Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Oh good, the idea that all mutants are basically equally responsible and in agreement w/Magneto's intentionally inflammatory rhetoric is ratified by the new editor of the line, just what I was hoping for. All the mutants of the world DID act that way, yup, it definitely wasn't just some mutants under a handful of specific writers' pens who said stuff like that in the interest of generating controversy.....nope, Ayala, Ewing, LaValle, Foxe and others' casts were definitely all mutant supremacists, just like the bad faith takes all era claimed.

Sigh.
    I mean, the mutants who did act that way...were mostly the leaders of Krakoas government.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Just for the record, after Jamie's crimes he was tortured into psychosis as punishment (with his brother's blessing) and that part of him was lost forever. He hasn't been a hero by any means but he's tried to find a balance with his mental health struggles.
    I don't know if that exactly absolves him of his actions.

He still potentially ruined many of those people's lives and it's not like he's tried to turn over a new leaf to really atone like Emma, Rogue or even Magneto have tried to do (to varying levels of success).

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I don't know if that exactly absolves him of his actions.

He still potentially ruined many of those people's lives and it's not like he's tried to turn over a new leaf to really absolve himself of those actions like Emma, Rogue or even Magneto have tried to do (to varying levels of success).
    Yes, because he continues to struggle with mental health issues even today. He's a reality warper who dances on the line of insanity who walks around with a crown on. The character was unusable until Claremont came up with the idea to turn his imprisonment into something viable in Excalibur.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Yes, because he continues to struggle with mental health issues even today. He's a reality warper who dances on the line of insanity who walks around with a crown on. The character was unusable until Claremont came up with the idea to turn his imprisonment into something viable in Excalibur.
    Sure, but then is that a character you want in any position of power on Krakoa or Otherworld? He should be getting treatment, not asking him to reality-bend for Mars and letting him run wild in Otherworld...

Honestly the X-Men act like terrible enablers half the time. I know it's just comics, but writers please I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    Disgusted with what I just read, back to the mutant mediocrity before Krakoa... humans hate mutants even more because they created an island to prevent these same humans from killing them and brevoort which brings us the "new gods" trope while only magneto said it no other mutants felt superior to humans, have they read the krakoa era? he speaks like the fanboy of the 90s who hates krakoa and who prefers to see the mutants return to their one more day mutants hatred and fear, their cycle of genocide and xavier's stupid dream which has no meaning for years later all the genocide perpetrated by humanity even less after krakoa.

Uncanny and Exceptional x-men scare me a lot, if Exceptional exceeds ten issues before being canceled that will already be good.
    And I don't at all want to see uncanny continue to save humans who destroyed their nations to show that they are good mutie...

Krakoa was not perfect but we still ate in a great restaurant throughout its years, in July Brevoort is preparing to make us eat McDonald's to reheat in the microwave.

Not surprising this regression of mutants from someone who agreed to set up one more day of spider-man and who thinks that spidey must remain a single loser otherwise he is more relatable and who has given places currently in spidey's worst run.
    So do you just not want the X-Men to be heroes at all and just sit around tables all day? The idea of a book where the X-Men fight villains and save people from bad guys should not be controversial. And it's only X-Men fans who behave this way, Spider-Man fans arent going "What, Spideys helping out innocent civilians AGAIN?"

Sure, but then is that a character you want in any position of power on Krakoa or Otherworld? He should be getting treatment, not asking him to reality-bend for Mars and letting him run wild in Otherworld...

Honestly the X-Men act like terrible enablers half the time. I know it's just comics, but writers please I can only suspend my disbelief so far.
    Well to be fair he did get some treatment by his siblings when they went into his mind when he was in a coma on Muir Island. Since his resurrection he's behaved himself and though putting him in charge of Avalon was highly questionable, he ended up being responsible and helped his family in the war. But that leads to a big questioner - are some people not eligible for redemption? Exodus hasn't done anything to betray Krakoa, Sinister of course has, Apocalypse has mostly played it straight. So I don't really know but I know people irl who were given second chances after imprisonment and succeeded. Others unfortunately did not.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    Yeah, the main issue with Krakoa is how contrived and forced everything is, Hickman deliberately ignores years of characterization and interpersonal history to make his story work but that's not how it should be, keeping the characters consistent and in character should be more important than worldbuilding, and some parts of Krakoa seem like they were written by Tumblr instead of an actual writer because in what world would Scott accept to share Jean with Logan? it feels like I'm not reading the same characters but OCs with their names and looks.
    Believe me. If this era had been "written by Tumblr", we wouldn't be here debating the OOCness and retcons and the interpersonal history ignored in Krakoa.
    You all have a very old, an insufferable, prejudice against fanauthors ("not actual writer").

