Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sales for Batgirls tanked pretty hard. (I've got two reasons for this, one backed by evidence, the other is just speculation)

1. The writers were Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad. They drove Wonder Woman sales to the graveyard, and didn't do so well on Batgirls either.

(I'm sure they have their fans somewhere, but in my opinion, they are/were bar none some of the worst writers at DC I have ever read)

2. This is speculation....there is some evidence that having an original hero in a title alongside their legacy version doesn't sell well. (Partially because fans seem to favour one over the other)
    Aquamen attempted to this and the series tanked badly (It was transformed into a mini if I recall correctly.)

I think this can work with GL, but I'm not holding my breath outside of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Sales for Batgirls tanked pretty hard. (I've got two reasons for this, one backed by evidence, the other is just speculation)

1. The writers were Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad. They drove Wonder Woman sales to the graveyard, and didn't do so well on Batgirls either.

(I'm sure they have their fans somewhere, but in my opinion, they are/were bar none some of the worst writers at DC I have ever read)

2. This is speculation....there is some evidence that having an original hero in a title alongside their legacy version doesn't sell well. (Partially because fans seem to favour one over the other)
    Aquamen attempted to this and the series tanked badly (It was transformed into a mini if I recall correctly.)

Batgirls improved over time, especially around the arc with Shiva / Cluemaster. Was probably too late at that point to save the title.

Also forgot about Aquamen. That series must've bombed mega-hard since Aquaman has had nothing for Dawn of Dc.

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    Batgirls improved over time, especially around the arc with Shiva / Cluemaster. Was probably too late at that point to save the title.

Also forgot about Aquamen. That series must've bombed mega-hard since Aquaman has had nothing for Dawn of Dc.
    Aquaman had a few failed titles during that time. Aquamen, and the mini series with the Flash tanked as well. They both slipped out of the top 200. If I recall correctly Ram V's Adromeda sold well though.

I wouldn't be surprised if that if that's the reason we haven't seen anything from Aquaman since...could possibly be a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post

It's pretty unique observation. I mean DC must thought that by combining both original heroes and their legacies, they could sell the book to both fandoms and therefore more sales

The rumour is that Aquaman was supposed to have a Dawn of DC series by Francis Manapul, but it got cancelled when Manapul signed an exclusive contracts for Ghost Machine.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I recently started a new job and speaking with my new coworkers about pop culture it always amazes me how much the average person knows about Marvel mythology. I told some of them that I like Marvel Comics/movies but I’ve always preferred DC Comics a bit more. they looked at with confusion haha. Like “why?!?” Obviously everyone loves Batman and Joker but that’s pretty much it.
    How much MARVEL stuff is out there versus DC stuff that is not Bat God material? I am not just talking books. I am talking all levels of merchandise.

As bad as Marvel got ripped for it's variety-guess what it paid off. Meanwhile here is seems to be about a set group lead by Batman. Batman is not the issue. Nor is Harley.
    It's DC's failure to build up everyone else and fuel fan wars in Green Lantern and Flash and the Robins and Batgirls. All that is coming back to bite them.

Remember when every time DC's sales reached a new low, people immediately demanded Bob Harras and Dan Didio's heads on a plate? But now that DC's numbers are on the toilet bowl again, people don't even acknowledge that Marie Javins exists. Funny how it goes...
    How much damage did those two do versus Javins? Those two did not have to deal with the company being sold and the amount of butchering that has been done. So why attack her?

Well that was part of the G5 plot. Once that got tossed-you had two choices.

1) Pay creative teams for a dead project.
    2) Try something and hope for the best. Even if the book did not sell-you still got two trades worth of Aqualad-no matter how many folks hate his existence. Now that should not prevent more Aquaman material.

However how much stuff got axed between the sales of the company and axing of projects?

Along with how many folks have bolted to Image for Ghost Machine and other companies?

I mean DC must thought that by combining both original heroes and their legacies, they could sell the book to both fandoms and therefore more sales
    Well the issue is how HATED is the legacy. How much damage to the fandom has been done by management?

Funny Spider-Man is not having this issue. A franchise that SHOULD be about one guy. Yet at any given time Peter, married Peter, Miles, Gwen, Hobie, Eddie, Black Cat, Mary Jane, Carnage, Silk, Miguel or random spider person can get a mini or one shot.

Because that management did not try to destroy anyone unlike HERE.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post

Batgirls taking almost a year to get the characters right and even then not really as Steph wasn't that good for sure killed it. I heard it is doing good in the trades

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The rumour is that Aquaman was supposed to have a Dawn of DC series by Francis Manapul, but it got cancelled when Manapul signed an exclusive contracts for Ghost Machine.
    Whatever the case may have been, one thing is for sure....Aquaman needs a good writer next time they launch a run.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny Spider-Man is not having this issue. A franchise that SHOULD be about one guy. Yet at any given time Peter, married Peter, Miles, Gwen, Hobie, Eddie, Black Cat, Mary Jane, Carnage, Silk, Miguel or random spider person can get a mini or one shot.

Because that management did not try to destroy anyone unlike HERE.
    Have you even been paying any attention for the past 2 years? Did you miss what they did to Peter, to MJ, to Ben Reilly, to Janine, to Jessica Drew, etc. It's fine to treat characters like crap just because they get content? Are those really your standards?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I’m suprised nothing else coincided with the film

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Sad that the books I collect sell so horribly.

Flash
    Jay Garrick
    Speed Force

It pretty much kills any chance of getting two monthly Flash titles (one for Wally, one for Barry)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Sad that the books I collect sell so horribly.

Flash
    Jay Garrick
    Speed Force

It pretty much kills any chance of getting two monthly Flash titles (one for Wally, one for Barry)
    To be FAIR the question that needs to be asked is...

Did it not sell or was it a case of a book that actually did sell but not enough?

One thing the messed system of Marvel and DC has is-they only GAF about how many books are ORDERED. Various writers have stated this on record.

If all your store sells is 3 issues of Jay Garrick-on what planet does it warrant you to order 20-50 copies?

How many times have we seen a large pile of unsold something in a store that warrant too many sales (looking at YOU Midtown Comics-who sort of has an excuse).

Jumping on to say Batman is EASIER than say Stray Dogs-where almost every single printing kept selling out. Unlike Batman or Superman.

So if you selling all or most of your copies of Jay Garrick-what is there for a new person try? Nothing. Hello trade waiting or the library.

DC only cares about ORDERS. When they need to also and probably care MORE about actual sales to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To be FAIR the question that needs to be asked is...

Did it not sell or was it a case of a book that actually did sell but not enough?

One thing the messed system of Marvel and DC has is-they only GAF about how many books are ORDERED. Various writers have stated this on record.

If all your store sells is 3 issues of Jay Garrick-on what planet does it warrant you to order 20-50 copies?

How many times have we seen a large pile of unsold something in a store that warrant too many sales (looking at YOU Midtown Comics-who sort of has an excuse).

Jumping on to say Batman is EASIER than say Stray Dogs-where almost every single printing kept selling out. Unlike Batman or Superman.

So if you selling all or most of your copies of Jay Garrick-what is there for a new person try? Nothing. Hello trade waiting or the library.

DC only cares about ORDERS. When they need to also and probably care MORE about actual sales to a person.
    These numbers are taken from a small pool of comic shop sales, as the new distributors don't release numbers, and DC doesn't operate the stores. If a shop over orders DC can't really do anything about that except stuff like offering returns on unsold issues.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-04-2024 at 11:56 AM.