Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Looks good. I am loving me some JMD Spider-Man comics.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

It's kind of weird seeing Peter look age-appropriate instead of them just replicating how he looked in the Ditko era. Ditto with Aunt May. I guess it's not like they're trying to draw him like Tom Holland.

Also now I just imagine Peter having a thing against people with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Similar thoughts. It's DeMatteis. He know what how to tell a good Spider-Man story.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of weird seeing Peter look age-appropriate instead of them just replicating how he looked in the Ditko era. Ditto with Aunt May. I guess it's not like they're trying to draw him like Tom Holland.

Also now I just imagine Peter having a thing against people with guns.
    Which would put the Punisher near the top of his s*** list, notwithstanding Punisher beginning his published existence being tricked by the Jackal into nearly killing him out of thinking Spider-Man was a murderer of the innocent.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Which would put the Punisher near the top of his s*** list, notwithstanding Punisher beginning his published existence being tricked by the Jackal into nearly killing him out of thinking Spider-Man was a murderer of the innocent.
    Though it also feels very Batman .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Though it also feels very Batman .
    Spider-Man is rather influenced by Batman as well as Superman, at least in terms of subverting tropes common to both pillars of the DCU that have made them as respected and respectable as they are there. Batman is a vigilante who models himself after an animal that frightens people, yet he's also (usually) a multibillionaire in his civilian persona and he has the support of the local police commissioner, meaning the police will mostly keep off his case. In contrast, Spider-Man is also a vigilante who models himself after (and is empowered by) an animal that frightens people, tends to struggle financially, and is as mistrusted by the police, barring a few friendly captains that somehow never last long in the context of his ongoing adventures, as he is by the general public. Superman is a red-and-blue-garbed hero who works for a news organization in his civilian persona and that organization reports quite favorably on him for his heroics, whereas in contrast to that, the news organization Spider-Man (usually) works for in his civilian persona demonizes his alter ego and foments distrust of him among the general public.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    He's a master. I've spoken to him a few times and he's a really nice man, too. Definitely picking this up.

Fantastic Member

I kind of had a feeling that the shadow in the title had more than one meaning to it and now, I am sure. JMD is always great at reaching the deeper psychological levels in his story and he looks to be doing the same here. The shadow is grief after someone has dies (and loss in general) and how we deal with it. Norman becomes angry and lashes out at the world that took her and takes his anger out on his son. Harry having lost his mom, tries to connect with his distant and bitter dad. Aunt May (at first) becomes depressed and tries to protect Peter and put on a brave face. Peter does the same to her but uses being Spider-Man as a way to honor Ben and I think as a way to lash out. Nels (Proto Goblin) is dealing with his loss with rage and a vengeance that may have a helping hand in creating Spider-Man's most deadly enemy. This looks very good. I cannot wait.
    Last edited by SturdyMike89; 03-29-2024 at 08:12 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    I kind of had a feeling that the shadow in the title had more than one meaning to it and now, I am sure. JMD is always great at reaching the deeper psychological levels in his story and he looks to be doing the same here. The shadow is grief after someone has dies (and loss in general) and how we deal with it. Norman becomes angry and lashes out at the world that took her and takes his anger out on his son. Harry having lost his mom, tries to connect with his distant and bitter dad. Aunt May (at first) becomes depressed and tries to protect Peter and put on a brave face. Peter does the same to her but uses being Spider-Man as a way to honor Ben and I think as a way to lash out. Nels (Proto Goblin) is dealing with his loss with rage and a vengeance that may have a helping hand in creating Spider-Man's most deadly enemy. This looks very good. I cannot wait.
    Good insights! I think you're spot on there.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Nels Van Adder, from Spider-man -1
    This is a re-visitation that not only hadn't crossed my mind but I'm not sure needs a revisit. We shall see I suppose.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Nels Van Adder, from Spider-man -1
    This is a re-visitation that not only hadn't crossed my mind but I'm not sure needs a revisit. We shall see I suppose.
    The trade solicitation for this mini includes SM -1, which I think will be nice for people unfamiliar with that story
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I'm loving having some new JMD Spidey to read!

Fantastic Member

It was as good as expected. JMD really has still got it. His voice for Spidey is just perfect. Not much else to say other than that I’m very looking forward to reading next month’s issue. Almost as excited for more of this as I am more Ultimate Spidey

Man, I love with all my heart how JMD actually allows his female characters (Gwen, May...) to be angry at things.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.