Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Outside of the massive sellers like Batman and solid titles like Superman, a lot of titles yo-yo around these charts depending on the dates the books are sold.
    And sice the charts only giove ranking and not actual sales numbers books can even yo-yo around without the absolute sales changing much, simply because of events, new #1 releases, variant cover schemes ...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's bias because only certain stores are reporting much like the one Bleeding Cool uses. I know for that one not one store from my city is listed and I know maybe one or two are from my state.

Why is that important? Because how a book perform varies from state to state.
    Even if the absolute placing isn't representative, you can at least see trends. If the sales of a book fall off in the ICV2's sales list, that's likely still a good indication that it is loosing readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Why doesn't Batgirl, Barbara, have a solo series? Who knows....
    Because she has many "fans" who like her crippled.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Because she has many "fans" who like her crippled.
    I'm pretty sure it's just because they prefer her to be Dick's girlfriend. It's easier for the writer when both characters are available for the same book.

Sales for Babs' last solo were pretty weak by the end and Batgirls didn't sell great either.

Though I remember there being a rumor they had a lot of Batgirl stuff planned that got canned when the movie was written off.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, it's not like last two runs were well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    To be fair, it's not like last two runs were well received.
    Batgirls was a very "depending on who you ask" book.

It sold poorly at a time when everything at DC was selling poorly. Lobdell made Nightwing sell less than 20K, Jurgens came along and improved but not much. Batgirl (Barbara) has always been the third force of the Batfam since the New 52. And sometimes it outsold Nightwing, ​​but she is a female character, so throw her in the supporting role.
    Anyway, I'm going to read another Spider Woman comic while DC can't maintain a series with Batgirl in the title.

Astonishing Member

I have a feeling, that in terms of Bat-Family (and especially Batgirls) DC is mostly just waiting for Gunn's vision, which is why they aren't making some drastic decisions in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I have a feeling, that in terms of Bat-Family (and especially Batgirls) DC is mostly just waiting for Gunn's vision, which is why they aren't making some drastic decisions in this regard.
    The DC higher-ups almost certainly already know what Gunn's plans are.

The most likely reason why there isn't a Batgirl book right now is because the batoffice had been bleeding editors throughout 2023.

Remember when every time DC's sales reached a new low, people immediately demanded Bob Harras and Dan Didio's heads on a plate? But now that DC's numbers are on the toilet bowl again, people don't even acknowledge that Marie Javins exists. Funny how it goes...
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Astonishing Member

The most likely reason why there isn't a Batgirl book right now is because the batoffice had been bleeding editors throughout 2023.
    Bleeding Cool posted today, that they're struggling in their search for the editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Remember when every time DC's sales reached a new low, people immediately demanded Bob Harras and Dan Didio's heads on a plate? But now that DC's numbers are on the toilet bowl again, people don't even acknowledge that Marie Javins exists. Funny how it goes...
    There were thousands other reasons why people wanted DiDio and Harras out.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    The brand as a whole is in the gutter! From comics to animation to video games and especially films/shows, everything is tanking. Guess 10 years worth of the DCEU/Arrowverse killed the brand for an entire generation. Gunn has his work cut out for him
    I recently started a new job and speaking with my new coworkers about pop culture it always amazes me how much the average person knows about Marvel mythology. I told some of them that I like Marvel Comics/movies but I’ve always preferred DC Comics a bit more. they looked at with confusion haha. Like “why?!?” Obviously everyone loves Batman and Joker but that’s pretty much it.

It’s a diverse group and I asked a few of my Mexican-American coworkers if they had seen Blue Beetle and they said no. They just didn’t like or trust DC stuff. Not even something culturally significant can get past the DC image problem.

James Gunn has a monumental task ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I recently started a new job and speaking with my new coworkers about pop culture it always amazes me how much the average person knows about Marvel mythology. I told some of them that I like Marvel Comics/movies but I’ve always preferred DC Comics a bit more. they looked at with confusion haha. Like “why?!?” Obviously everyone loves Batman and Joker but that’s pretty much it.

It’s a diverse group and I asked a few of my Mexican-American coworkers if they had seen Blue Beetle and they said no. They just didn’t like or trust DC stuff. Not even something culturally significant can get past the DC image problem.

James Gunn has a monumental task ahead of him.
    Yup! I get those exact same reactions! People know about DC but they don’t trust the brand. Batman is probably the only one that has survived unscathed (thanks to Nolan and Reeves). Gunn is going to have to work from the ground up to make DC a viable brand again!

I mean people are complaining that Marvel is coming out with several different games while DC only has WW and Injustice 3 (most likely) on the horizon. The thing is, that’s because game developers are requesting to use Marvel characters, the same demand isn’t there for DC, outside of Batman. It’s a miracle that WW is getting a game
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    It sold poorly at a time when everything at DC was selling poorly. Lobdell made Nightwing sell less than 20K, Jurgens came along and improved but not much. Batgirl (Barbara) has always been the third force of the Batfam since the New 52. And sometimes it outsold Nightwing, ​​but she is a female character, so throw her in the supporting role.
    Anyway, I'm going to read another Spider Woman comic while DC can't maintain a series with Batgirl in the title.
    At least Babs isn't dealing with a rapidly aging baby .