Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Why is Batman the only character who has to stray from the tone he's traditionally had the most success in?
    Funny, I thought the animated series and the Adam West show were very fantastical and they're still popular and get new material based on them to this day.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I've always wondered why Batman is the one character who people want in more than one tone. Superman fans hated the Snyder movies for trying to make him gritty. Spider-Man and Wonder Woman fans don't seem to be clamoring for darker movies with them. MCU fans aren't clamoring for darker movies. Why is Batman the only character who has to stray from the tone he's traditionally had the most success in? Do those of you who want more fantastical Batman movies also want traditionally lighter fantastical characters in grounded and gritty movies? If not why is it a one way street? You can't complain Batman having nothing but grounded movies is old but then get mad when Superman is given a different tone.
    The thing is...you can have a Darker Batman in a fantastical movie. As we've seen...he doesnt really change. He isnt some peppy guy in any of the films. Superman in Snyder films seems more depressed than he is happy and energetic.

People want the Bat family in live action because its the biggest medium we get for the character(s). We cant act as if we dont get solo Batman adventures in the various animated series we've gotten. We get to see him solo, with the fam, with the team. I dont see why it should be any different for live action film.

Out of the modern Bat-films - the Batfam has appeared in 2. Out of 9 Bat films. Why does every Bat film have to be a solo film that doesnt introduce other aspects of the character?

I've always wondered why Batman is the one character who people want in more than one tone. Superman fans hated the Snyder movies for trying to make him gritty. Spider-Man and Wonder Woman fans don't seem to be clamoring for darker movies with them. MCU fans aren't clamoring for darker movies. Why is Batman the only character who has to stray from the tone he's traditionally had the most success in? Do those of you who want more fantastical Batman movies also want traditionally lighter fantastical characters in grounded and gritty movies? If not why is it a one way street? You can't complain Batman having nothing but grounded movies is old but then get mad when Superman is given a different tone.
    I actually have a soft spot for gritty Superman. BUT the caveat is that Superman needs to not be the SOURCE of the story being dark and gritty.

Like the story with Manchester Black and his "Elite"... if Supes had ACTUALLY killed them... that'd have been too far, but... as-is... it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The thing is...you can have a Darker Batman in a fantastical movie. As we've seen...he doesnt really change. He isnt some peppy guy in any of the films. Superman in Snyder films seems more depressed than he is happy and energetic.

People want the Bat family in live action because its the biggest medium we get for the character(s). We cant act as if we dont get solo Batman adventures in the various animated series we've gotten. We get to see him solo, with the fam, with the team. I dont see why it should be any different for live action film.

Out of the modern Bat-films - the Batfam has appeared in 2. Out of 9 Bat films. Why does every Bat film have to be a solo film that doesnt introduce other aspects of the character?
    Yes but I've seen people complain about the tone of the recent Batman movies not even just the lack of Batfamily and fantastical elements. I think even if he wax fighting Clayface, Man-Bat and other super-powered villains if it had the same tone as The Dark Knight people would say they're sick of dark serious Batman movies.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I actually have a soft spot for gritty Superman. BUT the caveat is that Superman needs to not be the SOURCE of the story being dark and gritty.
    And he wasn't.

Like the story with Manchester Black and his "Elite"... if Supes had ACTUALLY killed them... that'd have been too far, but... as-is... it was fine.
    There is a huge difference between killing someone just to prove a point like Superman threatened to do and killing Zod as a last resort to stop his rampage.

And killing Zod is not the only thing Superman does in that film.

Superman is depressed when given a reason to be and happy when given a reason to be. His mood, like anyone else, depends on the situation.

The demands for the Batfamily to be in the movies sounds less like wanting to feature other aspects of the Batman franchise and more like fans wanting their love of the Batfamily to be validated by including them in a medium that is viewed as superior to animation and comics.

Edited post.

Some fans really will not be happy until Batman is pandering to them specifically
    You get all this prestige content with a wide variety of tones but they whine and complain about wanting a live action movie that caters to a very specific audience. Spider-man, Superman, WW, etc
    All those fanbases generally know what they want from their fave in a movie but for some reason Batman is the one character who needs to be boxed into every facet of comic lore even when it doesn't benefit the story or even future plans with said character.

Usually these types of fans have ulterior motives hopes for their favorite side character to show up or be revitalized but ultimately the grim and realistic take on Batman is the money maker. I'm not sure why this even needs to be tested anymore
    You don't need to experiment anymore the character was a guaranteed formula for what works in cinema Nolan trilogy, Reeves films, etc vs what doesn't work aka Justice League and the Schumaker movies

Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And he wasn't.

