Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

This started off way stronger than Lost Hunt, and DeMatteis might just manage to make something out of a lost plot thread introduced years ago that has just been lingering around for like... 6 years now and counting I think.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Nice starting off point interesting inclusion of the ending character considering how new she is. Also like how small Peter appear cause he is a teenager so he is still growing
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Reading JMD these days makes me sad because I am reminded of the vast difference in quality between what we had and what we have. JMD’s Peter could never work inside of Wells&Lowe’s run. There is a sense of willpower, integrity and just humanity that I never found in Wells run. The way that Peter say he will never forgive Osborn. Either it was an intended jab at ASM or it was unintended, it stung either way.

Gwen. She never was the most interesting character in my eyes but I want to see more of her and Harry being friends without Peter. There is interesting ground to cover there.

The proto-goblin is ok. I am a bit tired of Goblins. Still Norman here is interesting, always straggling the edge. One word from exploding. Almost bi-polar the way he overcompensates for his perceived weaknesses.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I like how the story is being told by current day Peter and he says he’s tried his best to piece his memories together so it may not be completely accurate, really smart way to avoid continuity errors, also the way current continuity is weaved back into giving new context to this old era of 616 Peter is really cool, things such as spoilers:
    Harry’s mom actually still being alive
    end of spoilers and stuff like that. It also hit me hard that Harry is gone again for real this time which Peter reflects on, even referencing the current run talking about how he’s let go of his hate for Norman but he can never forgive him, it’s all interwoven perfectly which gives it much more meaning rather than just being another “forgotten tale” type story
    Last edited by Crazyspideyfan; 04-03-2024 at 08:44 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I like how the story is being told by current day Peter and he says he’s tried his best to piece his memories together so it may not be completely accurate, really smart way to avoid continuity errors, also the way current continuity is weaved back into giving new context to this old era of 616 Peter is really cool, things such as spoilers:
    Harry’s mom actually still being alive
    end of spoilers and stuff like that. It also hit me hard that Harry is gone again for real this time which Peter reflects on, even referencing the current run talking about how he’s let go of his hate for Norman but he can never forgive him, it’s all interwoven perfectly which gives it much more meaning rather than just being another “forgotten tale” type story
    It's actually not current day Peter, but an older Peter looking back on his life, as confirmed by JMD in a recent interview.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's actually not current day Peter, but an older Peter looking back on his life, as confirmed by JMD in a recent interview.
    If it's after asm 50, then Peter will not start to hate Norman again

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    If it's after asm 50, then Peter will not start to hate Norman again
    JMD doesn't read modern Spider-Man stories. I can't remember the reason why, I am sure there is an interview about it somewhere. Regardless, this is an older Peter narrating the story. Now...whether it is a "Post-Wells" Peter or a "Post-Post-OMD" Peter is the real question.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Pretty enjoyable issue, and for someone who read the -1 issue that introduced Proto-Goblin, it's fun to see DeMatteis once again utilizing forgotten characters and bringing them back -- and expertly, as well! The main surprise for me was seeing Protogoblin essentially still in his right mind; I assumed he'd be a hulking, mindless monster living in the sewers or something based on how the -1 issue ended. But obviously it was also a surprise to see who the real mastermind of this mini is -- has the death of this person been debunked in past stories, or is this the first time we've seen SPOILERS alive and well?

Can't wait for next issue!

-Pav, who hopes JMD keeps getting to put out these Spidey miniseries...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

JMD doesn't read modern Spider-Man stories. I can't remember the reason why, I am sure there is an interview about it somewhere. Regardless, this is an older Peter narrating the story. Now...whether it is a "Post-Wells" Peter or a "Post-Post-OMD" Peter is the real question.
    A noble sentiment from him. I think we all should strive to do the same.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Pretty enjoyable issue, and for someone who read the -1 issue that introduced Proto-Goblin, it's fun to see DeMatteis once again utilizing forgotten characters and bringing them back -- and expertly, as well! The main surprise for me was seeing Protogoblin essentially still in his right mind; I assumed he'd be a hulking, mindless monster living in the sewers or something based on how the -1 issue ended. But obviously it was also a surprise to see who the real mastermind of this mini is -- has the death of this person been debunked in past stories, or is this the first time we've seen SPOILERS alive and well?

Can't wait for next issue!

-Pav, who hopes JMD keeps getting to put out these Spidey miniseries...
    No, not the first time. Read the finale of Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run, "Go Down Swinging," particularly issue 800, to see that particular character make their "I'm not as dead as you all thought" debut.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

That’s interesting I assumed it was current day since he referenced letting go of his hate for Norman and Harry being dead again along with his mom still being alive which were all fairly recent developments l, do you have the article where he said this I’d like to read more about his creative process

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    That’s interesting I assumed it was current day since he referenced letting go of his hate for Norman and Harry being dead again along with his mom still being alive which were all fairly recent developments l, do you have the article where he said this I’d like to read more about his creative process
    I can do you one even better. A video!

Fantastic Member

What does it say about me I wonder that not only do I remember Proto-Goblin from 1997, but that I am probably the only person who not only enjoyed Flashback month, but would be fine if they did it again? This issue is solid, and I greatly enjoyed it no matter what.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

hmmm.....titles having a mystery #-2 issue.
    Back before the carousel of title stop/re-start and renumber the #-1 issue made some linear sense.
    The random 9th volume of ASM with a #-2 just doesn't seem to flow as smoothly.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    hmmm.....titles having a mystery #-2 issue.
    Back before the carousel of title stop/re-start and renumber the #-1 issue made some linear sense.
    The random 9th volume of ASM with a #-2 just doesn't seem to flow as smoothly.
    Yeah, you're right. I can't imagine that Marvel would ever stop publishing their line-up for a whole month and do something different. Plus, if they did, it would never have the talent working on it that the original Flashback had. Marvel would just have guest artist/writers working on the books. It would not be as good.