply monologue at WW every chance they get. As a follow-up to Darkseid War, this was wholly unsatisfying. And finally we have the Dark Gods arc which, while a little more interesting in concept than what came before, still suffers from boring writing and the conclusion feels incredibly rushed.

Next up is one of the bright spots of this entire era - Steve Orlando's The Enemy of Both Sides arc. After 25 issues of pure mediocrity (and worse) these five issues felt like a fresh breeze. First there's a one-issue story about WW rehabilitating a villain by offering compassion and friendship and I immediately got the sense that Orlando gets the character. And in the following four issues Orlando lays a lot of groundwork for more Amazon characters and politics getting incorporated into the stories to come (something that I very much like) by reintroducing the Bana-Mighdall and characters like Atalanta, Faruka and Artemis. Good stuff.

When I got to G. Willow Wilson's run I was pretty excited as I had enjoyed quite a few of her books in the past. It turned out to be a bit of mixed bag for me though. Wilson does something that I generally don't like by introducing a bunch of new characters that take away focus from the established ones. In this case in the form of a comedic relief trio made up of a pegasus, a minotaur and a satyr and also a new human character named Maggie that is meant to be our window into the world of WW. I personally feel like Wonder Woman herself should be our window into the story and if you need to introduce a new character it kind of indicates that you don't know how to write the main character. I've often observed that a lot of writers show WW through the eyes of other characters because they don't know how to write her as character. BUT Willow's writing is so good that I was able to overlook all of that here. Wilson actually makes a real attempt to build on the lore that was set up way back in Rucka's Rebirth run, picks up on loose plot threads and makes the Greek Gods actual characters again. So, I was quite enjoying thus run. Until the last third, the Loveless arc. The only explanation for the sharp drop in quality is that there were editorial mandates related to the Year of the Villain crossover/event (have not read any of it) that completely derailed the run. Diana's and Steve's romance being done away with felt especially egregious but it's not like anyone post-Rucka had any idea what to do with Steve anyway. And then Wilson bails to do another comic and we have another unsatisfying end to the run. If I were to recommend this run to anyone then I guess I'd tell them to read issues #58-76 as a follow-up to Rucka's Rebirth run and then bail on the last 5 issues.

So, after DC has run the book into the ground again they bring back Orlando who tries his best to tie up loose ends from Wilson's run and also follows up on his aforementioned Enemy of Both Sides arc. I don't think he's entirely successful in concluding Wilson's story but it's also hard to blame him. And he continues to do good work by building up the Amazons and their politics. Orlando's stint also ends with pretty much the restoration of the status quo that we last saw in Rucka's original run with the Amazons establishing an embassy in man's world. As that original Rucka run is still my all-time favourite then I was really happy to see that. I was excited to see this new status quo getting fully explored. So, of course, Orlando's second stint on the book gets followed up by a Maxwell Lord-focused filler arc by Mario Tamaki and then the book changes direction completely after the Dark Nights: Death Metal event.

Finally, we've come to the Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad run. In terms of issue count it's the longest since Azzarello's. So you'd think that finally there will be a clear direction for the book and we get some great long-form storytelling. Sadly, that is not the case. This run is perhaps the worst example of a wasted opportunity. The first 4 issues where Diana is in Valhalla are probably the best issues because there's so much potential right out of the gate (not to mention the gorgeous artwork by Travis Moore) but then the remainder of the arc starts to really drag and as for the rest of this run...woof. You have a writing team that for the life of them can't end a single story arc in a way that doesn't feel rushed and unsatisfying. Modern comics are mostly better reads in collected editions but this WW run is the opposite. When you read it in chunks then it becomes super obvious that the writers have no idea where they're going with the story. Altuum the Survivor is a good example of that. He gets introduced in the 2021 annual as an interesting new big bad, then barely appears in the next 6 issues, cameos in the Trial of the Amazons event and is then done away with in the first half of the following issue. Absolutely baffling. First time Ive felt an author has undiagnosed ADHD. Additionally, they also don't know how to write or what to do with most pf the characters (Steve, Etta and Siegfried are kind of just there for the entire run). If I had to say something positive about this era it's that I like the extent to which other Amazon characters are involved with the story and that they got a number of minis. But seriously, if writers don't know what to do with Steve and Etta then maybe just replace them with Donna, Artemis, Cassie and Yara. I'd read that book.

