Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Mighty Member

Default Spider-man '98

With the positive reception to X-men 97, there's been a lot of discussion surrounding a revival of the 90s animated Spider-man show which took place in the same universe. If the show were to return, what direction would you be interested in them taking? What comic storylines/characters would you like to see adapted?

Personally, I'd like them to handle the new series with the same maturity as X-men 97 and adapt stories that wouldn't/couldn't be adapted in the 90s due to fox censorship. Peter finding Mary Jane is a given, but I'd prefer that story be condensed to one or two episodes (maybe as a crossover with the x-men?) and not dragged out into an entire Spider-verse/dimension hopping season ala John Semper's original idea. The Spider-verse stuff has been overdone in other cartoons and I'd prefer a return to a more grounded storyline for the (presumably) more adult target audience.

Peter and Mary Jane would be legally married, but I imagine that the real Mary Jane might need some time alone to figure things out for herself. This could lead to a separation and reunion arc ala JMS. I'd also like to see Aunt May discover Peter's secret identity as she did in the JMS run.

Whenever Peter and Mary Jane are reunited, they could also adapt Kraven's Last Hunt.

The last series ended with Harry's reformation and teased a relationship between him and Liz. Perhaps a new season could adapt material from JMD's Spectacular Spider-man run. The series also ended with Norman Osborn trapped in limbo. So they could adapt the return of Norman ala the Clone Saga and some of the Green Goblin material from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Other new popular developments that they could touch upon include Morlun, Mr. Negative, the Superior Spider-man, etc. They could adapt Sandman who wasn't in the original series. They could adapt elements from MC2, Renew Your Vows, or other au variants, etc.

As long as Christopher Daniel Barnes signs on to be Spidey, and we see Peter and MJ finally together and do an episode that adapts “Torment”, I’d be happy as hell with a Spider-Man ‘98.

The idea that Peter will be able to actually punch somebody is weird to think about, lol.

I've noticed a few light swears in the X-men cartoon. Nothing really bad, but certainly thing they wouldn't have been able to get away with back then. Hopefully if they did a Spider-man, they'd do the same. Some of the censorship on the old show was weird.

I think they made Morbius even more disturbing by not letting him bit people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The idea that Peter will be able to actually punch somebody is weird to think about, lol.
    And cops can have real guns instead of lasers.

I think if I were them, I’d prefer the lasers lol.

There would have to be quite a few recasts since many of the actors have passed away over the years.

Mighty Member

I believe the violence was more of a creative choice than a censorship issue.
    Regardless, I could see it being more of a "Spider-Man: Across the Multiverse" rather than a more grounded story.
    Green Goblin would probably be the main villain too...

But maybe a season on two in, it could go back to being more grounded.

Dear God, please no more multiverse stuff for a little while. The first series practically invented spiderverse, so do something different this go round.

Give us a grounded story for a change. Introducing Miles could be fun too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Dear God, please no more multiverse stuff for a little while. The first series practically invented spiderverse, so do something different this go round.

I mean, it's clear that if there is a continuation, that's where the story is going.

I think it could be more interesting if it goes in an Exiles direction, every episode focusing on a different World with their own Characters than if it just becomes another Spider-verse story.

Listen. I know there was a Ben Reilly in Spider-Wars. I know the clone saga wasn't the best. I get all of that.

Please hear me out.

There was a Mary Jane clone in the place of the Gwen clone. Miles Warren gets a piece of Spider-Man's costume and maybe DNA too at the end of that episode I dunno. X-Men 97 straight up did Madelyne Pryor. Just have an episode where Warren makes him and he can become a supporting character. Maybe Kaine too as a reoccurring antagonist for both of them. I just think that'd be neat.

Other than that I'd like to see Venom become the Lethal Protector, and adapt some storylines from post clone saga and maybe even a few during the clone saga. A few more modern stories could be fun too. Maybe Planet of the Symbiotes as well!

X-Men 97 is still mostly working on adapting 1980s/1990s X-Men stories. I would think a Spider-Man 98 would mostly focus on similar things for Spider-Man.

