Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    While I thoroughly enjoy the Omega storyline, its behind the scenes workings sort of take out a bit of its lustre for me. It was treated as a sort of fill-in story, despite its great overall importance (Brainy is revealed insane, Matter-Eater Lad loses his own sanity when he is forced to eat the Miracle Machine, The Legion's HQ is once again totalled, etc...). It was created by Jim Starlin who intended it to be published in the same oversized story format that the Legion was being published at the time, yet, its publishing was pushed about a year into the future, when the Legion had gone back to the 22 pages format, so the tale had to be adapted. Starlin was a bit upset to how DC treated his story, so he refused to have his name attached to the story, hence it was credited to "Steve Apollo." It is the follow-up for the murder of Ann Rydd storyline, which foccusses heavily on Ultra-Boy, yet he barely has a couple of lines in the Omega storyline. Wildfire is clearly shown as the leader of the team (as he was when the story was supposed to be published), yet Lightning Lad, who had just been elected team leader a couple of issues before, barely has any lines in the story. The addaptation clearly left other plotholes in the story. Had it been published in the right sequence, I'm sure an oversized two-parter Legion story by the legendary Jim Starlin (who had already established a reputation as a great "cosmic" writer), with so many important ramifications would be an undisputed milestone. As it is, for me at least, it still leaves a taste of what could have been in my mouth.

Peace
    You're an expert sir. I bow to your knowledge.

==jthree

Legion of Super Villains

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    You're an expert sir. I bow to your knowledge.

==jthree
    You're too kind. But most of the info I posted is right here in these boards, in the Legion Threads. I'm sure there are others who can offer even more insight than I did.

Peace

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    A) Nura/Dream Girl - more of a side point/question rather than anything with her precognition catching on to Yera. Hasn't she been shown to be able to focus her precognitive sight so that she can see her opponents moves in a fight making her formidable hand to hand fighter? Maybe that was something from a different incarnation of the character? Threeboot?

B) Imra/Saturn Girl - haven't Durlans been said to have difficult to read minds because of their biological fluidity? So Irma would have noticed a change in accessibility to "Vi's" thoughts but not specifics, in that case.
    Don't most of us misinterpret or even ignore a red flag that's coming off somebody we love and trust?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Don't most of us misinterpret or even ignore a red flag that's coming off somebody we love and trust?
    While that's possible, I never got the impression that Violet and Imra were at the lovey-trusty level. More like the 'one of the twenty-five plus people I work with, but don't really hang out with' level.

Imra's pretty frosty, and glommed pretty fast onto Garth, with most of the other Legionnaires getting less of her focus, IMO. Rokk and Brainy might be the two I'd expect her to be somewhat more aware of, to maybe notice something up with them.

*Gim* on the other hand, was totally into Violet, and he's probably the Legionnaire most likely to notice something off with her. But since he wanted to be with her, and suddenly, was, he probably just thought he'd finally hit the jackpot and she noticed him the way he always wished she did!

If the Legion was a smaller team, like the Justice League, or Teen Titans, I'd be more critical (and even they've had imposter/traitor-on-the-team nonsense, with even less plausible crap like Terra's poker face somehow fooling Raven's *empathy*, which, unlike Imra's telepathy, was 'always on' and she totally used on her teammates, as Wally could attest...). Or if it was established friends who are often seen hanging out together, like Sun Boy and Star Boy, or Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass, for that matter.

I did like that it was Chameleon Boy who got all up in the reveal. Not just because he's a Durlan, too, but because he's the head of the Espionage Squad and that's totally his wheelhouse!

Astonishing Member

I will add that in the Bronze Age -- even late Bronze Age, writers were still using comic book reality to get away with lapses like this. Some of these stick out like a sore thumb when being read today. I don't recall the exact details, but in one of Levitz's stories, Cosmic Boy (or some other Legionnaire) is handling metal just after it's been heated by Sun Boy -- when in reality, Cos's hands would be immediately burnt or worse.

So while it stretches reality to think that Imra wouldn't do a minor check on Vi she she was exhibiting strange behavior (going gaga over Gim), that was the reality Levitz was using for his story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I will add that in the Bronze Age -- even late Bronze Age, writers were still using comic book reality to get away with lapses like this. Some of these stick out like a sore thumb when being read today. I don't recall the exact details, but in one of Levitz's stories, Cosmic Boy (or some other Legionnaire) is handling metal just after it's been heated by Sun Boy -- when in reality, Cos's hands would be immediately burnt or worse.

So while it stretches reality to think that Imra wouldn't do a minor check on Vi she she was exhibiting strange behavior (going gaga over Gim), that was the reality Levitz was using for his story.
    Oh gosh, comic book physics are just crazy. I blow on this metal slag I melted with my heat vision and it turns into chains I'll bind Titania with! What sorcery is this? I can't even make a smoke bubble, and Mon-El can make a bunch of connected chain links with some exotic Daxamite lip-puckering technique? Bah.

Plus the whole line about chains being the proper way to treat her didn't age spectacularly well. :/

Extraordinary Member

Has anyone mentioned The Terra Mosaic from 5YL?

The art wasn't that great but that was an emotional roller coaster of events in that story.