Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

However, one problem is that how are they going to adapt the Clone Saga when they already kind of did it? The Clone Saga would turn out different due to Peter's foreknowledge.

They were likely initially planning on doing a more traditional adaptation of the Clone Saga as it was foreshadowed, but they ended up turning it into a multiverse story.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 04-01-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    However, one problem is that how are they going to adapt the Clone Saga when they already kind of did it? The Clone Saga would turn out different due to Peter's foreknowledge.

They were likely initially planning on doing a more traditional adaptation of the Clone Saga as it was foreshadowed, but they ended up turning it into a multiverse story.
    All Marvel animated adaptations make changes like that. TAS' Days of Future Past was very different from the comic.

Anyways, they don't have to do the Clone Saga again. Or they can just skip to Miles being Jackal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    All Marvel animated adaptations make changes like that. TAS' Days of Future Past was very different from the comic.

Anyways, they don't have to do the Clone Saga again. Or they can just skip to Miles being Jackal.
    You are right, they don't necessarily have to adapt Clone Saga again, there are other things to adapt. I mostly mentioned Clone Saga since it was previously talked about in this thread.

However, if they tried to adapt more recent arcs like say Superior Spider-Man, I wonder if 'anachronism' would be an issue. What with it being a hypothetical series potentially named Spider-Man '98, yet adapting later storylines.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 04-01-2024 at 11:21 AM.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

The successful of X-Men '97 and further successes, as the episodes comes out, gives way for a Spider-Man '98 revival.

My concern is the current Spider-Man cartoon, which have not come out yet, Marvel won’t do it.

My hopes, since the Spider-Man TAS never really had a conclusion, if they do one season to wrapped everything up, with them finding MJ and ends it, I am okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    It’s a nice design, but it makes him look more like he did in Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends.
    The Spider-man and his Amazing Friends was pretty close to his look in the comics at the time: as far as I can remember artists basically worked off Romita Sr's character designs until Macfarlane took over.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ubauba01 View Post
    You are right, they don't necessarily have to adapt Clone Saga again, there are other things to adapt. I mostly mentioned Clone Saga since it was previously talked about in this thread.

However, if they tried to adapt more recent arcs like say Superior Spider-Man, I wonder if 'anachronism' would be an issue. What with it being a hypothetical series potentially named Spider-Man '98, yet adapting later storylines.
    They're not going to adapt Superior. It's up for debate if they will even touch the 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The Spider-man and his Amazing Friends was pretty close to his look in the comics at the time: as far as I can remember artists basically worked off Romita Sr's character designs until Macfarlane took over.
    I know, but even with the design we ultimately got you can still see some elements of Romita Sr's style. They just really changed his hair, thank God.

Mighty Member

You know, with Jennifer Hale reprising her role as Jean Grey from Wolverine and the X-men in X-men 97, it would be cool if they brought in some of the Spectacular cast for this. Since Jennifer is already Jean in this universe, maybe Tricia Helfer could play Felicia instead? And idk what Saratoga Ballantine sounds like nowadays, but Vanessa Marshall really had the perfect voice for MJ. I'd love to see her do more with the character. And, of course, there's a lot of roles to fill with the original actors from the animated series that have passed away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    You know, with Jennifer Hale reprising her role as Jean Grey from Wolverine and the X-men in X-men 97, it would be cool if they brought in some of the Spectacular cast for this. Since Jennifer is already Jean in this universe, maybe Tricia Helfer could play Felicia instead? And idk what Saratoga Ballantine sounds like nowadays, but Vanessa Marshall really had the perfect voice for MJ. I'd love to see her do more with the character. And, of course, there's a lot of roles to fill with the original actors from the animated series that have passed away.
    I would be down for any Spectacular VA to reprise their role.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I don't know how Saratoga Ballantine sounds now and I love Vanessa Marshall and Tricia Helfer...but recasting Jennifer Hale as Felicia would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Like, Hale's Black Cat is one of her most iconic roles, one of her first major Marvel roles, and one of the definitive voices for Black Cat. There's no way you wouldn't want her to reprise, especially when her Black Cat/Felicia would sound different than her Jean.

Though honestly I feel like the more daunting task would be having to follow Ed Asner (Jonah), Roscoe Lee Brown (Kingpin), and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (Doc Ock).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know how Saratoga Ballantine sounds now and I love Vanessa Marshall and Tricia Helfer...but recasting Jennifer Hale as Felicia would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Like, Hale's Black Cat is one of her most iconic roles, one of her first major Marvel roles, and one of the definitive voices for Black Cat. There's no way you wouldn't want her to reprise, especially when her Black Cat/Felicia would sound different than her Jean.

Though honestly I feel like the more daunting task would be having to follow Ed Asner (Jonah), Roscoe Lee Brown (Kingpin), and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (Doc Ock).
    Fair point. She's a great versatile actress so maybe she'd be up to doing both.

Yeah those would definitely be tough acts to follow. I suppose they could just bring in JK Simmons to do his Jonah even if it doesn't sound like 90s Jonah. Ed Asner had one of my favorite voices for JJJ. Simmons and Asner are the few that sound natural to me (so many actors ham it up too much or just do a JK impression.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    There would have to be quite a few recasts since many of the actors have passed away over the years.
    Same thing happened with X-Men 97. Not a major obstacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    See, I keep noticing that for as prolific as TAS Spidey was, he didn’t appear in the Spidey-verse films yet, which feels to me more likely to be deliberate choice so that he can be deployed later than a simple oversight...

TAS Spidey got ahead on the multiverse game by well over a decade, and thus feels to me like someone that the sequel could deploy at a key moment with first hand experience to help Miles and show what happened after the show.
    Yeah, the final arc of the original series basically was Spider-Verse well over a decade before that was a thing in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, though that's mainly because they didn't adapt Shadowcat, so instead of Kitty and the also-non-existent Rachel, they used Bishop. He's also had his actual comics origin and is now involved in Cable's. The movies also didn't faithfully adapt DOFP though it was more faithful than the cartoon's version - they gave Kitty Rachel's role, and Wolverine Kitty's, due to him travelling back further than in the comics, to a time before Kitty was born. It's not just cartoons that change things. It's also worth noting that Kitty's actor was Ellen Page. Since he's since had a gender reassignment and is now Elliot Page, if Kitty appeared in the movies now, before the reboot Secret Wars will trigger, then she'd be trans as well - it happened with his character in Umbrella Academy, which obviously wasn't the case in the source material.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-02-2024 at 03:18 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's also worth noting that Kitty's actor was Ellen Page. Since he's since had a gender reassignment and is now Elliot Page, if Kitty appeared in the movies now, before the reboot Secret Wars will trigger, then she'd be trans as well - it happened with his character in Umbrella Academy, which obviously wasn't the case in the source material.
    It's possible for an actor to be one thing and a character to be something else.

Or they could just recast.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I feel like there's been more cast turnover with Spider-Man, if only because so many Spider-Man VAs were pretty old to begin with, and thirty years have passed. They've already lost:

J. Jonah Jameson (Ed Asner)
    Doctor Octopus (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.)
    Kingpin (Roscoe Lee Browne)
    Lizard (Joseph Campanella)
    Hammerhead (Nicky Blair)
    Herbert Landon (David Warner)
    Both Scorpions (Martin Landau and Richard Moll)
    Silvermane (Jeff Corey)
    Vulture (Eddie Albert)
    Miles Warren (Jonathan Harris)
    Baron Mordo (Tony Jay)
    Both Aunt Mays (Linda Gary and Julie Bennett)
    Both Nick Furys (Philip Abbott and Jack Angel)
    Anna Watson (Majel Barrett)
    Glory Grant (Nell Carter)
    Madame Web (Joan Lee)
    Daredevil (Edward Albert)
    Doctor Strange (John Vernon)
    Silver Sable (Mira Furlan)

Today I learned that Alfred voiced Doc Ock and Martin Landau was Scorpion.

I had no clue.