Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

I don't think all those characters would be used in this hypothetical Spider-Man '98.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't think all those characters would be used in this hypothetical Spider-Man '98.
    At the very least, regardless of whether they choose to recast, Kingpin should be used sparingly or not at all.

The show made him involved in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    At the very least, regardless of whether they choose to recast, Kingpin should be used sparingly or not at all.

Nah, I disagree, you gotta keep Fisk around. Having his presence felt as the street level Big Bad helped.

Who to play him after Roscoe Lee Browne gave that great performance though will be tough to figure out.

Mighty Member

Agreed. I hope that, if anything, his VA having such a distinctive voice and passing would convince them to use him sparingly. Not necessarily excluded entirely, but not made the big overarching threat of every story. We don't need the Kingpin behind the Clone Saga and KLH.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-03-2024 at 12:06 PM.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

If they do a full-on Clone Saga, Billy West does a pretty hilarious impression of Jonathan Harris' Doctor Smith...

On on the one hand, anyone but Roscoe Lee Brown as Kingpin would feel wrong.

On the other hand, he was such a pivotal figure in the 90's show that not having him at all would also feel wrong.

While a fair number of Spider-man rogues are slightly deranged loners who shouldn't be tied into anyone else's criminal activities, I kind of think the point of the title Kingpin is that he's at least tangentially involved in most things.
    (I've only ever watched the first few episodes of the series - the storytelling for the Lizard episode was fine but the Doctor Octopus episode was rather spotty. Also, the animation quality made every facial expression look like one of those anime sequences where a character is about to turn into a giant primordial psychic blob monster.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    While a fair number of Spider-man rogues are slightly deranged loners who shouldn't be tied into anyone else's criminal activities, I kind of think the point of the title Kingpin is that he's at least tangentially involved in most things.
    (I've only ever watched the first few episodes of the series - the storytelling for the Lizard episode was fine but the Doctor Octopus episode was rather spotty. Also, the animation quality made every facial expression look like one of those anime sequences where a character is about to turn into a giant primordial psychic blob monster.)
    The intention was clearly to create a sense that Peter has no control over his life and that the rich evil dude he doesn't even know exists is responsible for so much of his problems without him knowing... and that's cool... but at one point it got way too over the top.

The show did have a great take on Kingpin.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Plus I don't know how nobody ever noticed the Chrysler Building was regularly opening up like a toaster oven to disgorge supervillains and killer robots.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Plus I don't know how nobody ever noticed the Chrysler Building was regularly opening up like a toaster oven to disgorge supervillains and killer robots.
    Ha! Yeah I remember that. Totally an Avi Arad Toy Biz move lol

Astonishing Member

As for my personal ideas about what it could happen if the series is reborn, I have some essential ideas that have to be part of it.

+ First of all, I want the Spider-Marriage to still exist here; mainly because this is the ONLY series until know where Peter and MJ are married. ("Spider-Man Unlimited" was a disaster). I since in "X-Men '97" we got the birth of Nathan Summers, I believe a perfect way to end this series would be the birth of May "Mayday" Parker. Especially now, that Mayday's popularity is everywhere thanks to the movies of the Spider-Verse.

+ I know the Clone Saga was adapted already, but they left many key ingredients out, so they need to adapt those too in the main reality.
    > Miles Warren becoming the Jackal. My guess, he could become the Jackal after being exposed to Goblin Gas. Have you never found weird how much the Jackal and the Green Goblin look alike?
    > Spidercide would be the clone to debut in the main reality, mainly because his powers allow him to turn into liquid like Hydro-Man; which means he could be created by a mix of Hydro-Man and Spider-Man's DNAs.

Mighty Member

Just watched the latest episode of X-men 97. Spectacular episode. Without revealing too much, they just adapted some 2000s post-Claremont material. So 2000s Spider-man probably wouldn't be off the table.

Regardless, I'd be thrilled to have a Spider-man series with this level of quality and maturity. X-men 97 is easily becoming the best the x-men have ever been adapted.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-10-2024 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Just watched the latest episode of X-men 97. Spectacular episode. Without revealing too much, they just adapted some 2000s post-Claremont material. So 2000s Spider-man probably wouldn't be off the table.

Regardless, I'd be thrilled to have a Spider-man series with this level of quality and maturity. X-men 97 is easily becoming the best the x-men have ever been adapted.
    It'll be interesting to see how Friendly Neighborhood stacks up because it's basically a new rendition on the property even if it's hitting familiar beats to the last few shows and has some kind of weird quasi-MCU spinoff vibes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how Friendly Neighborhood stacks up because it's basically a new rendition on the property even if it's hitting familiar beats to the last few shows and has some kind of weird quasi-MCU spinoff vibes.
    We'll see. That show seems like it's being developed as another children's show. Whereas X-men 97 has more adult content compared to prior Marvel cartoons (excluding What If.) So maybe they'd be comfortable producing both.