Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What happened to Newsarama???

Did they get hacked or did they do that to their site on purpose? It's an assault on the eyes in a way not seen since the days of MySpace. And is the giant Q meant to represent Qanon or something else? What is going on????

https://www.gamesradar.com/newsarama/

Newsarama still exists?

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

They got bought out like all the best comic sites.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    They got bought out like all the best comic sites.
    Yeah but that was years ago and at least the site eventually stabilized after the initial changes made by GamesRadar. A few weeks ago, the format completely changed to the trainwreck is currently. IDK. I just where I like to get my comic book news while at work on a desktop pc.

BANNED

last time I went to the newsarama website was pretty much just two years ago where they combined with Gamesradar. damn shame since Newsarama website by itself was a half decent comic book and movies website.

now, we're stuck with CBR and Screenrant

I barely check it out, but I used to go there daily.

It represents a major problem with the lack of a central news site for comics to keep fans abreast. Newsarama had that role in the 2000s. Wizard Magazine did it in the 90s.

Things are very niche-ified now.

As an example some of the most acclaimed comics journalism projects are deep-dives. PanelXPanel spent each issue mainly on one big mini-series/ ongoing. I like John Siuntres' Word Balloon and Matthew Rosenberg's Ideas Don't Bleed podcasts but each episode is an interview focusing on one person's work (and these are often multi-part.) Comics pros generally talk about their own stuff on Twitter.

Today at the comic store I saw that the creators of a mini-series I loved last year Superman: Space Age have started a Batman project. I'm happy to discover this, but it seems like something I should have known about months ago.

There doesn't seem to be a central hub for comics. Newsarama and CBR spend a lot of energy on geek media, but I'd like to see one place for something like this in comics. I want to know what's going on in titles I don't read, and what's accessible and worth checking out.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Back in 2017, 2018, 2019 I would once in awhile but the big physical magazine issues of Previewsworld from the comic book shop but the Previewsworld issues come out like once every two months or whatever which would keep me busy for a short while.

Back in the 1990s from 1993 to 2003 is when I was a huge fan of Wizard Magazine and Toyfare. They were the ones I would get my news fix for comic books, comic book movies, and action figures. then Gareb and the rest of the staff of Wizard/Toyfare had to go the internet path with the wizard world website or whatever they called it then for awhile the site was pretty good but then it turned into a stupid comic con website. Then the writers of Toyfare went off to get involved with Robot Chicken.

these days the only websites to have good comic book news etc are CBR, Screenrant and io9. That and the Youtubers comicbookfrontline and Comicpop

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Newsarama still exists?

-M
    Thats what I was thinking. I used to post at their forums too - ComiXfan. And that was a looong time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. I used to post at their forums too - ComiXfan. And that was a looong time ago.
    Yeah, I think the last time I actually went to Newsarama looking for news they were still hyping the upcoming Secret Invasion and Infinite Crisis series. I dabbled in their forums at that time too, but that was about the time I first discovered CBR and stopped going there. Now most of my comic news comes from either newsletters or social media posts by publishers or creators (or the Beat's daily e-mail update). My lcs uses Comics Hub, so I see the listings and can find (and preorder) new books through that so there's no need for me to go to a comic news site, the info comes to me once I've curated things.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

i don't think a comic news site just for comics isn't sustainable anymore. the news site has to put more diverse content on it to reach a broader audience.

And I don't think Newsarama is ugly or so, I visit it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    i don't think a comic news site just for comics isn't sustainable anymore. the news site has to put more diverse content on it to reach a broader audience.

You must be looking on your phone because I just checked on my phone and yeah it's not bad. Unfortunately, I only check it while at work on my desktop pc. Whoever did the new design for their site obviously only set it up for phones and that's ridiculous. Oh well, they've sucked since GamesRadar bought them anyway.

Extraordinary Member

I was on Old Rama, but I left when they canned the forums.

Pouring one out for ComicsContinuum which has died a similar design death...
    The article block style looks like a switch of hosting platforms or just a format that is easier to edit without having g a webmaster or comprehensive html knowledge.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    You must be looking on your phone because I just checked on my phone and yeah it's not bad. Unfortunately, I only check it while at work on my desktop pc. Whoever did the new design for their site obviously only set it up for phones and that's ridiculous. Oh well, they've sucked since GamesRadar bought them anyway.
    nah, only on my Mac, but maybe I have low expactations

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

Focusing mainly on comics would be one way for a new website to stand out. I think the biggest problem is that so many of the websites that say they offer diverse content are just so samey. All of them will cover the same articles from the LA Times or the Hollywood Reporter.

A focus on comics would also still allow for coverage on comic book movies and video games, as well as categories like webtoons and manga. It wouldn't be as niche as the journalism focusing on something narrow (IE- Alter Ego focus on Silver Age comics, Panel X Panel focuses on one series per issue- some of the series were obscure, The Columbus Scribbler is limited to Central Ohio, WomenWriteAboutComics.com is about half the population, etc.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets