Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Focusing mainly on comics would be one way for a new website to stand out. I think the biggest problem is that so many of the websites that say they offer diverse content are just so samey. All of them will cover the same articles from the LA Times or the Hollywood Reporter.

A focus on comics would also still allow for coverage on comic book movies and video games, as well as categories like webtoons and manga. It wouldn't be as niche as the journalism focusing on something narrow (IE- Alter Ego focus on Silver Age comics, Panel X Panel focuses on one series per issue- some of the series were obscure, The Columbus Scribbler is limited to Central Ohio, WomenWriteAboutComics.com is about half the population, etc.)
    If you see it that way, yes. More power to it. I have the feeling CBR is more of a moviesite than a comic book site.

With the tragic death of Ed Piskor, I'm wondering if it's possible to have decent comics sites for the larger community. Who would be trusted to write authoritatively about these kinds of controversies?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

With the tragic death of Ed Piskor, I'm wondering if it's possible to have decent comics sites for the larger community. Who would be trusted to write authoritatively about these kinds of controversies?
    I find the Comicsbeat team quite professional with things like that.

Their Piskor obit is here: https://www.comicsbeat.com/cartoonis...or-dead-at-41/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I find the Comicsbeat team quite professional with things like that.

Their Piskor obit is here: https://www.comicsbeat.com/cartoonis...or-dead-at-41/
    The obit leaves out a lot, including a big part of why this story is discussed (the idea that he was a literal victim of cancel culture driven to suicide by cyber-bullies) or the responses by comics professionals who think Piskor was treated unfairly.

To their credit, when they refer to their previous reporting, they updated a section about a rumor that turned out to be untrue (That Piskor had a sock puppet account on X; that account is still posting.)

I can also understand that this story raises complicated questions. Is it responsible to engage with a suicide note? Does covering an ugly conversation add to the fire?

This was a sensitive incident that occurred three days ago, so I can also appreciate commentators who are cautious rather than those who will raise the temperature for clicks.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

The obit leaves out a lot, including a big part of why this story is discussed (the idea that he was a literal victim of cancel culture driven to suicide by cyber-bullies) or the responses by comics professionals who think Piskor was treated unfairly.

To their credit, when they refer to their previous reporting, they updated a section about a rumor that turned out to be untrue (That Piskor had a sock puppet account on X; that account is still posting.)

I can also understand that this story raises complicated questions. Is it responsible to engage with a suicide note? Does covering an ugly conversation add to the fire?

This was a sensitive incident that occurred three days ago, so I can also appreciate commentators who are cautious rather than those who will raise the temperature for clicks.
    A serious journalist would not put in cancel culture being a factor, because a serious journalist understands that cancel culture is a right-wing talking point and not a real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    A serious journalist would not put in cancel culture being a factor, because a serious journalist understands that cancel culture is a right-wing talking point and not a real thing.
    I respectfully disagree. This exchange does highlight how difficult it is to cover a story that is politically loaded.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets