Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Tbh I have doubts about Semper being able to pull off something on par with X-men 97. Even 90s Spider-man wasn't really on par with the 90s X-men show, and X-men 97 is proving to be an even better series than its predecessor. And the more Semper controlled final season of Spider-man was even whackier than what preceded it IMO.

I definitely think the series needs a new showrunner to breathe new life into it. Not just write a few episodes where Peter finds MJ and be done with it, but actually explore new journeys and character arcs. Someone like Beau Demayo who brought a completely fresh perspective, and who was clearly passionate about and respected the original show and the source material.
    I agree. As much as I loved the original show (and still like to watch random episodes sometimes), I think a lot of people forget that a HUGE part of why the X-Men revival works so far is because of the writing and having a showrunner with fresh sensibilities to put the new series on the next level. In my opinion, X-Men 97 takes what was good about the original and improves on it and modernizes it. Beau Demayo really made it work in a way I'm not sure bringing back the old creatives would have.

I definitely think Semper would be better off in a consultant position than showrunner.

I would also like it if the show isn't as fast-paced as X-Men '97 and has more room to breathe.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I agree. As much as I loved the original show (and still like to watch random episodes sometimes), I think a lot of people forget that a HUGE part of why the X-Men revival works so far is because of the writing and having a showrunner with fresh sensibilities to put the new series on the next level. In my opinion, X-Men 97 takes what was good about the original and improves on it and modernizes it. Beau Demayo really made it work in a way I'm not sure bringing back the old creatives would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think Semper would be better off in a consultant position than showrunner.

I would also like it if the show isn't as fast-paced as X-Men '97 and has more room to breathe.
    Fair enough, though John Semper, Jr. as head consultant or something like that and contributing to the writing as well would still be fine. Funny enough, though, Spider-Man: TAS wasn't the last (or only) superhero show he worked on; having rewatched a lot of Static Shock episodes on (HBO) Max, I noticed his name in the writing credits of a good number of them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, though John Semper, Jr. as head consultant or something like that and contributing to the writing as well would still be fine. Funny enough, though, Spider-Man: TAS wasn't the last (or only) superhero show he worked on; having rewatched a lot of Static Shock episodes on (HBO) Max, I noticed his name in the writing credits of a good number of them.
    I did have my issues with Green Lantern: Beware My Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I did have my issues with Green Lantern: Beware My Power.
    Fair enough.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uSSnF8bS8

spoilers:
    Spidey just made a cameo appearance in today's X-men 97 episode as one to witness Magneto's power.

They even have his TAS design and sound effect.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

spoilers:
    Spidey just made a cameo appearance in today's X-men 97 episode as one to witness Magneto's power.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Beau DeMayo confirmed on twitter it was Christopher Barnes 94 Spidey.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    spoilers:
    Beau DeMayo confirmed on twitter it was Christopher Barnes 94 Spidey.
    end of spoilers
    My childhood . . .

Muh Boi is back .

Astonishing Member

Seeing TAS Spidey was great.

I do kinda wonder if Marvel is kicking themselves in the foot for being so far into production with Friendly Neighborhood and not doing Spider-Man '98 or another show that isn't MCU-adjacent. Especially after the insane success of X-Men '97. I don't think anyone expected it to be this big of a hit... not even Marvel themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Seeing TAS Spidey was great.

I do kinda wonder if Marvel is kicking themselves in the foot for being so far into production with Friendly Neighborhood and not doing Spider-Man '98 or another show that isn't MCU-adjacent. Especially after the insane success of X-Men '97. I don't think anyone expected it to be this big of a hit... not even Marvel themselves.
    Wishful thinking on my part, but they could still give us both.

Multiverse and all that.

Astonishing Member

Would this mean people here would want to scrap the upcoming Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man series and replace it with Spider-Man 98? The problem is unlike the X-Men, Spidey has been overexposed in animation lately, you had two bad Spidey cartoon series come out back to back over the last decade, you hardly ever got a chance to miss in him in animation. I have to admit that I do not care about this upcoming series.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Wishful thinking on my part, but they could still give us both.

Multiverse and all that.
    How would they be different from each other? Heck how would they be different from those two Spidey cartoon series that ran from 2012 to 2020? Frankly Spidey needed a longer break after getting two bad series in a row.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-01-2024 at 09:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

I mean, he had two bad cartoons that no one watched and were forgotten.

Also, making him older and adapting 616 material like X-Men '97 would immediately diatinguish it from the past two cartoons. Literally immediately distinguish it.

Marvel completely blowing it seems to be the standard when it comes to Spider-Man so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't end up with a Spider-Man 98 after all this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post

How would they be different from each other? Heck how would they be different from those two Spidey cartoon series that ran from 2012 to 2020? Frankly Spidey needed a longer break after getting two bad series in a row.
    That's the easy part: one is a revival that picks up with him in his adulthood and the other is teenage Pete going to school and saving the city.

Personally, I'd rather get Spidey 98. I'm sick of the high school Spidey stuff.