Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No. There are roles that could lead to an Oscar, but the actor still needs to do a great job. Not "anyone".
    I would like to know which roles they are talking about.
    I will add that sometimes a movie is so popular or revered that some of the Oscar's it receives are band wagon.
    I got to side with Kirby101 on this one. My example would be Fred McMurray and Robert Francis from The Caine Mutiny. Lieutenant Keefer and Ensign Keith should both have been supporting actor contender roles, even in Bogie's shadow, but neither delivered the goods in an otherwise great film.

Not sure if this is quite on topic but one interesting oscar was Golden Compass for VFX instead of Transformers, seems that was mainly to spite Michael Bay.

Regardless of the quality of the rest of the movie and it's sequels, or the director, TF's effects were pretty revolutionary at the time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

I don't get the Oscars anyway.

How works the system that judges who wins an Oscar?

Too much bias. Superhero movies will never win an Oscar, or lets say no actor in a superhero movie?

Do the judges see every movie out there to compare the acting?

And many other questions...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I don't get the Oscars anyway.

How works the system that judges who wins an Oscar?

Too much bias. Superhero movies will never win an Oscar, or lets say no actor in a superhero movie?

Do the judges see every movie out there to compare the acting?

And many other questions...
    Members of the academy vote on all the winners except best picture. Majority rules.

For best picture, they use a ranked ballot. Each film then is ranked by how many first place votes and members vote again. Once a film secures over 50% as the best picture vote, they are awarded best picture at the Oscars, however, this usually does not happen in the first round due to the number of films nominated.

Nominations are made by each group of members such as actors nominate actors, costume designers nominate costume designers, etc.

There are no judges, just people that work in movies voting.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Members of the academy vote on all the winners except best picture. Majority rules.

For best picture, they use a ranked ballot. Each film then is ranked by how many first place votes and members vote again. Once a film secures over 50% as the best picture vote, they are awarded best picture at the Oscars, however, this usually does not happen in the first round due to the number of films nominated.

Nominations are made by each group of members such as actors nominate actors, costume designers nominate costume designers, etc.

There are no judges, just people that work in movies voting.
    Good explanation. Thanks for that.

Now, the question how influenceable that system is. I bet its rigged. Not that anyone can answer that question here...

There is always some anonymous ballot published, where one of the voters comments on how they vote. I remember some where they openly admitted they haven't seen all of the nominated movies and some explanations for the votes are complete BS, so I don't have much regard for the award.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Too much bias. Superhero movies will never win an Oscar, or let’s say no actor in a superhero movie?
    Two guys have won for playing Joker, so there’s an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Was reading through a conversation at a different site between two posters about the acting talent/lack thereof, of a certain actor.

At one point poster two reminds poster one that the the guy they’re discussing has won an Oscar.

Poster one comes back w. “big deal, anyone could win an Oscar playing that role”.

Can’t say I personally agree w. that logic but wanted to throw it out there and see what the board thinks.

Are there some roles so good they’d win an Oscar for anyone???
    Lemme see if I have this right...

Is the assertion that there are characters like John Merrick or Nikanor Chevotarevich that would land, say, Tommy Wiseau an Oscar if he was in that role?

While I guess that it could be the case, it feels like even a brilliant character on the page will only get an actor so far.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Playing Oscar Schindler was probably a safe bet for any halfway competent actor.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Two guys have won for playing Joker, so there’s an exception.
    That might be a bit of a stretch.

That second guy?

He was essentially "Joker In Name Only..."

It was Phillips looking right into the camera, and giving the audience his take on things. Not a whole lot to do with any version of "Joker..." I have ever seen on a page.

Too much bias. Superhero movies will never win an Oscar, or let’s say no actor in a superhero movie?
    Basically true. Blockbusters used to get best actor awards all the time (e.g. Russell Crowe for Gladiator). RDJ just got best supporting actor for a pretty unexceptional villainous performance in Oppenheimer, but never even got a nom for adding some actual gravitas to Civil War and Endgame.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Playing Oscar Schindler was probably a safe bet for any halfway competent actor.
    Wow, I wonder if Liam Neeson is feeling that burn. I think he did an excellent job. He just ran into Tom Hanks.

The problem with this whole concept is the person is looking at the finished successful movie and saying plugging in any actor, it would be the same.
    There is so much that goes into a movie and so many factors that lead to an Oscar nomination, let alone a win, that the premise just doesn't hold up.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Now, the question how influenceable that [Oscar voting] system is. I bet its rigged. Not that anyone can answer that question here...
    I don't know about these days, but in the Old Studio era, studio heads - Jack Warner being particularly notorious for it - would pressure their talent or talent courting a contract with them to vote for the studio's nominees.

Now, the question how influenceable that system is. I bet its rigged. Not that anyone can answer that question here...
    It is very. Movie studios spend money for advertisements.

And can someone help me out here. Wasn't there an SNL skit about how the winner for best male is on a 4 movie rotation between English guy, hurt guy, etc.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.