There is a huge difference between killing someone just to prove a point like Superman threatened to do and killing Zod as a last resort to stop his rampage.

And killing Zod is not the only thing Superman does in that film.
    Enh, I wasn't really talking about Man of Steel, but I file it into the same category as the Elite.

It's the logic behind WHY that matters. Superman kills Zod not because he wants to but because Zod literally does everything he can to force him to. Which is dumb, since it somehow takes a back seat to Zod beating Superman, but it's not really something I saw as wrong for Superman to do.

Why? because Superman is making the best of a bad situation. He's not CREATING a bad situation.

Some fans really will not be happy until Batman is pandering to them specifically
    "People want to see things they like," isn't the put down you probabaly think it is.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Superman is depressed when given a reason to be and happy when given a reason to be. His mood, like anyone else, depends on the situation.

The demands for the Batfamily to be in the movies sounds less like wanting to feature other aspects of the Batman franchise and more like fans wanting their love of the Batfamily to be validated by including them in a medium that is viewed as superior to animation and comics.
    Superman is meant to instill hope. Not star in a moody looking movie.

Like I said - we get plenty of solo Batman in animation. There is nothing different from anything else. Fans want to see all the varied facets of Batman. Not just the same Batman across 8 films. Nothing wrong with being well rounded.

Want a solo Batman film w/no Batfam? Watch Batman. Batman Returns. Batman Begins. The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Returns. The Batman. Hell even Batman v Superman.

Want solo Batman in animation? You have 56 episodes out of the 85 Batman The Animated series. 26 episodes of The Batman. 26 episodes of Beware the Batman.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-08-2024 at 06:08 PM.

Superman is meant to instill hope. Not star in a moody looking movie.

Like I said - we get plenty of solo Batman in animation. There is nothing different from anything else. Fans want to see all the varied facets of Batman. Not just the same Batman across 8 films. Nothing wrong with being well rounded.

Want a solo Batman film w/no Batfam? Watch Batman. Batman Returns. Batman Begins. The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Returns. The Batman. Hell even Batman v Superman.

Want solo Batman in animation? You have 56 episodes out of the 85 Batman The Animated series. 26 episodes of The Batman. 26 episodes of Beware the Batman.
    Well, in Beware he partnered up with Katana pretty early.

Superman is meant to instill hope.
    And he did.

https://medium.com/@AmandaKP/how-zac...e-45ecfe806373

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...ople_overcome/

Leaving aside that you ignored The New Adventures of Batman and Robin, The Batman has Batgirl and Robin, Beware The Batman features The Outsiders, Batman The Brave And The Bold is about him teaming up with virtually every superhero in the DCU and there are no less than five animated movies featuring the Batfamily extensively. This isn't even getting into video games like the Arkham series.

There is far less solo Batman content in recent decades.

And he did.

https://medium.com/@AmandaKP/how-zac...e-45ecfe806373

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...ople_overcome/

Leaving aside that you ignored The New Adventures of Batman and Robin, The Batman has Batgirl and Robin, Beware The Batman features The Outsiders, Batman The Brave And The Bold is about him teaming up with virtually every superhero in the DCU and there are no less than five animated movies featuring the Batfamily extensively. This isn't even getting into video games like the Arkham series.

There is far less solo Batman content in recent decades.
    Primal Slayer referenced the first 26 episodes of The Batman before Batgirl and Robin showed up.

But I don't see why Batman animation means we can't have more fantastical live-action Batman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Usually these types of fans have ulterior motives hopes for their favorite side character to show up or be revitalized but ultimately the grim and realistic take on Batman is the money maker. I'm not sure why this even needs to be tested anymore. You don't need to experiment anymore the character was a guaranteed formula for what works in cinema Nolan trilogy, Reeves films, etc vs what doesn't work aka Justice League and the Schumaker movies
    You do see the irony that, in Pop Culture, 60's Batman is still a go-to reference for everyone over 40. By your logic, Tim Burton's Batman and BTAS should never have happened.

Not picking a dog in this fight, but your argument is purely "just do the thing I like because nothing else works" despite, just taking your examples, Reeves starring in 4 films, 2 of which killed the franchise, and Schumaker 's Batman Forever was incredibly successful.
    Last edited by exile001; 04-09-2024 at 04:43 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!