Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is the X-Men franchise more popular than ever now?

It feels like there is a X-Men renaissance happening right now with X-Men '97 and Deadpool & Wolverine.

Deadpool & Wolverine's teaser trailer had gained 242 million views in its first 24 hours (356 million with the Super Bowel views), which is on par with Avengers: Infinity War's 24 hour views (230 million). It looks like it might become the highest grossing X-Men movie ever if it is received well.

While X-Men '97 gained four million views on its first five days on Disney+. It had the most watched animated series premiere on Disney+ and was the #1 most popular show online at the time.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    It feels like there is a X-Men renaissance happening right now with X-Men '97 and Deadpool & Wolverine.

Deadpool & Wolverine's teaser trailer had gained 242 million views in its first 24 hours (356 million with the Super Bowel views), which is on par with Avengers: Infinity War's 24 hour views (230 million). It looks like it might become the highest grossing X-Men movie ever if it is received well.

While X-Men '97 gained four million views on its first five days on Disney+. It had the most watched animated series premiere on Disney+ and was the #1 most popular show online at the time.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks for sharing these numbers. I love that X-Men is back in the public conversation again. I'm not sure if it's more popular now than ever before (X-Men #1 and the first animated series era was huge) but its popularity is definitely quickly growing again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's hard to measure popularity when different media across different decades are at play - X-Men was HUGE at their peak in the 90s in both comics and television. Nowadays, comics are a niche market, TV programming is more crowded than it ever was, but we have the movies which we didn't have until 2000 and which go a very long way towards solidifying a franchises popularity and launching it into the mainstream.

At the end of the day what matters is that the X-Men are on the upswing and I feel it's just the very beginning.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

if the reboot hits like it’s supposed too it’s a wrap X-MEN are unquestionably #1
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

In mainstream media, yes, in the comics the X-Men brand has fallen out of favor with most readers.

No but there's potential to surpass the 90's with them coming to the mcu

I don't think the current era comes anywhere near close to what the X-men where at their peak. They don't even have a hit videogame at the moment.

No way that their popularity now surpasses the 90s or the release of the first movie.
    Sure, it’s great that the animated series is a hit, but the original show was HUGE.
    They need to keep the quality high across other media to ensure the brand keeps improving.
    They can’t botch their live action reboot like the last few MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    In mainstream media, yes, in the comics the X-Men brand has fallen out of favor with most readers.
    Yeah. I think film/TV-wise the X-Men's popularity might be at their peak. Comic-wise, they're a shadow of their former selves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    if the reboot hits like it’s supposed too it’s a wrap X-MEN are unquestionably #1
    Yep. If they’re not back yet, they will be soon! Gonna be a great summer.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I mean look, they are setting social media on fire with the memes, gifs and reactions to ‘97 and like you said, the Deadpool & Wolverine trailer did huge views.

I think it’s safe to say the X-Men are resurgent! Let’s keep it up.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I see them trying to say the numbers for X-Men 97 are terrific, but the truth is that 4M views over two episodes (which really means 2 M viewers twice) isn't anything great. That doesn't even equal the first season of What If..., and that was a pretty niche audience itself compared to the popularity of the MCU movies. (At least past Endgame, when they started going...let's put it politely and say 'in a new direction'.)

https://cosmicbook.news/x-men-97-ratings-bomb-on-disney

That said, I'm curious what Deadpool does without being hampered by the bad publicity around X-Men '97, which drove away a lot of people my age who grew up on the originals and tuned out once we heard DeMayo talk about his vision for the series. (And Marvel is really going to have a problem if they go all the way and make Logan and Morph hook up or whatever. I don't know how many viewers they can afford to lose, but I'm suspect they'll lose a lot more than that number.)
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

There are seriously people who think they might have Wolverine and Morph hook up? Lol. Jesus.…
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    There are seriously people who think they might have Wolverine and Morph hook up? Lol. Jesus.…
    i think it’ll be unrequited. i wish they’d verbalize it though instead and get it out in the open. sucks for morph though i really like this character
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I see them trying to say the numbers for X-Men 97 are terrific, but the truth is that 4M views over two episodes (which really means 2 M viewers twice) isn't anything great. That doesn't even equal the first season of What If..., and that was a pretty niche audience itself compared to the popularity of the MCU movies. (At least past Endgame, when they started going...let's put it politely and say 'in a new direction'.)

https://cosmicbook.news/x-men-97-ratings-bomb-on-disney

That said, I'm curious what Deadpool does without being hampered by the bad publicity around X-Men '97, which drove away a lot of people my age who grew up on the originals and tuned out once we heard DeMayo talk about his vision for the series. (And Marvel is really going to have a problem if they go all the way and make Logan and Morph hook up or whatever. I don't know how many viewers they can afford to lose, but I'm suspect they'll lose a lot more than that number.)
    I remember seeing a chart showing that What If only had 1 millions views. That page seems like clickbait if you ask me. It even makes that stupid complaint about Rogue's butt.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 03-31-2024 at 02:58 PM.