Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    The series is 3/3. Spoiler thoughts:

spoilers:
    My favourite thing was the talk between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn while dressed as their alter egos in Spider-Man and the Green Goblin respectively and how it'll go into the Ultimate Spider-Man #4 preview.
    end of spoilers
    I'm loving the book so far too. I'm really hesitant about the Harry having the patent in the suit thing though. Or maybe it'll be like MCU and he'll end up in spandex by issue 8 or something.

Love the art. Love the take on an older Peter. Ben doesn't HAVE to be dead and JJ doesn't HAVE to be ridiculous. I kind of hope they dont fridge anyone and just tell a good alternate Spidey story without some of the tropes - screw Miguel man... Heh

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    Peter is just starting…let the guy learn and grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Peter is an absolute amateur and it works so freaking well. Probably because he's not acting like a loser who should have way more sense like his 616 counterpart. Instead he's realistically acting like someone who's only been doing this for three months should act. And still manages to feel more like Spider-Man than ASM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This book is really good. I think sometimes writers lean in too heavily on Peter screwing up, but this feels earned since Peter is still new at it and is also older than when other Peters typically gets their powers. He's got a whole different perspective on life.

I'm still utterly fascinated by this book.
    I guess there's a different narrative conceit comparing a younger Spider-Man doing it all on his own versus one getting into it late in the game with so much else going on in the world around him.

Though I also feel like Ultimate Pete is in for a few more wake up calls as this series goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I felt that this continues to be consistent in the level of quality i miss in the main book.

I loved the part where Peter and his daughter make the suit and he takes her web swinging like he use to do with MJ in 616.

The fight itself was good IMO but i feel it also confirms he doesn't have Spider-sense.

Harry clearly knows something about Fisk but not about the Maker's council unless he learned something is wrong when he took over the company.

I do hope Peter and Harry don't end up as enemies.

Finally, i really like the cover with MJ sitting on the couch with her family around her. That is what we need back in 616!
    Before the debris falls on him you can see something popping out of his head, I feel like it was Spider-Sense. He just has no idea what to do with it or how to react in time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess there's a different narrative conceit comparing a younger Spider-Man doing it all on his own versus one getting into it late in the game with so much else going on in the world around him.
    Is there a different narrative conceit, though?

Spider-Man arguably always had an "experience is more important than age" undertone to him. Teen Spidey could kick more ass than many older people because of all the crap and challenges he went through, right?

If we flip that, it makes sense that Peter being older doesn't mean he would learn to kick ass any faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Is there a different narrative conceit, though?

Spider-Man arguably always had an "experience is more important than age" undertone to him. Teen Spidey could kick more ass than many older people because of all the crap and challenges he went through, right?

If we flip that, it makes sense that Peter being older doesn't mean he would learn to kick ass any faster.
    Experience is definitely more important than age although comparative to Ultimate Peter I feel like 616 Peter progressed as a hero and crime-fighter faster if only because he had to, though I think starting out at the age and circumstances he did also helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This book is really good. I think sometimes writers lean in too heavily on Peter screwing up, but this feels earned since Peter is still new at it and is also older than when other Peters typically gets their powers. He's got a whole different perspective on life.

I'm still utterly fascinated by this book.
    Pretty much sums up my exact thoughts on this series. I am loving this run and I never would have guessed that Spider-Man book by Hickman would be so enjoyable.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member

Experience is definitely more important than age although comparative to Ultimate Peter I feel like 616 Peter progressed as a hero and crime-fighter faster if only because he had to, though I think starting out at the age and circumstances he did also helped.
    I feel it's about the same?

Peter lost badly to Doc Ock in ASM#3 and was depressed about it until the Human Torch talked him into trying again, and that was in his fourth appearance (if we count AF#15). Before that he only fought Vulture (who was weaker at the time than in later comics) and Chameleon.

Bendis' Peter by this point was still midway through his origin.

I'm sure this Peter will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I feel it's about the same?

Peter lost badly to Doc Ock in ASM#3 and was depressed about it until the Human Torch talked him into trying again, and that was in his fourth appearance (if we count AF#15). Before that he only fought Vulture (who was weaker at the time than in later comics) and Chameleon.

Bendis' Peter by this point was still midway through his origin.

I'm sure this Peter will be fine.
    True, although I don't think losing to Doc Ock that early is slight because it's one of the reasons Ock is one of the Big Three and after that he was still fighting and handling Supervillains fairly frequently.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    There's an issue of Hickman's Avengers where Steve Rogers pulls the I wasn't aiming at you trick on Kang and Immortus.
    Well, if Kang and Immortus can fall for that when it's Steve Rogers, I don't think we can really call it screwing up.
    He also does it with Thor throwing his hammer away but it obviously coming back

It's a nice repeat gag

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReadMoreComics! View Post
    I'm loving the book so far too. I'm really hesitant about the Harry having the patent in the suit thing though. Or maybe it'll be like MCU and he'll end up in spandex by issue 8 or something.

Love the art. Love the take on an older Peter. Ben doesn't HAVE to be dead and JJ doesn't HAVE to be ridiculous. I kind of hope they dont fridge anyone and just tell a good alternate Spidey story without some of the tropes - screw Miguel man... Heh
    I understand your hesitation. At this point, Peter has a lot more to lose than Harry, and Harry pulling that stunt with hacking the Spider-Suit just forces Peter into a position where he has to play ball with whatever Harry wants from him or end up in a bigger world of hurt. It's just lucky for Peter that Harry seems to want an alliance, if not necessarily a friendship, though in light of that shady move . . . his idea of an alliance or friendship might not be the same as most people's, which could be a serious problem down the line. "The enemy of my enemy" isn't always my friend, after all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

I would be extremely surprised if the long term status quo is that Harry can control Peter's suit. I expect Peter to figure out a way to deal with that in short order.

If issue 4 follows the timeline of the others, I guess we'll pick up with Peter after his drink with Harry and perhaps into whatever their friendship/partnership/alliance looks like?

Astonishing Member

They're clearly gonna be allies and friends, but then, I guess, Harry will be becoming more and more aggressive and violent, eventually becoming the very same thing he's fighting against and falling into darkness and madness.
    Potentially it's a really interesting take on Spider-Man/Green Goblin dynamics.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Another good issue, I also agree of the naivete and inexperience of this Peter, he was told he was meant for something greater, an older Peter definitely have different stories to tell.

Fantastic Member

I don’t mind Spidey needing help to beat Bullseye. He’s been in like 3 fights total. Bullseye is very formidable in pretty much ever verse that he’s in. He was pretty much walking the dog on Harry, so it’s not like Pete needed help to take out a chump character. Plus, we have no indication that Pete would have actually lost on his own. He probably would have had a harder time, but he walked off having a crane thing dropped on him well enough to one shot Bullseye. He could possibly have still pulled the win solo

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Getting a Kamen Rider Faiz vibe from Harry and Peter. Great issue, just wish the fight was longer.

Astonishing Member

True, although I don't think losing to Doc Ock that early is slight because it's one of the reasons Ock is one of the Big Three and after that he was still fighting and handling Supervillains fairly frequently.
    Bullseye is pretty powerful, though.