Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why do some fans insist on every Batman adaptation being fantastical?

This has been a major source of discourse since the second Nolan Batman film and has only become more prominent since the Matt Reeves movie, with fans taking particular offense at the idea that Robin may not be featured and none of the villains will have superpowers.

What I don't understand is why fans act like these movies are the only Batman adaptations we're getting. The various video games, animated series and films contain the colorful elements from the comics they prefer. Why is it an issue that a handful of live action films take a more grounded approach?

Astonishing Member

I'm a huge fan of both Nolan movies and Reeves' Batman. Doesn't change the fact, that there are elements from comics I want to see in the movies. I want to see comicbook accurate Freeze, Clayface, Ra's, Man-Bat and Court of Owls, I want to see Bat-Family: Dick, Damian, Cass, Barbara and the rest. I want to see more gothic, supernatural take on Gotham.
    What I don't understand is why fans act like these movies are the only Batman adaptations we're getting. The various video games, animated series and films contain the colorful elements from the comics they prefer. Why is it an issue that a handful of live action films take a more grounded approach?
    What adaptations? Caped Crusader is also set to be more grounded take, Arkham games are over and don't get me started at Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights. Animated movies, unfortunately, haven't been really impressive for a long time.
    It's the reason why I'm rooting for TBATB movie - because it's our only chance to actually see more comicbook accurate take. If it fails, we're stuck with takes, that made by people, who are ashamed by source material.

Why do some fans only want Batman movies to have a grounded realistic take on Batman? Even though the entire idea is about a man running around in a bat costume which itself is already ridiculous.

It's been nearly 30 years since the last Batman movie where it had more fantasy elements in Batman and Robin. So it seems perfectly reasonable to want a more comic accurate Batman movie adaptation after so long especially given how much better effects are now. I feel like when you ask for that people immediately start foaming at the mouth screaming about how bad Batman and Robin was. No one is asking for a remake of Batman and Robin and want some campy Batman. You can still have a serious and dark Batman movie while having horror, sci-fi, or fantasy elements in it. The Batman the Animated Series showed that for a kids show decades ago.

Those elements aren't fantastical, they are Batman.

There have been countless Batman stories and runs proving that anything from his mythology can be done, and with any tone. When people say stuff like Robin or some supervillain with powers shouldn't be in the movies because it would sacrifice tone, they seem like they have a limited understanding of Batman's history. Or maybe a lack of faith in Warner Bros to actually do it justice. By limiting the villains they could include and not using the Batfamily, they're sacrificing vital elements of the character because they're afraid of dismantling some false image people have conceived.

All the DC heroes and villains, all of the Batfamily can exist in the universe of the Batman (2022) and I believe anyone who feels different is being naive. The tone of a single film and its subject matter is not representative of an entire universe and its capabilities.
    Last edited by James Cameron; 03-25-2024 at 02:16 AM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Why do some fans only want Batman movies to have a grounded realistic take on Batman? Even though the entire idea is about a man running around in a bat costume which itself is already ridiculous.

It's been nearly 30 years since the last Batman movie where it had more fantasy elements in Batman and Robin. So it seems perfectly reasonable to want a more comic accurate Batman movie adaptation after so long especially given how much better effects are now. I feel like when you ask for that people immediately start foaming at the mouth screaming about how bad Batman and Robin was. No one is asking for a remake of Batman and Robin and want some campy Batman. You can still have a serious and dark Batman movie while having horror, sci-fi, or fantasy elements in it. The Batman the Animated Series showed that for a kids show decades ago.
    ^^^I feel the same way.

As an example, the Justice League movie was (imo) pretty awful, but the scene w. Batman fighting the Parademon was great. Seeing that sort of action transferred over to Freeze, Clayface, Man-Bat…would be pretty sweet.

Because I can't take realistic Batman anymore. And not even Batman at the beginning. For me, they had to adapt Batma R.I.P.

Right? God forbid they try something new.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This has been a major source of discourse since the second Nolan Batman film and has only become more prominent since the Matt Reeves movie, with fans taking particular offense at the idea that Robin may not be featured and none of the villains will have superpowers.