Actual writer: *checks Marvel Fandom just to get a hang of the character - perhaps*
    "Tumblr": *obsesses over making sure they don't invalidate a 80s obscure quotation from TitleCancelledAfterTwoIssues where minor character commented an even more obscure episode involving the father of Main Character.
    I mean, you don't even know what Tumblr is, if you don't know on Tumblr we literally do "metas" and commentaries where we try to fill the gaps of canon or try to give some sense to conflicting canons. *roll eyes*
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    This part. If Brevoort said this right after HOX/POX I would maaaaaybe buy it, but we’ve just spent the past year of stories with mutants getting hunted, deported, imprisoned, and experimented on. They really don’t need to prove anything to humanity, especially not over one thing Magneto said years ago.

I’m gonna try out these new books but this status quo excites me less and less as we get closer. The idea that mutants need to go on an apology tour or put in extra effort to reintegrate is WILD, considering what they just went through.
    The mutants did also kind of take over the earth and genocide all of humanity in the Sinister timeline, which was one hundred percent avoidable by not trusting Marvels Starscream in a major position of government.

I'm sorry but this idea that "mutants didn't consider themselves God's above humanity" doesn't hold water. Let's look at just the quiet Council membership alone:

Pro:
    Xavier (in unlimited he literally said Krakoa was so mutants could become Gods)
    Magneto
    Apocalypse
    Frost
    Sinister
    Storm
    Selene
    Sebastian Shaw
    Exodus
    Mystique
    Destiny

Anti:
    Kate
    Jean
    Kurt
    Hope
    Colossus (and even then he's literally a spy)

So...11/16. A huge majority.

Well to be fair he did get some treatment by his siblings when they went into his mind when he was in a coma on Muir Island. Since his resurrection he's behaved himself and though putting him in charge of Avalon was highly questionable, he ended up being responsible and helped his family in the war. But that leads to a big questioner - are some people not eligible for redemption? Exodus hasn't done anything to betray Krakoa, Sinister of course has, Apocalypse has mostly played it straight. So I don't really know but I know people irl who were given second chances after imprisonment and succeeded. Others unfortunately did not.
    Has he behaved? I recall him planning to war in Otherworld and killing an innocent person iirc while riding a unicorn. Jaime on Krakoa is basically the same he usually is, extremely dangerous to other people on a whim.

As for who deserves redemption, I think it's a combination of what they've done, showing remorse for what they've done, and truly making an attempt to change themselves to atone. Rogue's done all three, while Magneto and Emma is a bit iffy on the remorse sometimes. On the otherhand, Mr Sinister should have never been allowed within 100 miles of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I'm sorry but this idea that "mutants didn't consider themselves God's above humanity" doesn't hold water. Let's look at just the quiet Council membership alone:

Pro:
    Xavier (in unlimited he literally said Krakoa was so mutants could become Gods)
    Magneto
    Apocalypse
    Frost
    Sinister
    Storm
    Selene
    Sebastian Shaw
    Exodus
    Mystique
    Destiny

Anti:
    Kate
    Jean
    Kurt
    Hope
    Colossus (and even then he's literally a spy)

So...11/16. A huge majority.
    I mean, I wouldn't put Storm on the pro side. Emma could be smug, but she made sure to help humans and was empathetic to them; she even gave some people free healing drugs because they were desperate, even though it didn't benefit her. So that's more like 9/16.

Then you have people who are more neutral on the matter than anything. Shaw is also primarily motivated by self-interest, so he isn't really "mutants are gods" so much as "I want to be a god." He even said he wasn't "really" a mutant and willingly depowered himself. Sinister just saw mutants as stepping stones for his ascension. Selene was specifically a bad choice that Mother Righteous had to finagle into the Council through her manipulations. So that's 6/16.
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Storms literally been identified as a goddess multiple times for several decades

I don't see why the villains magically don't count somehow

On the otherhand, Mr Sinister should have never been allowed within 100 miles of the island.
    It's not like they welcomed him with open arms. The only reason he was there was for the Resurrection Protocols. They fully intended on getting rid of him once they had compiled their own separate DNA archive.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Storms literally been identified as a goddess multiple times for several decades

I don't see why the villains magically don't count somehow
    Storm herself has been identified as a goddess. That doesn't mean she's a mutant supremacist.

There's nothing "magical" about what I said. I'd count Apocalypse on the pro side, and he's a villain. The villains I listed don't count because they're not mutant supremacists. Except maybe Selene, but she was specifically planted there by an enemy of Krakoa, and it required much of the Council to be removed from the vote.
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    It's not like they welcomed him with open arms. The only reason he was there was for the Resurrection Protocols. They fully intended on getting rid of him once they had compiled their own separate DNA archive.
    They literally gave him a position of power, how is that not "with open arms"? And if they really just wanted his information, there is bound to be other ways to get it without giving him everything he wants.