They'd have to do Multiverse to start to handle rescuing MJ, but after that we could see stuff like Nothing Cast Stop the Juggernaut, Kraven's Last Hunt, and The Clone Saga.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-30-2024 at 04:48 PM.

Mighty Member

I'd also like MJ to get an episode where her character is the focus. Something like ASM annual #19 or the story that leads up to the wedding where MJ goes back home and reconciles with her family. (The last series vaguely set-up her past with father.) Or some combination of the two.

X-Men 97 is still mostly working on adapting 1980s/1990s X-Men stories. I would think a Spider-Man 98 would mostly focus on similar things for Spider-Man.

They'd have to do Multiverse to start to handle rescuing MJ, but after that we could see stuff like Nothing Cast Stop the Juggernaut, Kraven's Last Hunt, and The Clone Saga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post

Co-signed to the above. I would probably avoid Miles in this series though outside of a cameo.

There would have to be quite a few recasts since many of the actors have passed away over the years.
    The remaining actors would probably still have to re-audition for the roles like they did for X-men. In 97, Jean Grey was recast and the original VA was given a different role. (Barnes is a must though.)

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Listen. I know there was a Ben Reilly in Spider-Wars. I know the clone saga wasn't the best. I get all of that.

Please hear me out.

There was a Mary Jane clone in the place of the Gwen clone. Miles Warren gets a piece of Spider-Man's costume and maybe DNA too at the end of that episode I dunno. X-Men 97 straight up did Madelyne Pryor. Just have an episode where Warren makes him and he can become a supporting character. Maybe Kaine too as a reoccurring antagonist for both of them. I just think that'd be neat.

Other than that I'd like to see Venom become the Lethal Protector, and adapt some storylines from post clone saga and maybe even a few during the clone saga. A few more modern stories could be fun too. Maybe Planet of the Symbiotes as well!
    Those ideas sound fun as hell. I’d be with those.

I mean I grew up on Web of Spider-Man in the 90s, if we got some Kaine, Scarlet Spider and even lesser known characters like Stunner and Scream, I would love it.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    With the positive reception to X-men 97, there's been a lot of discussion surrounding a revival of the 90s animated Spider-man show which took place in the same universe. If the show were to return, what direction would you be interested in them taking? What comic storylines/characters would you like to see adapted?

Personally, I'd like them to handle the new series with the same maturity as X-men 97 and adapt stories that wouldn't/couldn't be adapted in the 90s due to fox censorship. Peter finding Mary Jane is a given, but I'd prefer that story be condensed to one or two episodes (maybe as a crossover with the x-men?) and not dragged out into an entire Spider-verse/dimension hopping season ala John Semper's original idea. The Spider-verse stuff has been overdone in other cartoons and I'd prefer a return to a more grounded storyline for the (presumably) more adult target audience.

Peter and Mary Jane would be legally married, but I imagine that the real Mary Jane might need some time alone to figure things out for herself. This could lead to a separation and reunion arc ala JMS. I'd also like to see Aunt May discover Peter's secret identity as she did in the JMS run.

Whenever Peter and Mary Jane are reunited, they could also adapt Kraven's Last Hunt.

The last series ended with Harry's reformation and teased a relationship between him and Liz. Perhaps a new season could adapt material from JMD's Spectacular Spider-man run. The series also ended with Norman Osborn trapped in limbo. So they could adapt the return of Norman ala the Clone Saga and some of the Green Goblin material from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Other new popular developments that they could touch upon include Morlun, Mr. Negative, the Superior Spider-man, etc. They could adapt Sandman who wasn't in the original series. They could adapt elements from MC2, Renew Your Vows, or other au variants, etc.
    I think John Semper Jr. was going to make it so that Peter and the real Mary Jane wouldn't be married. Ever. At the time, he subscribed to a similar thought process as Marvel Editorial and only did The Wedding involving the clone so he could get it out of the way. If he returns to the series as showrunner, I fear we may see a revival of that particular story outcome. However, if he isn't brought back on board, then I would definitely like to see KLH, the Clone Saga and JMS adapted.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

No one saying Sandman? c'mon, now

Also Human torch team up against Beetle, Norman back as Demogoblin, and Maximum Carnage w X-Men guest stars