Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    That's probably the only reason they'd greenlight this show tbh. Especially so as to synergize it with their current x-men series since the 90s continuity already took place in that timeline. A lot of the material from the late 80s to early 2000s would work surprisingly well within the continuity and character dynamics established in the original series.

If I were to write Anna for this series at all, I'd just do so with a little more nuance. Like Peter's absences remind Anna of MJ's absentee father and she doesn't want to see MJ (or May) get hurt like MJ's mother. (In Parallel Lives, MJ herself likened Peter to her father.) And then create a story that acts as an impetus for Anna to soften her opinion and change. But Anna doesn't even get that much "screentime" in the source material.

I have to re-watch the Kraven episodes to be honest. This version of Black Cat is probably one of the more popular depictions of the character in other media and the super soldier stuff is right up the Marvel Studios crossover alley. I wouldn't necessarily consider those major creative limitations though since neither Black Cat nor Kraven are characters I would expect to appear regularly as part of the principal cast.

But yeah they would need a writing team to keep the series at least tonally on par with X-Men 97. And I'm not sure the original team would be capable of that. I like a lot of your ideas.
    They definitely can do a lot of 80s/90s stories.

I slept on this thought, but if the original team is brought back and doesn't want to do the marriage years, there's a good chance that that alone kills Spider-Man '98 with fans. Especially in this climate. You have entire generations of fans who grew up with the marriage now, hate for OMD seems to be at an all time high, and the new Ultimate Spider-Man is killing it partly because it's finally giving people what they want.

Add to that that the marriage is the clearly the obvious next step in that continuity (Peter and MJ are still legally married like you said plus the last scene in TAS is Peter telling Stan Lee "We all have to grow up, even us fictional characters" lol), and I think any attempt to string Peter and MJ along will be seen as artificial interference from the writers. Kinda like how Wells breaking them up after Spencer was seen as artificial interference and immediately rejected. And I don't think Feige wants to bring all that debate and controversy to a Disney+ project. It just seems like a bad PR move. So I imagine that being against Peter and MJ getting married would be an immediate disqualification from working on Spider-Man '98.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-31-2024 at 07:31 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    They definitely can do a lot of 80s/90s stories.

I slept on this thought, but if the original team is brought back and doesn't want to do the marriage years, there's a good chance that that alone kills Spider-Man '98 with fans. Especially in this climate. You have entire generations of fans who grew up with the marriage now, hate for OMD seems to be at an all time high, and the new Ultimate Spider-Man is killing it partly because it's finally giving people what they want.

Add to that that the marriage is the clearly the obvious next step in that continuity (Peter and MJ are still legally married like you said plus the last scene in TAS is Peter telling Stan Lee "We all have to grow up, even us fictional characters" lol), and I think any attempt to string Peter and MJ along will be seen as artificial interference from the writers. Kinda like how Wells breaking them up after Spencer was seen as artificial interference and immediately rejected. And I don't think Feige wants to bring all that debate and controversy to a Disney+ project. It just seems like a bad PR move. So I imagine that being against Peter and MJ getting married would be an immediate disqualification from working on Spider-Man '98.
    Yeah, I mean it's possible that Semper only felt that way for the purposes of a children's cartoon anyway. He may feel differently for a series that's devised as being for a more mature audience. That was also 25 years ago so its also possible that he may have changed his mind entirely since then (such as with Deflaco.) Regardless of the marriage, I think they need to hire a new team much like X-men 97 to breathe new life into the series. Bring Semper back as a consultant, but hire a different showrunner and team of writers.

X-men 97 works so well not because of nostalgia, but because the material is fresh and moving into new territory.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-31-2024 at 08:41 AM.

Mighty Member

As an aside, here's an old interview with Semper, where he states that he believes his Spider-man saga was concluded and that really the only thing left for him to do was a few more episodes where Peter would go looking for and find Mary Jane. So it's possible that even Semper himself might want to hand the series off to a different team.

http://drg4.dancemania-ex.com/semper.html
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-31-2024 at 08:36 AM.

I think you all are focusing too much on relatively recent stuff. I don't think a Spider-Man 98 would have Morlun.

Extraordinary Member

See, I keep noticing that for as prolific as TAS Spidey was, he didn’t appear in the Spidey-verse films yet, which feels to me more likely to be deliberate choice so that he can be deployed later than a simple oversight...

TAS Spidey got ahead on the multiverse game by well over a decade, and thus feels to me like someone that the sequel could deploy at a key moment with first hand experience to help Miles and show what happened after the show.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    See, I keep noticing that for as prolific as TAS Spidey was, he didn’t appear in the Spidey-verse films yet, which feels to me more likely to be deliberate choice so that he can be deployed later than a simple oversight...

TAS Spidey got ahead on the multiverse game by well over a decade, and thus feels to me like someone that the sequel could deploy at a key moment with first hand experience to help Miles and show what happened after the show.
    Yeah I thought so too. Though idk how integral they could make him to their story given that the 90s show is a Disney/Marvel owned property and not a Sony one. Regardless, I don't think a scene in Beyond of Barnes' Spider-man coming to help Miles necessarily precludes a '98 show. Though they probably wouldn't be able to directly continue the 90s plot in the movie and just leave it as a version of Spider-man who has experience with the multiverse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think you all are focusing too much on relatively recent stuff. I don't think a Spider-Man 98 would have Morlun.

We'll see. I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that X-men 97 could, in the future, feature adaptations of E for Extinction, Danger, and Whedon's cure given how popular and successful those runs were. Hell, it would be a pretty cool twist if/when Xavier returns, it's actually Cassandra Nova.

I wouldn't expect Hickman's Krakoa though.

Astonishing Member

I said this in a different thread, but they have to change Peter Parker's design. I don't think the bulky animated Nicholas Hammond looked very good in the original.

Well, I found out that apparently this was Peter's original design. They should totally use this one instead.

Mighty Member

I'd keep the Nicholas Hammond hairstyle/aesthetic to keep him recognizable. Just de-bulk some of the characters a little.

Overall, I think the character designs of the 90s show were great. The only one I really don't like is the muscular Doc Ock that was obviously done for the sake of the action figure line. If he returns, they should put him in the white suit he wore in the 90s comics.

Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-31-2024 at 07:07 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I said this in a different thread, but they have to change Peter Parker's design. I don't think the bulky animated Nicholas Hammond looked very good in the original.

Well, I found out that apparently this was Peter's original design. They should totally use this one instead.

This looks amazing! Why didn't they go with this?!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Just fell to my knees. We could've had it all...

It’s a nice design, but it makes him look more like he did in Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends.

The Peter design we got was cool.

Fantastic Member

I kinda wonder if they might add some of the new character villains like the Janice Lincoln Beetle or Mr. Negative and his Inner Demons. Mind, I know it would be Spider-Man 98 or somesuch... but still, a few more toys to play with.

Also, for the love of God, it the series happens, please let him start punching baddies!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

I feel pretty certain he's been kept out is because he makes "canon event" plot point look dumber than it already does since his existence and previous adventures would completely contradict the concept.

They can adapt stories as well as create new one (like the Man-Spider or the Spider-Wars saga). The multiverse should be used, but only sparingly.

As for Mary Jane, it would make sense for Peter and Mary Jane to be together considering where the plot left off.