Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Probably straight people, not LGBT+. Most of us have finally learned to spot blatant queerbaiting and stop getting our hopes up. (At least I hope everyone did.)
    https://community.cbr.com/newreply.p...eply&p=6768579
    They will probably have Morph have crush on Wolverine, but no way they will have a cashcow like Wolverine turn anything else than straight. The cries of all the uber-macho fans would be funny to watch, though.
    It would be awesome to see the MCU and Marvel comics turn Wolverine 100% gay and not Bi. Watch the merch and comics fly off the shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    No where close. X Men was the face of Marvel and the premiere team in comics as a whole. They are no where near the Avengers in terms of general popularity as of now, yet.
    Comics are niche market though.

Not at all.
    Mostly of the success of '97 is nostalgia of the 90s, reflecting how popular the franchise was in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    And if they were so inclined to turn their biggest X-character gay after 50 years, it sure as hell wouldn’t be in a kids cartoon. Lol. That’s the dumbest part of that take to me. There aren’t corporate execs on the planet who are that bad at creating shareholder value. At least I wouldn’t think. Maybe Sony greenlighting Madame Web after their already horrible track record comes close, but even that wouldn’t be this stupid.
    He wouldn't be gay, that's what you are not getting. Morph doesn't identify as male, they identify as non binary. Coupled with Morph's shapeshifting, Morph likely identifies with whatever form they take, meaning when Morph shapeshifts into a girl, they ARE a girl. That's the rules, I didn't make them up.

Marvel and Disney have embraced the belief system that people are whatever gender they self-identify as. Say that Cyclops self-identifies as a girl, and Wolverine has sex with Cyclops, then Wolverine is not gay because he is having sex with a girl because that is what Cyclops identifies as.

Wolverine can chose not to hook up with Morph because he isn't into Morph as a person, but he can't chose not to because Morph is man, because for Wolverine to see Morph as a man would violate the rules Marvel and Disney now exist by. You would likely get fired from either company for expressing a belief like that, so no way is Wolveine going to be allowed to go against the corporate philosophy.
    Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Ah. Yeah. That makes total sense.

Can I have some of whatever you’re on? Seems like it’s potent. DM me for specifics.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

X-Men at its height is still nowhere near the cultural impact of Infinity War and Endgame for the Avengers. Feels like there is an opportunity now for something like that though - a cultural moment.

I think the strength of the X-Men in the current milieu is not in even in the minority metaphor, but in the potential diversity of the cast. Mike how everyone on this forum has their favourites, there can be a mutant for everyone, unlike the Avengers who were all Military Industrial complex cast-offs and monarchs. Ant-man and Spider-Man are pretty much the only “normal” Avengers, and like them, the X-Men can be relatable because they are us. It’s basically like what Marvel Studios was trying to do with the Eternals, except the characters can be humans with different personalities instead of acting like weird immortal robots.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 03-31-2024 at 07:33 PM.

X-MEN 97 was not that great of a hit inside general audience as some people think it was. Sure it wasn´t a flop obviously since it was Disney+ most viewed cartoon show since What if but it is way far from the popularity X-MEN TAS once had. Most people I know including my kids, friends of my kids and nephews don´t care about X-MEN 97 so far. I agree with someone who said that the biggest part of the success X-MEN 97 had is due to nostalgia of some adults who watched the old show.

Deadpool and Wolverine on the other hand seems pretty popular along general audience but most people doesn´t even associate this movie with the X-MEN.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    Most people I know including my kids, friends of my kids and nephews don´t care about X-MEN 97 so far. I agree with someone who said that the biggest part of the success X-MEN 97 had is due to nostalgia of some adults who watched the old show.

Deadpool and Wolverine on the other hand seems pretty popular along general audience but most people doesn´t even associate this movie with the X-MEN.
    yeah but kids are followers… once some big time YouTube personality tells them it’s cool or they put some kinda skin in Fortnite/roblox or whatever f2p game then kids opinions will change
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    X-Men at its height is still nowhere near the cultural impact of Infinity War and Endgame for the Avengers. Feels like there is an opportunity now for something like that though - a cultural moment.

I think the strength of the X-Men in the current milieu is not in even in the minority metaphor, but in the potential diversity of the cast. Mike how everyone on this forum has their favourites, there can be a mutant for everyone, unlike the Avengers who were all Military Industrial complex cast-offs and monarchs. Ant-man and Spider-Man are pretty much the only “normal” Avengers, and like them, the X-Men can be relatable because they are us. It’s basically like what Marvel Studios was trying to do with the Eternals, except the characters can be humans with different personalities instead of acting like weird immortal robots.
    That's indeed one of the core strengths of the X-men franchises as part of super hero media.

