Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Gambit's nightmare being that grotesque Savage Land Rogue call back that reminds me SO much of Ron's vision of Harry/Hermione caused by the Horcrux in HP.
    I thought that too, but my first reaction was Guinevere and Lancelot in Excalibur. Especially with the green tones.

Amazing Member

Kinda wish they spread out the story over a 2 or 3 episode arc to let the revelations and moments breathe. Hope the rest of the episodes aren't so rushed

1) It felt odd that Sunspot was just back at the mansion hanging out no? It seemed like it was the same moment from the end of the last episode and he wasn't there.

2) I was surprised by the Magik cameo since she didn't really appear in the original run. Makes it seem a bit more jarring.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    2) I was surprised by the Magik cameo since she didn't really appear in the original run. Makes it seem a bit more jarring.
    She appeared in the episode "Red Dawn".

1) It felt odd that Sunspot was just back at the mansion hanging out no? It seemed like it was the same moment from the end of the last episode and he wasn't there.

Illyana appeared in the Colossus episode. True it wasnt as Magik but I feel she was only there as an Easter Egg since this loosely adapted Inferno

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    She appeared in the episode "Red Dawn".
    Illyana did. Technically Magik did not

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Same on both. Didn't Roberto just leave at the end of episode 1? Why is he back?

And yeah while I loved Yana appearing, she's never been shown as Magik yet so it made no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    They covered a lot in 30 minutes. Almost too much as things are starting to feel very fast paced, but it still works I think. I'm still trying to decide. The animation is INSANE in parts. I laughed out loud when Jean put her hair in a ponytail. Gotta distinguish between the two somehow. And minor nitpick, but it's very odd how they keep making Jean's eyes blue.
    TAS Jean almost always had blue eyes. There were a few episodes from DPS where they actually gave her green eyes, but mostly they are blue. They just continued what was already established in the OG series.

As for the pacing, you know, this episode condensed more than 40 or 50 issues worth of story into less than 30 minutes, heavily rewriting and editing in between, which I think does diminish most of the content, but were we really going to do another 9 episode Phoenix Saga deal? (Part of me would love a huge Inferno adaptation...)

This series has so many characters and so many moving parts, perhaps it is more fair to truncate all that drama, but perhaps a little of the baby did get thrown out with the bathwater on this one. That said, some of the changes made gave Scott, Jean, and Maddie a much better, let's say, plausible deniability factor, so they didn't get drug through the mud to the extent that their comics versions did. It's a mixed bag for me. I would wonder more how a general audience member would feel about this episode. Perhaps it works better for them. If I put my previous knowledge of this canon aside as best I can, I still like this episode a lot.

That said, I hated seeing the mohawk with the TAS white uniform(especially in the stills and teasers leading up to release, in the actual episodes 1/2 it worked fine) on Storm, but at the end of this episode she's in her black leathers and it's all forgiven. This version might bode better for Forge too, since he seemingly wasn't as directly responsible for her depowering to being with, so his and Ororo's romantic potential won't be sullied from jump. I guess we'll start to see how that works next episode.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Fantastic Member

Guys, just now long is this episode? And were there any alterations in the title sequence?

==jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Illyana did. Technically Magik did not
    Exactly. Doesn't translate as well. Just a nitpick.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Same on both. Didn't Roberto just leave at the end of episode 1? Why is he back?

And yeah while I loved Yana appearing, she's never been shown as Magik yet so it made no sense to me.
    That is one thing I feel would benefit if it wasn’t so rushed. Take the time to explain that Roberto came to visit and hang with Jubilee, instead of him just being there. There were several moments where it felt like either one of them should have said something/talked to the rest of the group, but due to time constraints… they were just silent.
    I loved the episode- but that would be my nitpick.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    That is one thing I feel would benefit if it wasn’t so rushed. Take the time to explain that Roberto came to visit and hang with Jubilee, instead of him just being there. There were several moments where it felt like either one of them should have said something/talked to the rest of the group, but due to time constraints… they were just silent.
    I loved the episode- but that would be my nitpick.
    Those are my nitpick, and my annoyance is the continued appropriation of Rachel's history given to Bishop in this series.

Just gonna say it. If they can do the Maddie arc in one episode then they can do Betsy and Kwannon

ok ok ill stop lol

I thought Roberto leaving so quickly after episode 1 was strange. And now he's back already watching a movie with Jubilee in this episode, which seemingly picks up immediately after the closing of episode 2? It was jarring to me too, but I expect Roberto will get more focus next episode, so I won't judge too harshly[yet].

As for Magik, yeah, Illyana was definitely in the Red Dawn episode from the OG series, where she was a young kid, but not like a 7 year old, more like 12-14(Jubilee's age or so), so to see her here in Morph's transformations with her New Mutants costume and Darkchild persona, is a bit of a stretch. I mean, Inferno was very important for her too, so it doesn't seem fair to conjure her up like this for just a cameo. It's a fun easter egg for OG fans, but its gotta be hella confusing for casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Guys, just now long is this episode? And were there any alterations in the title sequence?

==jthree
    Just under 30 minutes, kinda fast for all this content. They added scenes with Scott/Ororo/Logan fighting Magneto at the missile base from season 1, Lilandra nuking the Phoenix on the moon as Xavier looks on terrified, and Scott's reaction up close, Roberto running into a fence like Jubilee did in the OG version, and Rogue kissing Gambit(through her gloved hand) on the basketball court. Also, they took away Storm's title card sequence completely(she has currently left the team, even if she continues to be on the show).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    TAS Jean almost always had blue eyes. There were a few episodes from DPS where they actually gave her green eyes, but mostly they are blue. They just continued what was already established in the OG series.

That said, I hated seeing the mohawk with the TAS white uniform(especially in the stills and teasers leading up to release, in the actual episodes 1/2 it worked fine) on Storm, but at the end of this episode she's in her black leathers and it's all forgiven. This version might bode better for Forge too, since he seemingly wasn't as directly responsible for her depowering to being with, so his and Ororo's romantic potential won't be sullied from jump. I guess we'll start to see how that works next episode.
    It’s so strange how they stick heavily with some things that were established and changed others. I saw that they kept Jean’s powers blue because that’s how they were in the original series. But Gambits powers were yellow/orange in the original series and they had no problem making them purple and comic accurate for ‘97.

I am a vehement hater of the ‘hawk. Seeing her in the punk outfit kinda helped but it also made me mad that the hair didn’t have a story and just came out of nowhere, before her crisis. They could have had a scene of her cutting her hair tearfully after the depowering. Wasted potential. We have time for naked shower illusion Logan but none for a big change for a beloved character lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I thought Roberto leaving so quickly after episode 1 was strange. And now he's back already watching a movie with Jubilee in this episode, which seemingly picks up immediately after the closing of episode 2? It was jarring to me too, but I expect Roberto will get more focus next episode, so I won't judge too harshly[yet].

As for Magik, yeah, Illyana was definitely in the Red Dawn episode from the OG series, where she was a young kid, but not like a 7 year old, more like 12-14(Jubilee's age or so), so to see her here in Morph's transformations with her New Mutants costume and Darkchild persona, is a bit of a stretch. I mean, Inferno was very important for her too, so it doesn't seem fair to conjure her up like this for just a cameo. It's a fun easter egg for OG fans, but its gotta be hella confusing for casuals.
    Im pretty sure casuals either dont remember Illyana making an apeparance and even less likely that its the same character. We as comic fans are the nitpicky ones