I'm honestly not trying to be a hater but I came away incredibly frustrated. If I had to recommend WW comics to a normie then after all these years it still boils down to three runs - the two Rucka runs and Azzarello's (I know it's controversial in many ways but at least it feels like it's somebody's consistent vision for the character and a complete experience). Before anyone jumps on me, I fully admit that I haven't read anything WW-related prior to Rucka's original run so that's why I didn't include Perez' or Jimenez' runs. I remember not liking Simone's run very much but I've been thinking of revisiting it to see if maybe I feel differently about it now.

I'll soon be diving into Tom King's run. I have never read any of his books so I'm curious if I fall in the love or hate camp (his writing seems to be very divisive). I will say this though, the Tom King story in Wonder Woman 800 that I assume serves as a set-up for his run was more intriguing than anything written by Cloonan and Conrad.

Anyone agree with my overall sentiment regarding the quality of the ongoing WW comic or am I just whack?
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-24-2024 at 09:15 AM.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement here. Orlando was pretty much the sole consistent bright spot after Rucka left.

I'm, mostly, enjoying King's run at the moment. It has flaws but the story actually feels like it's taking big swings, WW's characterization is mostly solid, and Sampere's art is pretty great.

If you want a good WW story to check out that came out in between '17 - '23, I'd recommend Wonder Woman: Historia by DeConnick. It's probably the first WW story since Perez in the 80s that really feels like it's elevating WW's whole world. It's New 52 Wonder Woman but not made for people who hate WW.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-24-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think you'll find much disagreement here. Orlando was pretty much the sole consistent bright spot after Rucka left.

I'm, mostly, enjoying King's run at the moment. It has flaws but the story actually feels like it's taking big swings, WW's characterization is mostly solid, and Sampere's art is pretty great.

If you want a good WW story to check out that came out in between '17 - '23, I'd recommend Wonder Woman: Historia by DeConnick. It's probably the first WW story since Perez in the 80s that really feels like it's elevating WW's whole world. It's New 52 Wonder Woman but not made for people who hate WW.
    I will never understand why DC didn't move heaven and earth to get Orlando to write the ongoing. He proved himself twice and DC just shrugged.

As for Historia, I have it on my TBR list along with Wonder Woman: Dead Earth, Wonder Woman: Evolution, Wonder Woman: Black & Gold, Wonder Woman: Earth One, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me and Sensational Wonder Woman (the digital first series). I really am trying to find WW comics I can recommend to my non-comic reading friends.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I will never understand why DC didn't move heaven and earth to get Orlando to write the ongoing. He proved himself twice and DC just shrugged.

As for Historia, I have it on my TBR list along with Wonder Woman: Dead Earth, Wonder Woman: Evolution, Wonder Woman: Black & Gold, Wonder Woman: Earth One, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me and Sensational Wonder Woman (the digital first series). I really am trying to find WW comics I can recommend to my non-comic reading friends.
    Id say that Historia should definitely be at the top of your list. It's probably the first Id introduce my friends to out of this list.

WW:Evolution was sadly a let down imo.

Yeah, a shame Orlando was always just the fill-in guy.

Of the the other titles you've brought up. I'd recommend Wonder Woman: Black and & Gold, it's hit-and-miss like most anthologies but there's some real gems in there. Hoping DC does another one some day.

I'm honestly not trying to be a hater but I came away incredibly frustrated. If I had to recommend WW comics to a normie then after all these years it still boils down to three runs - the two Rucka runs and Azzarello's (I know it's controversial in many ways but at least it feels like it's somebody's consistent vision for the character and a complete experience). Before anyone jumps on me, I fully admit that I haven't read anything WW-related prior to Rucka's original run so that's why I didn't include Perez' or Jimenez' runs. I remember not liking Simone's run very much but I've been thinking of revisiting it to see if maybe I feel differently about it now.
    You had me 'til here.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    You had me 'til here.

