Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    exactly!

even when Marvel was trying to deliberately kill the X-Line because of Fox Studios, the X-Men still persisted.

I mean what other IP can take that kind of pressure and still retain the legions of fans?

Not to sound overly dramatic, Lee's X-Men are part of the human consciousness just like Mickey, Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man.

You'll see Lee's X-Men designs all across the world.
    It still makes me laugh that they really tried to make the Inhumans the new mutants. Whew.

Thank God those days are over. But I agree with you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Blue/Gold still are the best selling comic of all time right?

I mean that speaks for itself.
    Exactly this!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So do you think that the Blue/Gold teams famous because of their impact upon launch (and their effect on TAS), moreso than each teams’s actual history as separate units?
    no BUT the fact the Blue team was elevated from being in a Jim Lee ongoing as compared to the Gold team is obvious. What has Storm done in the comics in the 90s? Jean Grey? Archangel?

Meanwhile Psylocke, despite being a non-factor in the cartoon, became a mainstay.

An important bit of context to remember is that the era was a different time. Monthly books weren’t the standard and delays were a constant concern. That all added to the era being and being perceived as longer than the trades would have you believe.

Astonishing Member

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Blue/Gold still are the best selling comic of all time right?

I mean that speaks for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    X-men #1 which featured both teams is indeed the #1 selling comic book of all time.
    In part because it was released at the height of the collectors bubble which went bust around a year later in 1993 though. Millions of copies were apparently never sold to customers but kept in their boxes by retailers and shops to be auctioned or sold later once "collectors interest" were expected to have risen.

Which explains how there were apparently 17 copies sold for every estimated regular comic reader in the USA at the time.

So it's sales do not necessarily reflect how much impact it had on both the fans and the wider pop culture. The cartoon on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Another thing to consider is that this was the team that was in existence when Marvel was making it's push to make the X-Men more well-known outside of just comic book fans. This was the first time Marvel printed two X-Men books a month. As mentioned above, this was the era the animated series borrowed from. Also in 1991, X-Men action figures entered the market and burrowed heavily from this era. Jim Lee's covers appeared as posters and t-shirts. In other words, this was the first period of time the X-Men really entered into the public conscience. And since nostalgia is the strongest drug of all...
    The major influence of Toy Biz at the time.

The behind the scenes changes and decisions going on at Marvel at the time are both fascinating and sombering, especially when one can still notice the lasting negative effect on the company and american comic industry at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    no BUT the fact the Blue team was elevated from being in a Jim Lee ongoing as compared to the Gold team is obvious. What has Storm done in the comics in the 90s? Jean Grey? Archangel?

Meanwhile Psylocke, despite being a non-factor in the cartoon, became a mainstay.
    Pulled some hearstrings.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I will go out on a limb and saying that the majority of normies/non-comic buying audience couldn't even tell you who Emma Frost is, let alone think she was a super hero if they saw her in a picture on her own.

Granted...the same could almost be said about Psylocke but she has been in so many Marvel vs Capcom games at this point that I would say she would get recognition even if they don't know much about her.
    She appeared in one Marvel vs. Capcom game, which was the 2nd*. Though to be fair that's arguably the most important title of the series, given it's still held on a pedestal in the fighting game circles today, far above 3 and especially Infinite.

*(Most of the groundwork came from X-men: Children of the Atom from 1994).

But yes that means the overall design and associated name are quite recognized even to many who never read the comics.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

even myself as a X-MEN lover i still consider that era of X-MEN + all the side teams as my X-MEN. still really excited whenever a new team or project is announced though

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    She appeared in one Marvel vs. Capcom game, which was the 2nd*. Though to be fair that's arguably the most important title of the series, given it's still held on a pedestal in the fighting game circles today, far above 3 and especially Infinite.

But yes that means the overall design and associated name are quite recognized even to many who never read the comics.
    i think it’s more important she’s the only female character chosen to be in Marvel Superheroes and that game only featured A Listers
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 03-31-2024 at 06:23 PM.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

She was in two Marvel vs Capcom games and one Street Fighter game...which in my head I thought was a Marvel vs Capcom game. She was only fully playable in Marvel vs Capcom 2. But I get your point.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

She was in two Marvel vs Capcom games and one Street Fighter game...which in my head I thought was a Marvel vs Capcom game. She was only fully playable in Marvel vs Capcom 2. But I get your point.
    she was also in the the Genesis X-Men 2 game and SNES X-Men Mutant Apocalypse

and ask you can see it's Lee's designs that are all over the games

Yep I knew of that but I didn't think that game sold as well or would be as recognizable as the Marvel vs Capcom games.
    (But I wish they would remake it just so I can play as nightcrawler who also appeared in that game.)

Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-31-2024 at 06:52 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Yep I knew of that but I didn't think that game sold as well or would be as recognizable as the Marvel vs Capcom games.
    (But I wish they would remake it just so I can play as nightcrawler who also appeared in that game.)

the soundtrack alone is worth the remake, such a great improvement over the first one

It’s not exactly an era of iconic stories. Bear in mind I came to all of this years after publication, so I wasn’t there for the hype, and the Blue/Gold era seemed to fizzle out quite quickly with little impact. Felt like the new creative teams were still trying to find a way forward after Claremont’s eternal run.

the soundtrack alone is worth the remake, such a great improvement over the first one
    But the music in Mutant Apocalypse though? Psylocke’s stage especially slaps.

true dat, I also loved how Capcom reused the MvC sprites

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

all of this makes me anticipate the X-MEN 97 mojo episode

Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 03-31-2024 at 07:53 PM.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    all of this makes me anticipate the X-MEN 97 mojo episode

Man I’d probably sell my soul for a X-Men 97 beat em up, made in the same way like Shredder’s Revenge/Double Dragon Gaiden.

That would be so dope.