The novelty of a grounded Batman take wore off. Some fans want something new.

I have soft spot for Matt Reeves's Batman but I would've preferred him tackling the Question instead. The Question feels like a better fit for the grounded crime drama than Batman and Green Arrow to me.

Although Reeves Batman becoming more horror themed is interesting. I guess I just like Batman with a low key mystical vibe like Ram V's detective comics.

My ideal take would be something like Telltale's Batman and the Young Justice cartoon. A grounded fleshed out take that acknowledges the outlandishness of it.

I don't care for Robin anymore but I'm fine with Batman having partners. I was cool with Katana's presence in Beware the Batman. I'm hoping John David Washington pops up as Bronze Tiger in the Reeves take.

TDLR- It's a change of pace.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-25-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    What adaptations? Caped Crusader is also set to be more grounded take, Arkham games are over and don't get me started at Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights. Animated movies, unfortunately, haven't been really impressive for a long time.
    It's the reason why I'm rooting for TBATB movie - because it's our only chance to actually see more comicbook accurate take. If it fails, we're stuck with takes, that made by people, who are ashamed by source material.
    At least until you see some of he designs. Catwoman is going to be straight up Golden Age which is very much not grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

What adaptations?
    The DCAU, The Batman (Kids WB), Batman: The Brave & The Bold, Beware The Batman.

Batman's media presence is vast, you're bound to find plenty that suits your taste.

You can still have a serious and dark Batman movie while having horror, sci-fi, or fantasy elements in it. The Batman the Animated Series showed that for a kids show decades ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Right? God forbid they try something new.

That's my point. If you want a serious and dark Batman with fantastic and sci-fi elements, you're already spoiled for choice. A live-action movie with these concepts wouldn't be anything new because they've been done before.

I find when you try to ground and portray a realistic Batman universe, you sap a lot of the fun and energy out of it. Instead of being it's own thing, it becomes a immitation of something else.

Have you seen the new Penguin trailer? Nothing in that says "Penguin" to me. It just feels like any other generic mob movie.

That's my point. If you want a serious and dark Batman with fantastic and sci-fi elements, you're already spoiled for choice. A live-action movie with these concepts wouldn't be anything new because they've been done before.
    But what if you want to see more of that in the movies?

Unless you think people just want realistic and gritty Batman in the movies?

It would be new in the context of live-action.

Yeah, we should be thankful for cartoons and video games. But movies? No, those are just for the grounded and realistic Batman fans.
    We've had two decades of Nolan and Matt Reeves, but can't have something a little different. "Stay in your lane, here's a cartoon for you."
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

The problem is, this realistic take on Batman (and Joker in case with Phillips) is an attempt to cater people, who hates the entire genre. It's this mentality, that if you want to make a superhero movie, which the pretentious public will treat as ''true cinema'', you have to get rid of lots of things that actually are vital part of the entire Batman mythology. You want Martin Scorsese to not call your movie ''not cinema''? So make it like it has nothing to do with comics. No sci fi elements, no mystical/magical elements. You can't have a proper Mr. Freeze story in this kind of setting, even though, I'm sure, Reeves would do a fantastic job with him. The same goes for Scarecrow. Or Clayface. Or Ra's. Or Court of Owls. Terrific things can be done with them in the movies. Or Bat-Family - James Gunn is the first director in almost thirty years who actually believes in these characters potential, because, why not? Gotham is an incredible setting with a huge potential, and nothing is done with that.
    Instead Joker and Riddler are just serial killers (and in his own movie Joker is just another take on Taxi Driver), Penguin is just a mob straight from Scorsese movies, and lots of characters can't be even used properly.
    The DCAU, The Batman (Kids WB), Batman: The Brave & The Bold, Beware The Batman.

Batman's media presence is vast, you're bound to find plenty that suits your taste.
    I've watched all of it, I don't care. I want something new.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 03-25-2024 at 11:34 AM.