Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    What I would add to that is that I would recommend it to people along with the Rucka runs. In that context it almost becomes a weird 35-issue dream. And it helps one understand what is happening in Rucka's second run.
    Honestly not sure if I would recommend both Azzarello's and Rucka's second run back-to-back, because if you do end up liking Azzarello's you get imminently shat on by being told it's not real. At least the Finch run kinda softens that blow with it's mediocre writing.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Honestly not sure if I would recommend both Azzarello's and Rucka's second run back-to-back, because if you do end up liking Azzarello's you get imminently shat on by being told it's not real. At least the Finch run kinda softens that blow with it's mediocre writing.
    I feel like having to read the Finch run is far worse. :P

I feel like having to read the Finch run is far worse. :P
    touche

10 char
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, a shame Orlando was always just the fill-in guy.
    Nothing is more aggravating that he got relegated to that in between the more hyped writers (Robinson and Wilson) who weren't worth the hype at all.

In an ideal world, Rucka would have been on longer, and Orlando would have been given the keys to the kingdom when he left. If we went from Rucka>Orlando>King, we'd have the best consecutive stretches since Jimenez>Rucka.

I agree with everything that the Original poster said

Steve Orlando and Tom King are fans, maybe Tom will ask Steve to write something in the future, since Tom recognizes Steve's attention to the Wonder Woman universe

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, I can't think of two runs that have more disparate views of Wonder Woman. It'd be like jumping from like Kanigher straight to Perez.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nothing is more aggravating that he got relegated to that in between the more hyped writers (Robinson and Wilson) who weren't worth the hype at all.

In an ideal world, Rucka would have been on longer, and Orlando would have been given the keys to the kingdom when he left. If we went from Rucka>Orlando>King, we'd have the best consecutive stretches since Jimenez>Rucka.
    Yeah, Orlando's "52 Visit" pretty much laps everything from the Robinson and Wilson runs.

I think the problem with Orlando is that, despite getting some critical acclaim none of his stuff ended up as a sales hit. On paper Tamaki, Robinson and Wilson are bigger names and thats probably why they got more focus.

Majority would agree with you. Only contention you’ll find here is whether Azz’s run is worth reading (I enjoyed it even if I fully accept and understand the criticisms of it, and I think Rucka’s Rebirth run is more enjoyable having read Azz’s run so you understand what it’s reacting against). Every so often in spite of DC’s incompetence, one of the non-Bat characters finally hits a hot streak. For Flash it was the CW show, for WW and Aquaman it was their movies, for Young Justice it was their cartoon, etc. and what happens every time is DC completely wastes the chance to level the character up in the comics. Wonder Woman manages to get DC’s first true success in theaters? Let’s dump Robinson on her book to tie up Johns plot threads he can’t be bothered with.

DC simply does not know how to sustain success with anyone other than Batman and it will piss you off if you’re unfortunate enough to have a fave break out only for DC to run them back into the ground.

I guess in all fairness this was around the time people were demanding more women writers on WW and DC made an effort to find them - but this stretch of time disabused me of any notion that women make for “better” WW writers. If anything queer men tend to be the best WW writers, and straight women tend to be terrible with KSD being the only real exception recently. Sucks she isn’t interested in doing a run on Diana herself, I wish she would reconsider. I think it would help Historia sales if KSD took on the main book too.

FWIW I think King is the first one since Rucka to bring a sense of importance back to the book. It’s not aimless, there’s a clear bad guy and a theme that King is exploring, and it’s resulted in a level of excitement and interest that WW hasn’t seen since Rucka left. Also Sampere is a beast on art, in the wake of guys like Ivan Reis departing DC, Sampere is one of the three big guns.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Flash actually had a big sales boost due to the CW run. In early Rebirth it was second in sales only behind Batman.

DiDio even said it was the only time in his entire tenure he saw synergy actually boosting a book.

Haha, yeah I get that people hate that run. I only started reading Wonder Woman around 2014 or 2015 (when the hype for BvS was building) and I just consumed all the modern runs (Rucka, Heinberg/Picoult/Pfeifer, Simone, JMS and Azzarello) in a row so I didn't go into the New 52 run with decades or even years of preconceived notions of what a Wonder Woman comic should be. Even though it's a wild departure (I get that even more now in hindsight), I appreciate it because it has a distinct voice and it's consistent. I love the Rucka runs for the same reasons.
    Consistency doesn't really matter when the Azz run exists in its own little pocket universe. Your friends who you recommend Azz's run to might like it and then be disappointed when they find out that's not even remotely close to Wonder Woman's mythos and legacy, and not want to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Consistency doesn't really matter when the Azz run exists in its own little pocket universe. Your friends who you recommend Azz's run to might like it and then be disappointed when they find out that's not even remotely close to Wonder Woman's mythos and legacy, and not want to read more.
    Yeah, a newbie would walk out of Azzarello's run knowing even less about Wonder Woman and her mythos than they did before.

Lets not get crazy here.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Lets not get crazy here.
    Just stating facts

Fantastic Member

I will never understand why DC didn't move heaven and earth to get Orlando to write the ongoing. He proved himself twice and DC just shrugged.

As for Historia, I have it on my TBR list along with Wonder Woman: Dead Earth, Wonder Woman: Evolution, Wonder Woman: Black & Gold, Wonder Woman: Earth One, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me and Sensational Wonder Woman (the digital first series). I really am trying to find WW comics I can recommend to my non-comic reading friends.
    It seems like you have read a lot or at least put a lot on your list so you probably have, but have you read The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae De Liz and Roy Dillon? It's a great Elseworld.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

The Rebirth era felt like crossing the Sahara desert, I liked Year One but it was only downhill from there. It wasn’t outrageously bad by any means, it was arguably worse than that…Rebirth was unbearably mediocre imo (sort of like a Marvel movie). You don’t love it, don’t hate it, don’t love to hate it, you get nothing out of it…a true sign of the times