Extraordinary Member

Default Shazam! #10 Preview

Shazam! #10 Preview
    Writer: Josie Campbell
    Artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Billy has a new love interest? Though I wonder if Beau will get the wrong idea about who Mary is (i.e. thinking she's his girlfriend rather than his sister).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Alright time to begin the writer change, hopefully Campbell pulls it off and keeps it as fun as Waid's tenure.

At least the book is being kept on a better schedule than the last run by Johns.

Billy finally has a love interest for the first time in...who knows how long?

Also she has white hair so you can tell there's more to her than meets the eye.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Billy finally has a love interest for the first time in...who knows how long?

Also she has white hair so you can tell there's more to her than meets the eye.
    Could she be a revised version of Sabine, from TRIALS OF SHAZAM?

Sabina. That certainly fits, since there's still the issue of Freddy being depowered, and she was his rival for the power when Billy had become the wizard. But apparently she had an alias, and it's Samantha Greene, not Beau. Surely if it was meant to be Sabina, she'd be calling herself Sam?
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Sabina_De...ix_(New_Earth)
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Oftentimes when a book transitions from one creative team to another there is a distinct feeling of a disconnect between the two; which is completely understandable as the old team's story is over and the new team wants to mark their territory. However, every so often you get a hand off where if you didn't know the team had changed you wouldn't be the wiser and this is just such an occasion as Campbell seamlessly picks up where Waid left off to start her own yarn. It's perhaps not all that surprising that the transition felt seamless as Josie Campbell is no stranger to the Shazam family having already written the fantastic New Champion of Shazam and using Mary really well in Amazon's Attack! but it felt comforting none the less that this was going to remain a fun, upbeat book. I really loved how she picked up on the prior godly hijinks that the Marvel family endured and used it to introduce a new other worldly threat all while building further on the ramifications that Billy bought on by summoning more of the power of Shazam onto himself. On top of that we now get Hoppy the magic bunny as well as Talky Tawny so it's going to be double the fun going forward.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

This was a fun issue. The transition from Waid to Campbell felt seamless. It still keeps the same spirit and concludes the whole house deal nicely. There's some fun sequences that come from this too.

I didn't keep up with all of Campbell's books since Champion of Shazam, but did they ever address Hoppy ditching her previous owner to hang out with Mary?
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    This was a fun issue. The transition from Waid to Campbell felt seamless. It still keeps the same spirit and concludes the whole house deal nicely. There's some fun sequences that come from this too.

I didn't keep up with all of Campbell's books since Champion of Shazam, but did they ever address Hoppy ditching her previous owner to hang out with Mary?
    No, though it was funny when the police showed up at the house and she immediately assumed she was about to be arrested for petnapping .

Mighty Member

Agreed. I came here to say just this.

That previous owner probably thinks the rabbit escaped - which is true, but obviously she doesn't know Hoppy has teleportation powers and likely thinks she just escaped when Mary left - and doesn't know she's with Mary. And Mary isn't around for her to ask since she never went back to that college after becoming the New Champion, instead returning to Fawcett City because Mr and Mrs Vasquez were missing. If she didn't go home the other kids would've been taken away.

I don't think Mary needs to worry about her coming back for Hoppy. Not unless she finds out the girl she knows as Marina is actually Mary Marvel, anyway.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-05-2024 at 07:04 AM.

Incredible Member

Liked it. LOVED the idea that Billy's Elders are "slumming" with the family with their antics. Hopefully, we'll see more interactions between Billy and the rest, as "The Captain" (ugh) becomes his own man. Oh, and more nymphs!