Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I find it really odd that some of the people on here, who despise everything post OMD, are still PAYING for the thing they hate. Like, even saying it's your hobby or habit, it's really sad at this point to be hate buying (which just tells Marvel they're doing a good job) when there's a world of awesome comics out there. Go buy those instead!

Want to keep up? Just browse the a thread to pick up what's going on (say, the last part of Gang War) and move on with your day. That's what I do.
    I think most complaining dropped the book. Most complaining also want it fixed because they want an excuse to come back.

But you’re correct that there’s a sizable portion of readers that just won’t drop it for any reason, because they’ve invested too much time and money into it to stop now. I asked some readers on Reddit why they still were buying if they hated the run and the majority of answers were a combination of “I always buy ASM”, “I can’t stand a gap in my collection”, “it’s like supporting your team during a bad season”, “I just haven’t bothered removing it from my pull list”, “surely they have a master plan to fix it all up! I’m hopeful!”, and “I really like the artists”.

I agree that I don’t think it’s healthy to keep supporting something you dislike. There’s far too many other great books out there needing a bigger audience.

Reminds me of this classic:
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    “it’s like supporting your team during a bad season”,
    That is a tenuous analogy at best.

Fantastic Member

I certainly don't buy this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    That is a tenuous analogy at best.
    I agree. Merely sharing what I was told.

I’ve always been frustrated by the “support your team, ups and downs” because, no, if a team is having a rough season, I want answers and improvements. If a player keeps fumbling the ball, you swap in someone else. If every game is disappointing, are the coaches doing their job? Etc.

The ideology behind unconditional support exists, though. I’ve lived through enough sports scandals and seen fans defend the team and coaches in the face of literal criminal behavior in the name of “standing by your team”. And that’s always boggled my mind. I certainly don’t think or act like that, but many people do.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

I dropped the book and wrote an email to spideyoffice@marvel.com explaining why.

I don't pick it up, either. I do read the preview pages, read threads and check out reviews and snippets and such, to see if things are improving (*snicker*). Heck, I don't even read the full issues on the app.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think most complaining dropped the book. Most complaining also want it fixed because they want an excuse to come back.

But you’re correct that there’s a sizable portion of readers that just won’t drop it for any reason, because they’ve invested too much time and money into it to stop now. I asked some readers on Reddit why they still were buying if they hated the run and the majority of answers were a combination of “I always buy ASM”, “I can’t stand a gap in my collection”, “it’s like supporting your team during a bad season”, “I just haven’t bothered removing it from my pull list”, “surely they have a master plan to fix it all up! I’m hopeful!”, and “I really like the artists”.

I agree that I don’t think it’s healthy to keep supporting something you dislike. There’s far too many other great books out there needing a bigger audience.

Very good one there. And yes, indeed, there are plenty of other great books out there that could use more readers, even and especially outside the Big Two.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This was pretty much me with Batman into my late 20's. It's why I call it sad, I was doing it myself and wasting so much money. It took Batman literally shooting Darkseid with a gun for me to finally realise I had to quit. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This was pretty much me with Batman into my late 20's. It's why I call it sad, I was doing it myself and wasting so much money. It took Batman literally shooting Darkseid with a gun for me to finally realise I had to quit. Lol.
    I think we all get there. No indefinitely-running book goes without major low points.

I’ve learned it’s best to follow talented WRITERS over characters. A writer with strong storytelling chops can spin magic on any book, but Spider-Man (or Batman or Superman, etc.) aren’t automatically worth reading in spite of a subpar story or misguided writer being attached.

I think we all get there. No indefinitely-running book goes without major low points.

I’ve learned it’s best to follow talented WRITERS over characters. A writer with strong storytelling chops can spin magic on any book, but Spider-Man (or Batman or Superman, etc.) aren’t automatically worth reading in spite of a subpar story or misguided writer being attached.
    For me it's a matter of whether you like a writer or their interpretation of a character or property.

Like Jonathan Hickman is a good writer but ultimately even if his writing was sound I ultimately (heh) didn't care for his interpretation of the Avengers.

“Highly talked about” is certainly one way of putting it.
    Indeed, it should be changed to controversial (and I'm being generous) for accuracy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    We can only hope for a better run after this.
    I'll give the next run a chance at the very least, but if the more egregious sins of this run are not modified or otherwise corrected in short order, I don't know if my interest will last long. Say what you will about Spencer's run, you can ignore all the lackluster Kindred reveal stuff but the changes made to MJ, for example, are not so easy to ignore moving forward.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'll give the next run a chance at the very least, but if the more egregious sins of this run are not modified or otherwise corrected in short order, I don't know if my interest will last long. Say what you will about Spencer's run, you can ignore all the lackluster Kindred reveal stuff but the changes made to MJ, for example, are not so easy to ignore moving forward.
    This is comics. You do know how easily that can be handwaved away?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Maybe the fact that major developments like that can be handwaved away is the problem. Why even get invested in these characters and stories if nothing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    True, but I'm concerned stubbornness by Marvel Editorial will saddle us the fans with Jackpot and Paul for some time to come. I hope I'm wrong. *crosses fingers & toes*