Anyone from the rich corperate family offfspring or secret agent to the meek high schooler or homeless favela kid could gain the powers to become a super hero or villain thanks to the random chance of having a special gene, which then also offers a unifying aspect to their respective teams.

Though it also led to a massive inflation of characters, which by now are a double edged sword. On one hand offering said "everyone" characters that anyone could become attached to, but never having enough space for them, which is going to be a struggle for the next multi-media push for the franchise to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    X-MEN 97 was not that great of a hit inside general audience as some people think it was. Sure it wasn´t a flop obviously since it was Disney+ most viewed cartoon show since What if but it is way far from the popularity X-MEN TAS once had. Most people I know including my kids, friends of my kids and nephews don´t care about X-MEN 97 so far. I agree with someone who said that the biggest part of the success X-MEN 97 had is due to nostalgia of some adults who watched the old show.

While it did generate some buzz, it seems to have mainly been with the people who had allready been fans for decades either because of TAS, or non-comic media output of the early 2000's. So mostly people in their late 20s to early 40's.

If anything it mainly reignited SOME interest, simply by being a new piece of X-men media (not entirely dedicated to Wolverine or Deadpool) which didn't "suck" as most of the late FoX-men movies seem to have been perceived.

The movie rights conflict and resulting lack of stand out new X-men media, especially the one aimed at a younger audience, seem to have lost the franchise an entire decade or more worth of fans.

Compare Spiderman who since the 70's consistently had some form of TV show, movie or video game to his name, therefor never fading away from being noted and liked by kids each generation, regardless of how terrible or niche the comics had become or how Marvel and Sony were competing over the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    yeah but kids are followers… once some big time YouTube personality tells them it’s cool or they put some kinda skin in Fortnite/roblox or whatever f2p game then kids opinions will change
    Didn't Fortnite allready have multiple X-men based skins?

Still true that it just needs the right "spark" for the franchise to gain their attention aswell again.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-01-2024 at 07:55 AM.

Spectacular Member

I'd say it's popularity is back to before the Fox movie rights drama, MCU, Pre Avengers vs X-men era(Lowkey before the X-men Phoenix movie). Almost on the same level as the 90s after Krakoa breakthrough. We still don't have a sole X-men video game based of Krakoa era(Wolverine announced game don't count.)

Astonishing Member

I dunno about more popular than ever. The peak of the franchise was probably the early-to-mid 2000's. The TAS was a recent memory. The original films were taking the world by storm. The comics were undergoing a renaissance under Morrison. You had X-men Evolution airing (which I have a particular soft corner for as it was my gateway drug to the world of the X-men!)

The MCU has dominated the Marvel discource (indeed the superhero discource) for the 2010's, though we've had a few great X-men (and related) films.

I do see a resurgence on the horizon though, between X-men '97 and Deadpool & Wolverine - not to mention the impending MCU reboot. But whether the X-men would ever be able to get back to the dominance of the 2000's is another matter entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I see them trying to say the numbers for X-Men 97 are terrific, but the truth is that 4M views over two episodes (which really means 2 M viewers twice) isn't anything great. That doesn't even equal the first season of What If..., and that was a pretty niche audience itself compared to the popularity of the MCU movies. (At least past Endgame, when they started going...let's put it politely and say 'in a new direction'.)

https://****************/x-men-97-ra...bomb-on-disney

That said, I'm curious what Deadpool does without being hampered by the bad publicity around X-Men '97, which drove away a lot of people my age who grew up on the originals and tuned out once we heard DeMayo talk about his vision for the series. (And Marvel is really going to have a problem if they go all the way and make Logan and Morph hook up or whatever. I don't know how many viewers they can afford to lose, but I'm suspect they'll lose a lot more than that number.)
    Citation needed...

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I see them trying to say the numbers for X-Men 97 are terrific, but the truth is that 4M views over two episodes (which really means 2 M viewers twice) isn't anything great.)

i wish ppl would stop saying this. more than 4m people have watched
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Is "X-Men 97 are actually a failure" going to be the new "MCU is so done" that some posters were repeating for almost a decade?
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Is "X-Men 97 are actually a failure" going to be the new "MCU is so done" that some posters were repeating for almost a decade?
    Yeah, it's such a colossal failure that it's already been renewed for a third -- not second, third -- season. Guess the execs at Disney must be supremely disappointed with it.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”