Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #132 - Fall of X #12 - Review/Spoilers

Nick Roche really had a blast doing the art for this one!

The recap page reminds us that Gideon tracked the video feed from the nanotech inside the sacrificed Madrox dupe and has now launched a counterattack. Gideon has indeed hacked the X-Corps system and is in control of the hidden island. He says in seconds the firewalls will be embers and in minutes he'll have access to their every secret. He'll then cast the island into the rocks below.

Dani says Betsy is already on the psychic hunt for Gideon but it'll be difficult to find him. If she does she and Shatterstar will hit him hard. Dani is rushing through a corridor following Wiz-Kid and Trinary as Taki says there's isn't enough time but they do have other options. They lead Dani to a room she's unaware of and inside are suits they have constructed. They remind her that Taki can technoform machines and Trinary can telepathically control technology.

This is so freakin' cool!

They lower down and into the main network of the island (? I don't understand technology in general lol) and ask Dani to stay topside in case more Externals show up. They're now inside X-Corps Island's digital network and the art is awesome.

They find the malware in the form of Gideon's floating head in digi-red and his ponytail looking like network cables. Floating head Gideon tells them that seven of the world's most elite hacking farms are disassembling their code from the inside out. He owns the hacking farms, of course.

Gideon fires orbs at Taki and Trinary that turn into the likeness of Cannonball. LOL! Trinary is like why and Taki says Gideon is trying to dunk on them because Sam once thought he was an External, the External of hope. Turned out Sam was wrong and hope is not part of their philosophy, Taki says. He starts firing at the Sam-orbs with his tech tank as Trinary slashes at Gideon's cables in an attempt to disconnect him. Taki mentions that though he doesn't know Sam very well he's sure he wouldn't take kindly to this likeness abuse. He says what they do have in common though is that they had the same teacher in Cable, as Taki's tank pops out over a dozen guns. He takes out the rest of the Sam-orbs as Trinary cuts the last of Gideon's cables.

She tells Taki to take out Gideon's viral core before he can generate more and Taki now how this ridiculously huge gun that his tank has turned into. It's hilarious. He fires it and Gideon's head explodes. They return to the surface sweaty but happy, announcing to Dani who is waiting for them that they were successful in getting rid of Gideon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Dani: Great job, you two. It's good our hardware is safe. But while you engaged him in there, out here, he took the opportunity...

Really fun and comical at times issue while still keeping the stakes high, what with the island now in free fall! Can't wait for the next one.

As always, a fun read and character beats everywhere !

On Unlimited today we also got the last issues of Iceman and Nightcrawler solos. Iceman, while unambitious, was actually a good book ! Nightcrawler was great, except maybe for the too-meta Hopesword. Glad Spurrier could go out with a great mini.
    There's also Original X-men and Wolverine's solo but I'm not reading that.

It feels weird to actually say goodbye to this era one bit at a time.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Does anyone know until what issue number this story is? I just want it to go on forever. I am loving it!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

This has got to be one of my favorite issues so far. The art and action were good, and it was just amazing seeing Wiz Kid and Trinary get their moment.

Astonishing Member

One might wonder if the writer is allowed more creative freedom in this series because the editorial does not consider the imprint of much importance to both their core publishing system or canon in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does anyone know until what issue number this story is? I just want it to go on forever. I am loving it!
    It's 20 parts so there are 8 more issues left.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    One might wonder if the writer is allowed more creative freedom in this series because the editorial does not consider the imprint of much importance to both their core publishing system or canon in general?
    It's definitely canon. When the X-Office handed the keys to Steve Foxe and Steve Orlando after the Gala they decided to utilize the Infinity Comics to directly connect to the main books. This arc is their Fall of X companion story which has referenced the Gala several times. We also got to see what Sunspot was doing when the Gala was happening and why he missed it. The Redroot/Sunfire saga that started their run directly impacted X-Men Red in a big way.

The Steve's and the art team are just knocking it out of the park and I think part of it has to do with how short the stories are. They just get right to the point, there isn't fluff/filler material that many regular print books have.

No data page, which is already a plus.

Nice moments for Trinary and Wiz Kid. He defo needs a new code name IMO

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Absolute chef's kisses, and yes, Sibz...genius, perfection! Lovelovelove seeing Shilpa and Taki in full action. Can't wait for the next installment!

If this entire team isn't utilised someway, somehow in the Brevoort Era then our world really is human waste and humanity deserves whatever miseries and catastrophies the end-times will bring.

I already know how I'm voting for as my top picks for best story, and writers in 2024 in the year-end vote.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-25-2024 at 08:29 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Absolute chef's kisses, and yes, Sibz...genius, perfection! Lovelovelove seeing Shilpa and Taki in full action. Can't wait for the next installment!

If this entire team isn't utilised someway, somehow in the Brevoort Era then our world really is human waste and humanity deserves whatever miseries and catastrophies the end-times will bring.

I already know how I'm voting for as my top picks for best story, and writers in 2024 in the year-end vote.
    Hear, hear! I mean come on, how cool is Trinary in her armor and those Cannonball-cannonballs?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

These creators' ability to spotlight underserved characters and have them do cool things is one of this runs strongest suits and this issue is no exception. I really like the work the Steves have done with both Trinary and Wiz-Kid here - we've seen before how Steve Orlando has a knack for looking at a character's powers and find new angles to them and the whole story has been a great display of that. I hope we get something of the "psychic hunt" Betsy was engaged with in the next issue... while they're all falling from the sky.

The whole team is having a lot of fun with this story.

Nick Roche:
    https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status...61855916187997

Hey futurechild! X-MEN UNLIMITED 132 is out NOW on the @MarvelUnlimited app. And in this chapter, @thesteveorlando and @steve_foxe wrote me a Tron-tastic, Reboot-errific cyberpunk mecha issue! 6 pages of THESE GUYS, with SO MUCH NEON from @nitro_yen!

TO ME, MY MECHS-MEN!

Steve Orlando:
    https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/...77961846100269

Today's dialogue is basically just what it's like when @steve_foxe and I talk. I am the one too focused on Linguistics. Foxe is the practical one.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Dani: Great job, you two. It's good our hardware is safe. But while you engaged him in there, out here, he took the opportunity...

Really fun and comical at times issue while still keeping the stakes high, what with the island now in free fall! Can't wait for the next one.
    Monet (at some point): You want the X-Corp? Sure, why not: it's not that me and Warren have needs for it any way. So ok? Here's the key to the X-Corp island, have fun! Just... be careful with it, 'Berto. She's brand new!

*two minutes later the island is free-falling from the sky*
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Incredible Member

This story arc has been absolute fire. I look forward to this story every week. The love they are showing the characters is shows they have a great understanding of the cast and also the villains they are using. Good stuff