View Poll Results: Should "The Dream" be the central value of the X-Men again?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, X-Men should go back to its founding values

48 66.67%
  • No, coexistence is outdated and they need to move on from it

24 33.33%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The "Dream" was based on protecting the world from evil mutants who wanted to take over. Magneto and everyone who followed. At some point most of the world threatening level mutant villains were taken out of the equation, causing the imbalance and 'genocidal' enemies were constantly created to fill the void. All they need to do is go back to good mutants fighting evil mutants. Just like everyone else gets to fight villains who are villains just to take over the world or cheat at a nobel prize, the X-Men can too. It is about a different way of telling stories, not rationalizing the last twenty years of stories that took a different direction.
    Why not saying that it ’s about good people fighting evil people, mutants or humans? The problem of coexistence concerns the day-to-day life, mundane little things like accidents, powers that can go awry, delinquency, petty things that are not very spectacular and not that interesting to show in a comic, that are just exacerbated because of powers.

I understand why a human would be wary of mutants, but also why a mutant would be wary of another mutant all the same. I suppose that on Krakoa there are still problems, it’s not happiness because they are all mutants and there’s no humans…

I find boring these stories humans versus mutants because there’s no way to understand what being a human in a world where (evil) mutants exist feels, as it’s a bit stupid to identify yourself with a being with super-powers: these are problematics that are too far from our life. Past stories where about feelings, interpersonal relationships, life-death situations, moral… at least, it was what interested the past authors… If an author has nothing more interesting to tell than “humans want to destroy mutants because they are afraid and mutants have to defend themselves against them”, what is the point of this comic?

Claremont started these kind of stories but it didn’t go further than a plot device, he wrote on so many other subjects…
    Last edited by Zelena; 03-28-2024 at 11:54 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I always thought the “Unity Team” made up of X-Men and Avengers was a good idea to show this kind of integration (and give prominent X and A characters something to do if they’re not on their main independent teams).
    The Avengers has always been a unity team
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

If not ”The Dream”, then what should the unifying factor that binds the X-Men together as a team actually be?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think going back to the Dream could be a good narrative for the new crop of writers to explore.

The X-Men will be dealing with the post-Krakoa fallout and their mutant nation literally turned to ashes. A number of them already expressed doubts that Krakoa was the way to go in the last several months and are disillusioned with it, with the mutant-human relationship at an all-time low. Some mutants will go back to want to conquer the world or antagonise the humans, some others will just want to lay low and be left in peace, like Kate.

And this is the context in which you explore characters coming around to thinking that maybe a peaceful co-existence with humanity is the only way forward and that the Dream is still worth fighting for. Can Scott bring himself to do that? Can Ororo and Logan and everyone else?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    If not ”The Dream”, then what should the unifying factor that binds the X-Men together as a team actually be?
    True equality for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    True equality for starters.
    What aspect of the Dream was inheritely incompatible with this in your mind?

Well, I voted to keep the dream alive, but I don't mean to just go back to the mansion or act like it's the 90's all over again. I think we can move forward and keep the idea of coexistence alive. I really like the idea of mutants scattered all around the galaxy, getting into all kinds of different things with many varied agendas. I would also like some of them to hold on to the Krakoa idea too, a nation for mutants here on Earth. Doesn't mean all of them have to sign up for that though.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 03-30-2024 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

as I wrote from the moment when building your nation and even leaving the earth to go to mars was not enough for humans to stop genocide of mutants, I don't see why mutants should make the slightest effort with their oppressors you would have to be crazy or poorly written to continue with this after all the genocides.

The x-men left krakoa to continue believing in the dream, saved the earth several times throughout this era and what reward did they get from humans? the destruction of their island, the destruction of their houses burning in New York, the deportation, hunting and genocide of mutants all over the planet but yes they still believe in the dream lol

and in July we will have again our mutants under Stockholm syndrome who will continue this stupid dream and will be rewarded with genocide while being surprised when it happens...absurd.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The X-Men did not leave Krakoa or it's ideology. They even make a point saying the treehouse is legally considered Krakoan territory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    The X-Men did not leave Krakoa or it's ideology. They even make a point saying the treehouse is legally considered Krakoan territory
    But the 'protect the world, not just Krakoa' thing they did for the first couple years before the whole line segued into Fall of X was....bad then? And....not promoting/inclusive of peaceful human/mutant co-existence?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    But the 'protect the world, not just Krakoa' thing they did for the first couple years before the whole line segued into Fall of X was....bad then? And....not promoting/inclusive of peaceful human/mutant co-existence?
    Yeah but it's not like they left Krakoa because they didn't like it

false they left krakoa because xavier no longer wanted anything to do with their dream where cyclops and jean still believed in it and thought they could do more by leaving krakoa at the end of x of sword this is the reason why jean left x-force, krakoa and the quiet advice to go to new york with cyclops to play super heroes to save among humans, rogue she already didn't even live in krakoa from the start.
    and for what result? genocide and more death.

as for the ideology of mutants it is logical when we saw the genocide perpetrated by humans the last one dating back not even a year before the founding of krakoa with the massacre of mutants by humans taking advantage of the disappearance of the x-men in age of x to exterminate them all I even found it stupid to see Xavier selling medicine to humans and making a law which implies not killing humans even what kills you, it made no sense after everything humans have done before and all the attempts human to harm krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    false they left krakoa because xavier no longer wanted anything to do with their dream where cyclops and jean still believed in it and thought they could do more by leaving krakoa at the end of x of sword this is the reason why jean left x-force, krakoa and the quiet advice to go to new york with cyclops to play super heroes to save among humans, rogue she already didn't even live in krakoa from the start.
    and for what result? genocide and more death.

as for the ideology of mutants it is logical when we saw the genocide perpetrated by humans the last one dating back not even a year before the founding of krakoa with the massacre of mutants by humans taking advantage of the disappearance of the x-men in age of x to exterminate them all I even found it stupid to see Xavier selling medicine to humans and making a law which implies not killing humans even what kills you, it made no sense after everything humans have done before and all the attempts human to harm krakoa.
    Xavier told him that he was proud of them for continuing to fight for his dream didn't he?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I dunno. I feel like the dream became almost unreachable once the extinction level threat stories started. Maybe around Decimation. It feels like it's been mostly about surviving since then. If we can take a break from immediate extinction threats then maybe coexistence can come into view again.
    I disagree, since the "extinction" threats.. aren't unique to Mutants. Sentinels were created to handle ALL superhumans, can and HAVE fought non-Mutants in the past. And Orchis... actually wants to wipe out all life on Earth.

Humans vs Mutants... is actually just a side show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Xavier told him that he was proud of them for continuing to fight for his dream didn't he?
    No, he just gave an approving smile while Magneto said "good boy", both after Scott left the room.