Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Supporting characters of the Wonderverse general appreciation 2024

They're not Amazons. They're not Gods. They're the magical, the normal, the mostly forgotten/underutilized supporting characters of the Wonder world.

From that illustration, my favorites are Mindy Mayer & Ferdinand.
    Least 'favorite': Siegfried
    Most wasted potential, imo: Trevor Barnes

I'd love if DC created a series akin to those old Superman Family books, so they could explore all these Wonder Woman side characters.

ETA: I should add Julia Kapatelis as one of my three favorite WW supporting characters alongside Mindy and Ferdinand.

Also, from characters not on that list, I love and would love to see more of Ed Indelicato, Bia, and Atlantiades
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 03-26-2024 at 12:15 AM.

Of those pictured my favorites are Myndi, Siggy, Trevor, Nemesis and Ferdinand. Two great ones that are gone but not forgotten...

Camille Sly: Diana's landlady in Boston, she was formally a swashbuckling silent movie star and as a classic film fan that resonated with me, plus she was so cute.

Hoppy, Diana's boss at Taco Whiz, I once gave an Oscar worthy performance doing this exact same thing to get out of a write-up at my job and it totally worked! Thanks William Messner-Loebs!

Favorites: Ferdinand, Kalatellis, Mayer, the gorillas

Least favorites: Golden Age Etta Candy, the Sandsmarks, Nemesis

Wasted potential: Achilles

Incredible Member

I once gave an Oscar worthy performance doing this exact same thing to get out of a write-up at my job and it totally worked! Thanks William Messner-Loebs!

...you tried to quit out of honor? LOL Please tell the story!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I once gave an Oscar worthy performance doing this exact same thing to get out of a write-up at my job and it totally worked! Thanks William Messner-Loebs!

...you tried to quit out of honor? LOL Please tell the story!
    My department supervisor was on a power trip and tried to find something to write us all up for. When my turn came, he said he talked to me weeks ago about completing my assignments in a timely manner. I said "Weeks ago? You're calling me into the office for something that happened weeks ago? Have I rectified the problem since then?" he said yes, then I said "So why are we here?". His boss who was also in the room agreed with me. I replied quietly but with emotion "Everyday I ask myself if I'm doing my best, if you're unhappy with my performance I'm sorry, I don't want to be a disappointment. If I'm trying this hard and still getting written up, this must not be the job for me." They both said they were happy with my work and that was the end of it. I knew they couldn't afford to lose me and that I was good employee. Now I have the department supervisor position and after a year and a half I still haven't written anyone up yet. There are other ways to handle a problem or motivate people.

Is the top right one Ferdinand? I loved him

It really doesn't make sense that so many of these characters go unused. Especially Ferdinand, who doesn't like Ferdinand?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It really doesn't make sense that so many of these characters go unused. Especially Ferdinand, who doesn't like Ferdinand?
    We have to continue the trend of ensuring that people think that WW doesn't have anyone or anything outside of the Amazons/Gods/Steve&Etta

Hate to death...whiny George Perez cast, the Dome Creatures, the Amazons, all of Phil Jimenez's supporting cast, Trevor Barnes, Bobby Barnes, Nessie (ALL versions). There's a difference between recurring characters (Amazons, etc) and regular characters (Etta, dammit...etc). Too many writers don't seem to know the difference, and misuse recurring as regular.

I love Etta Beth Candy, Col. Steve, Hippolyta, Siegfried, Zola and Chiazzarello cast, I Ching, John Byrne's supporting cast and some others. Wonder Woman should be surrounded by strong women and fiercely independent men!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-29-2024 at 02:36 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It keeps making me shriver how not a single fucking author is still willing to keep using Ferdinand as a secondary, even for cameos. Why do writers hate fun?

I'd say tho, Im sniffing some copium for him to cameo on Tom King's run, it's the kind of shilly bullshit he loves to write and give traumatising backstories

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    It keeps making me shriver how not a single fucking author is still willing to keep using Ferdinand as a secondary, even for cameos. Why do writers hate fun?
    Same reason why the Kangas were not in comics for thirty years and long since lost their space faring abilities.
    Or why the Astral Plane stopped being a big part of the mythos.
    Or why most supporting characters don't get used by following writers such as the Gremlins.

Their not supporting characters, but I miss the Sky Riders of Nebulosa and that whole origin for the Sky Kanga.
    And the Saddle Rabbits.
    The Boxing Kittens
    The Rhinotaur
    The Sea Skipping Steeds
    The Giant Eagles
    The Megaladons

The Amazons are supposed to have a wild menagerie and most of it faded away or gets introduced a few times and shelfed.

Did a tier chart of WW supporting characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Hate to death...whiny George Perez cast, the Dome Creatures, the Amazons, all of Phil Jimenez's supporting cast, Trevor Barnes, Bobby Barnes, Nessie (ALL versions). There's a difference between recurring characters (Amazons, etc) and regular characters (Etta, dammit...etc). Too many writers don't seem to know the difference, and misuse recurring as regular.

I love Etta Beth Candy, Col. Steve, Hippolyta, Siegfried, Zola and Chiazzarello cast, I Ching, John Byrne's supporting cast and some others. Wonder Woman should be surrounded by strong women and fiercely independent men!
    With the sole exception of Dr. Julia, Col. Steve and Etta Candy (who should have been a college-age teen), George Perez's supporting cast was hot garbage and narratively unsustainable. They're the comic. It should've been them going on adventures, occasionally joined by the Amazons a supernatural male, Hermes [yawn] or some sorcerer, like Sargon.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-29-2024 at 11:59 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!