Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Default Does what Percy did to Beast remind anyone of Daenerys at the end of GoT?

I’m probably preaching to the choir but this part of Beast’s storyline in X-Force is what’s annoyed me the most and I wanted to vent.

In Game of Thrones, when Daenerys burned King’s Landing the show tried to retroactively argue that she was bad all along to make it in character, and that the fans just didn’t see it. “When she murdered the slavers of Astapor, I’m sure no one but the slavers complained. After all, they were evil men. When she crucified hundreds of Meereenese nobles, who could argue? They were evil men. The Dothraki khals she burnt alive? They would have done worse to her. Everywhere she goes, evil men die and we cheer her for it. And she grows more powerful, and more sure that she is Good and Right.”

It feels like Percy did the same thing to Beast to justify his villainous characterization. In an interview he said “He hasn’t become this way out of nowhere. He’s made many decisions over the years that were troublesome. Look at the Legacy Virus, Threnody, and Mutant Growth Hormone. Look at his involvement with the Inhumans and Illuminati.”

Like the fact that he had to go all the way back to an obscure character like Threnody? Either he was a fan from the 90s who never got over that storyline, or he was just googling “bad things Beast’s done.” It just feels like a completely random thing to keep bringing up, both in interviews and the comics.

It would be like a writer wanting to make Reed Richards a villain and they used stuff like him turning the Skrulls into cows or slapping Sue when she was possessed. It’s not difficult to cherry-pick through any character’s history and find stuff that makes them look bad.

I'm probably misremembering, but didn't Beast side with the Inhumans so he could work on ancure for M-Pox, so that mutants can live and Inhumans won't be locked outnof Terrigenesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

He did. Beast was going downhill before Percy came along. He just leaned into it fully IMO. But, whatever. He’s been reset and is back to the old Beast. Turn the page and onto the next chapter.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

No. Dani had a heel switch in the final hour. Beast's arc has lasted a few years so its had more development and time to actually be dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm probably misremembering, but didn't Beast side with the Inhumans so he could work on ancure for M-Pox, so that mutants can live and Inhumans won't be locked outnof Terrigenesis?
    Yup. He was so against an Inhuman/ Mutant war that he suggested that mutants leave the planet and find some place without a toxic fart. Mind you Hank also admits to all his faults and missteps in Uncanny Avengers vol. 3 when he’s reunited with Wonder Man. Fast forward to Percy and the person who put mutantkind’s need below having a violent conflict is now super comfortable committing war crimes on a regular basis.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yup. He was so against an Inhuman/ Mutant war that he suggested that mutants leave the planet and find some place without a toxic fart. Mind you Hank also admits to all his faults and missteps in Uncanny Avengers vol. 3 when he’s reunited with Wonder Man. Fast forward to Percy and the person who put mutantkind’s need below having a violent conflict is now super comfortable committing war crimes on a regular basis.
    Yup, it's this example extrapolated that's the real problem with Percy's run.

You can have a "slow slide into darkness" but what happened with Hank wasn't some long-term plan to do that and anyone saying otherwise is just straight up wrong. People say they want "complicated" and nuanced characters all the time but the minute the character isn't likable even though they are that complicated and flawed, they abandon the character wholesale. I'm speaking of pre-Krakoa Hank that didn't always make the best decisions but always had a good intent at heart.

What Percy did was Google some fan lists and bad faith, agenda filled podcasts summarizing "bad" things Hank did then wrote a completely different characterization of Hank to fit his bond villain bs for his run. This is clear from the example above as well as many other books even right before Krakoa. That's the big issue, and I've said this in another thread, is that you can have 616 Hank break bad. But what Percy did was write his own villain OC in the guise of Hank, and the fanbase didn't care about the character assassination because this (pre-Krakoa) "complicated" character went up against their faves "So screw him!".

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Wake View Post
    Yup, it's this example extrapolated that's the real problem with Percy's run.

You can have a "slow slide into darkness" but what happened with Hank wasn't some long-term plan to do that and anyone saying otherwise is just straight up wrong. People say they want "complicated" and nuanced characters all the time but the minute the character isn't likable even though they are that complicated and flawed, they abandon the character wholesale. I'm speaking of pre-Krakoa Hank that didn't always make the best decisions but always had a good intent at heart.

What Percy did was Google some fan lists and bad faith, agenda filled podcasts summarizing "bad" things Hank did then wrote a completely different characterization of Hank to fit his bond villain bs for his run. This is clear from the example above as well as many other books even right before Krakoa. That's the big issue, and I've said this in another thread, is that you can have 616 Hank break bad. But what Percy did was write his own villain OC in the guise of Hank, and the fanbase didn't care about the character assassination because this (pre-Krakoa) "complicated" character went up against their faves "So screw him!".
    I was actually someone who didn’t like Beast before, because I thought he was a dick to Scott, but Percy pushed me to his side.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    It would be like a writer wanting to make Reed Richards a villain and they used stuff like him turning the Skrulls into cows or slapping Sue when she was possessed.
    We don't even need to go that far, we can just look at X-Men story - how much sh*t Scott, Logan and Emma have done during Utopia-Schism-AvX-Revolution-Inhumans war periods? Logan and Emma did some terrible things in their past. The same goes for Xavier. Not to mention Eric. Yeah, Hank did questionable things, he's been written as more morally grey character for a long while. But he's not the only one, it's just specifics of this franchise.
    By the same logic any writer can make any of them a crazy psychopath and say something like ''well, they've always been like this''.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No. Dani had a heel switch in the final hour. Beast's arc has lasted a few years so its had more development and time to actually be dealt with

I know its a stupid theory but I still think Bran had something to do with this. But we will never know.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

I think what happened with Dani was much worse. Beast has been heading down this road for awhile now. Dani got power and was using it for good and then just started burning villagers for the flimsiest of reasons.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    I know its a stupid theory but I still think Bran had something to do with this. But we will never know.
    man that final season did a lot wrong. Jon not even getting a one on one against the Night King like cmon GOT. Or Sansa getting to be queen lots of mistakes
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I was actually someone who didn’t like Beast before, because I thought he was a dick to Scott, but Percy pushed me to his side.
    Well, to be fair, a lot of characters have been a dick to Scott, however i don't think any of them went as bad as Hank did under the helm of Percy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I think what happened with Dani was much worse. Beast has been heading down this road for awhile now. Dani got power and was using it for good and then just started burning villagers for the flimsiest of reasons.
    I am not the biggest GOT fan, but I have to agree. Hank has been a slow-motion bus accident since 2012. Dani had her story change abruptly just because they needed an ending and the very lazy non-committed writer of the original source material was not (and STILL has not) been able to finish his story in time to provide the showrunners with a proper ending to film their finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    man that final season did a lot wrong. Jon not even getting a one on one against the Night King like cmon GOT. Or Sansa getting to be queen lots of mistakes
    Sansa being queen was well earned and one of the few good thing about that ending IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I doubt that very much, Hank made mistakes and trusted the wrong people at times before Krakoa came along but it was never leading to him becoming this monster who made even his AoA counterpart look like a saint in comparison.

Another thing that i felt happened more before Krakoa is that Hank faced more punishments down the line in comparison to Percy's iteration who only near the end faces the consequences of his actions and frankly i felt like it wasn't enough.

Honestly this should go down as one of the top five character assassinations of all times.