Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    We'll see. That show seems like it's being developed as another children's show. Whereas X-men 97 has more adult content compared to prior Marvel cartoons (excluding What If.) So maybe they'd be comfortable producing both.
    I mean, Spectacular was also ostensibly a children's show. I'm not expecting it to get as dark as X-Men '97 but I hope it skews closer to Spec tone and content-wise than Ultimate/2017.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Spectacular was also ostensibly a children's show. I'm not expecting it to get as dark as X-Men '97 but I hope it skews closer to Spec tone and content-wise than Ultimate/2017.
    I have no hopes for another teen Spidey adaptation. Especially one inspired by the MCU version. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Astonishing Member

I have no hopes for another teen Spidey adaptation. Especially one inspired by the MCU version. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Yeah, Friendly Neighborhood has an uphill battle with me just on premise alone.

Loved the new X-Men episode. Clearly a Spider-Man '98 wouldn't take the JMS/Paul Jenkins stuff off the table.

I think a lot of people are sceptical of another teen Spidey show. To be honest I'm still racking my brain trying to make sense of why Peter is best friends with Nico Minoru or why Tombstone is a teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, Friendly Neighborhood has an uphill battle with me just on premise alone.

Loved the new X-Men episode. Clearly a Spider-Man '98 wouldn't take the JMS/Paul Jenkins stuff off the table.
    Not sure I'd want them to do The Other stuff outside the Morlun fight (which is, like, the only good thing to come out of it).

Astonishing Member

I think a lot of people are sceptical of another teen Spidey show. To be honest I'm still racking my brain trying to make sense of why Peter is best friends with Nico Minoru or why Tombstone is a teenager.
    It feels like the Ultimate/2017 thing of being different to be different. Part of why I can't get excited for it.

Not sure I'd want them to do The Other stuff outside the Morlun fight (which is, like, the only good thing to come out of it).
    If they touch JMS, it will only be the JRJR era. That's the part everyone remembers and there are only 10 episodes.

If we do get a Spider-Man '98, I do hope we get a "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" adaptation. Turnabout is fair play since X-Men '97 used the Tri-Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It feels like the Ultimate/2017 thing of being different to be different. Part of why I can't get excited for it.
    At least they're not trying to push a bunch of Spider-People in the cast again...something I would also not want for a revival show.
    If they touch JMS, it will only be the JRJR era. That's the part everyone remembers and there are only 10 episodes.
    True, and hopefully do more than just the JMS era (because just that content would only hold for, like, 4-5 episodes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If we do get a Spider-Man '98, I do hope we get a "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" adaptation. Turnabout is fair play since X-Men '97 used the Tri-Sentinel.
    And if Juggernaut appears in X-Men '97, they can even use the same VA .

Mighty Member

The material that I would like most from the JMS era are the dynamics that Peter had with Aunt May and Mary Jane in stories such as the Conversation and Doomed Affairs.

As I suggested before, MJ returning from limbo and finding out that her clone married Peter would be the prime opportunity to adapt the post-Mackie JMS separation and reunion. And then mix that story with 80s material like Parallel Lives and Amazing Spider-man 290-291. ie: MJ goes back home to figure things out for herself and reconciles with her sister, in the interim Aunt May finds out about Peter, MJ returns and decides to get hitched to Peter for real... and then Kraven's Last Hunt.

You could even have Peter recap his origin story to May while Mary Jane revisits her past and have the two narratives intertwine ala Parallel Lives.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-11-2024 at 07:57 AM.

And if Juggernaut appears in X-Men '97, they can even use the same VA .
    Unfortunately not. Rick Bennett, who played Juggernaut in the original X-Men series, died in 2019.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0072001/

The material that I would like most from the JMS era are the dynamics that Peter had with Aunt May and Mary Jane in stories such as the Conversation and Doomed Affairs.

As I suggested before, MJ returning from limbo and finding out that her clone married Peter would be the prime opportunity to adapt the post-Mackie JMS separation and reunion. And then mix that story with 80s material like Parallel Lives and Amazing Spider-man 290-291. ie: MJ goes back home to figure things out for herself and reconciles with her sister, in the interim Aunt May finds out about Peter, MJ returns and decides to get hitched to Peter for real... and then Kraven's Last Hunt.

You could even have Peter recap his origin story to May while Mary Jane revisits her past and have the two narratives intertwine ala Parallel Lives.
    You can also bolster the JMS material with more stuff with the rest of the supporting cast and villains.
    Unfortunately not. Rick Bennett, who played Juggernaut in the original X-Men series, died in 2019.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0072001/
    I know, I'm just assuming if Juggernaut shows up he'll have a new VA who they can reuse.

Mighty Member

You can also bolster the JMS material with more stuff with the rest of the supporting cast and villains.
    Absolutely! I'd definitely like to see more of Harry Osborn (drawing from the 90s JMD material) in addition to Liz, Felicia, Flash, and the Bugle Cast. Perhaps the return of the "Insidious Six." A return of Venom, Carnage, and Kraven. Introduce Sandman. Have a crossover with the X-men 97 universe (Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut seems like a no-brainer for that.) That, in addition to fleshing out MJ and May should be more than enough material for a ten-episode Season 1.

(Then perhaps show the return of Norman for the season finale and leave a Clone Saga adaptation for season 2.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-11-2024 at 10:29 AM.

Mighty Member

Could they even do Kraven's Last Hunt within the context of the continuity with the show? Kraven was an ally of Spidey by the time it ended... One of the things I'm weary on with this show's revival is trying to "course correct" and retcon things within the show's continuity to make it more like the comics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Could they even do Kraven's Last Hunt within the context of the continuity with the show? Kraven was an ally of Spidey by the time it ended... One of the things I'm weary on with this show's revival is trying to "course correct" and retcon things within the show's continuity to make it more like the comics.
    It's one of the more popular Spider-man stories for them to not try and tackle it in some form, and one that has not seen a true adaptation. The original series essentially put its own spin on classic Spidey comics and so I imagine a revival would do so as well without the restraint of censorship. X-men 97 seems to be doing pretty much that, keeping most of the continuity of the original series, but also using retcons sparingly to add more depth, nuance, and to put their own twist on material that wasn't or couldn't be adapted in the original show. And IMO the product is turning out better than what the original show offered.

The point seems to be to develop a series that combines the spirit of both the original show and the source material with a tone that has aged in maturity along with its core audience.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-11-2024 at 12:40 PM.

Given how successful X-Men '97 has been at updating the classic shown and tackling more controversial storylines with more sophisticated writing and characterizations... yeah, I'm definitely onboard with a Spider-Man '98 that does the same, especially given that even I rolled my eyes at some of the restrictions they had on the show back in the 90s.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

I though about hte Tri-Sentinel too, but the body was all wrong compared to the comics.

Anyway, "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" woul dbe a great adaptation, but it would need some "changes":
    - After rescuing Mary Jane and returning home, Madame Web is left exhaunted and need time to recover at Spidey's reality. Leaving her vulnerable.
    - Somehow retaining his memories from the Secret Wars, Dr Doom hires Juggernaut in order to bring her to Doom and try to regain Beyonder's power.
    - After defeating Juggernaut, we have two options: Madame Web gets rejuvenated lik ein the comcis because of the "Gathering of the Five" or she passes her power to Julia Carpenter.