Haha, yeah I get that people hate that run. I only started reading Wonder Woman around 2014 or 2015 (when the hype for BvS was building) and I just consumed all the modern runs (Rucka, Heinberg/Picoult/Pfeifer, Simone, JMS and Azzarello) in a row so I didn't go into the New 52 run with decades or even years of preconceived notions of what a Wonder Woman comic should be. Even though it's a wild departure (I get that even more now in hindsight), I appreciate it because it has a distinct voice and it's consistent. I love the Rucka runs for the same reasons.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-24-2024 at 11:52 AM.

Mighty Member

799 was my first ever WW comic and I enjoyed it enough.
    I've not started King's stuff yet, but I hear it's good.

I nearly bought the prior run once but stopped myself to get King's Mister miracle instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    You had me 'til here.
    Characterization and plot details aside (that sadly would go unnoticed to a novel Wonder Woman reader), Azzarello's run has the benefit of actually feeling like a complete story and has modern dialogue. I would never recommend it, but I can see why others would.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Volume 5 was truly a mess. To think that after her movie turned out very successful they decided it was a great time to do that awful Jason story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Characterization and plot details aside (that sadly would go unnoticed to a novel Wonder Woman reader), Azzarello's run has the benefit of actually feeling like a complete story and has modern dialogue. I would never recommend it, but I can see why others would.
    What I would add to that is that I would recommend it to people along with the Rucka runs. In that context it almost becomes a weird 35-issue dream. And it helps one understand what is happening in Rucka's second run.

Apart from Orlando, I also enyojed Cloonrad's run, at least when It wasnt dragged down by all the events. Really felt like they had a story cooking, but when the moment came there wasnt. But at least Afterworlds, the back home, and the Doctor Psycho arcs were funny lectures.

Historia (mostly), Black and Gold, the Jordie Bellaire YA comics, Earth One, and Dead Earth were also great, but Im the weirdo here. Alltho, please, avoid Evolution, that was such a disapointing lecture...

If you wanna know if youll like Tom Kings run, try to also read his story for the 80th aniversary. I just love how this guy writes Super and Wondy, but again: weirdo.

Also, oh my god, Im so tired of Donna fans. Shes gonna appear again on Tom Kings run and her fans will find a new way to hate it if she isnt the protagonist and instead of just saying "I didnt like this", they will go and say that Tom King is the worst because he eats babies or some **** like that.
    Last edited by Garrac; 03-24-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Apart from Orlando, I also enyojed Cloonrad's run, at least when It wasnt dragged down by all the events. Really felt like they had a story cooking, but when the moment came there wasnt. But at least Afterworlds, the back home, and the Doctor Psycho arcs were funny lectures.

Also, oh my god, Im so tired of Donna fans.
    That's a perfect way to describe their run.

What's up with Donna fans?

I agree with practically everything you state here.
    Although Rucka's run is the best of volume 5, I don't think it's a marvel either, his Year One is nowhere near the perfection of Perez's year one, the new versions of the villains are inferior to the originals, his Cheetah never worked for me, not to mention the militarized Dr. Poison and the more than obvious Dr. Cyber. His Steve Trevor's is superior and the best of all times, and his Etta Candy is still a mistake (like all post-crisis Ettas) that is not even close to Marston's original character.
    I particularly like Cloonrad's first 15 issues, then with TotA everything falls apart. I also think they have the best addition of a new character since Messner-Loebs' Artemis, the wonderful Siggy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I agree with practically everything you state here.
    Although Rucka's run is the best of volume 5, I don't think it's a marvel either, his Year One is nowhere near the perfection of Perez's year one, the new versions of the villains are inferior to the originals, his Cheetah never worked for me, not to mention the militarized Dr. Poison and the more than obvious Dr. Cyber. His Steve Trevor's is superior and the best of all times, and his Etta Candy is still a mistake (like all post-crisis Ettas) that is not even close to Marston's original character.
    I particularly like Cloonrad's first 15 issues, then with TotA everything falls apart. I also think they have the best addition of a new character since Messner-Loebs' Artemis, the wonderful Siggy.
    I just wish that he got something to do after his reappearance on Earth. Steve and Siegfried just became wacky roommates and their relationship to Diana was never properly addressed.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-24-2024 at 01:18 PM.