Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Superman Unchained, #8

It's all going to hell as cosmic-level war breaks out! The full truth of who - or what - Wraith is finally comes to light!

Full article here.

Are they going to fight around the planet?

Looks cool. I really hope we can get the final issue out with no further delays. Good story, but delays have been a killer
    Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman

Fantastic Member

Looking forward to this, but the big problem with this story is that there is no way Superman would be taking on this kind of foe without the help of his friends. I enjoyed the last issue, in part, because it made exactly this point. I understand this is a "Superman" book, but taking on villains that are beyond the power of any single hero - OK, well that's the Avengers, but it works for the JL too! Why isn't Wonder Woman out there helping Supes take on Wraith, as she helped Batman last issue? Between the two of them, I suspect Wraith would be beaten into a pulp fairly quickly.

One other thing: how could throwing Superman into a mountain, no matter how hard, break his ribs? I imagine it would be like throwing a normal human into a mountain of paper mache; no way that rocks and ice are capable of harming Superman, unless his personal invulnerability is somehow compromised. What are the rules for Superman's power in the New 52? Is he invulnerable because of a personal forcefield still?

That aside, this has been a good series. Looking forward to finding out more about the origins of Wraith. He is not Kryptonian, but the similarity in his power to Supes makes me wonder if he is a Kryptonian offshoot.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    One other thing: how could throwing Superman into a mountain, no matter how hard, break his ribs? I imagine it would be like throwing a normal human into a mountain of paper mache; no way that rocks and ice are capable of harming Superman, unless his personal invulnerability is somehow compromised.
    It depends on his velocity. If I threw a human through a wall of paper mache at, say, 100 miles per hour, it's going to do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    What are the rules for Superman's power in the New 52? Is he invulnerable because of a personal forcefield still?
    No, he is invulnerable because he absorbs sunlight and it grants him his powers. I don't remember him ever having a personal forcefield (although the Byrne explanation for the suit was an invulnerable'aura').
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Just read it, I'm extremely impressed!

http://iblogalot.com/2014/09/10/superman-unchained-8/

So, so disappointed with this story. Believe it or not, Jim Lee´s work increased its level as the story unfolded, whereas Snyder´s writting went worse and worse.

The way Superman manages to defeat Wraith is arbitrary and nonsensical, and the Lex Luthor sub-plot... but hey, he did mention The Iliad.

I am through supporting Scott Snyder.
    Last edited by Charlus; 09-10-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    So, so disappointed with this story. Believe it or not, Jim Lee´s work increased its level as the story unfolded, whereas Snyder´s writting went worse and worse.

The way Superman manages to defeat Wraith is arbitrary and nonsensical, and the Lex Luthor sub-plot... but hey, he did mention The Iliad.

I am through supporting Scott Snyder.
    I haven't read the new issue yet, but don't mind being spoiled, so can you elaborate on your criticisms? What made Superman's defeat of Wraith "arbitrary" and "nonsensical"? I can tell by your listing of the "Lex Luthor sub-plot" that you find fault with it. However, just naming it doesn't illuminate its failings. So, then, what is the problem with the Luthor sub-plot?

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

On the contrary, I for once enjoyed seeing Superman outsmarting Wraith using both his brain and physically. And while I did enjoy the story I feel like the ending is rather predictable here, right? Wraith will end up sacrificing himself using Luthor's bomb thing (after Batman gives him a pep talk and convinces him to be a good person/thing/monster because, c'mon, it's Snyder people) to spare Supes from killing himself.
    Also, whatever happened to old man Colder? I really hope we get some resolution to that side story. It certainly can't end with him just emptying his gun on young Clark. I really enjoyed those flashbacks.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue as well.

The scene with Kal Punching Wraith in outer space was breath taking!

The art just rocks so hard, I love it.

Loved that Kal could outsmart his enemy and love the story arc as a whole.... wish this mag could continue for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    The scene with Kal Punching Wraith in outer space was breath taking!

The art just rocks so hard, I love it.
    Agreed, it's some of Jim Lee's best stuff.