Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are the Academy X kids able to hold their own years-long ongoing as a group?

If so, how would they manage to do so?

If not, what changes need to be made to them in order to do so?

I think with a good writer and good artist they can definitely go 12 issues.

All we ever wanted was a maxi series in the Krakoa era. Well I did. But yeah editorial keeps saying they dont sell but keep green lighting other books that dont have star power either.

They had their window. It came and went. They were created too late. NM's had 100 issues then turned into X-Force. Generation X had a solid 75 issues, then dissolved. The Academy kids were a byproduct of the Foxmen/Morrison big school era(also riding on the Harry Potter craze), which was basically the end of the preeminent X-Men era(its been on a decline since). So, since Marvel didn't continue them strongly, and it's now been a decade or two since their debut, I don't think they can come back into vogue. The new writers will just introduce their own new mutants, maybe peppering in Quire and Oya, and that's it.

It's rough being an X-Kid, and that generation is basically where they jumped the shark and introduced waaaaayyy too many. Now that Disney is reinvigorating the IP with '97, that generation is going to be even further back in the line behind the perennial O5/Giant Sized crew, the OG NM(like Sunspot and Magik), and even the Generation Xers have a better shot.
    Sorry Academy kids.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

NOPE.

New Mutants? Sure. Gen-X? Maybe...be tough but they can get it done. Academy-X? Little to no faith.

My reasoning? They came in during a time period were the writing wasn't as strong and every one and everything around them was more interesting. I believe the only way a successful Academy team could operate is if 3-4 of the students were split up in the main X-Squads . Then they get some serious work done in those titles so they can spin-out of those books. But even then you would be rolling the dice.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 04-01-2024 at 12:17 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Remember what everyone said about Well's Hellions run.

They definitely have a shot.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

probably have to wait for a writer to fight for them that has nostalgia for that run
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

All it takes is one writer who's passionate about the characters. It might be harder to get them all together as a team again, but as individual characters all they need is a writer who wants to use them, like MacKay with Idie.

Extraordinary Member

If the book heavily features Laura, then yes. She is more popular than anyone in the New Mutants, even Magik, and would be enough of a draw to keep the series going. Without her, they cannot hold a title for long in this day and age.

Plus you just know it would self-implode by pushing Glob again.

I think any team can support a book with the right premise and writer. I'd love to see them as the new X-Force.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Yes I think New/Young X-Men had it to be an ongoing. See how long the first time went. Worth the right writer and artist, it could last a long time.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I think they sold better than all the following attempts at young team book without Wolverine in the title.
    They certainly sold much better than Young X-men, Gen Hope and Gen X vol2.
    I truly don't get why they've never been given another chance yet less succesful books repeatedly get new pushes.

I actually think they have a better chance at success any other "new generation" introduced since New Mutants. New Mutants have widely stuck together over the years. Similarly, the New X-Men are still largely contributing to each others' stories, while also getting major plot points that have changed the game for some of them. And I think enough current adults in their 20s were introduced to comics through the New X-Men it could work. In some ways, I think they'd have a significantly harder time making a new Generation X, because they've lost so much era-specific references, and Generation X / the Massachusettes academy is rarely referenced. The New X-Men kids are (mostly) portrayed as adults now, so I actually think it could be cool to pluck the most popular 5 or 6, cement them as their generation's focal characters while not ignoring other major players in their sphere, and you've got a hit. Especially those so greatly impacted by the Krakoan era. What will Elixir do now that he's not resurrecting mutants all day? How does the team reconcile with what happened to Wrongslide? Hellion and Surge and their Nimrod PTSD now coming full circle? Prodigy coming back from the Dead X-Men?
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

No, but I genuinely think it says less about the inherent value of the group and more about the current comic book market place. Books "X-Men" and "Avengers" in the name are getting 4-5 issue mini's to tell their entire stories. Even having Marvel's most prolific writer on isn't stopping GODS from ending with issue 8.

I just don't see a universe where Marvel even greenlights an ongoing for this group. If we're BEYOND LUCKY, when full 2000s nostalgia kicks in I could see us getting a mini-series. Otherwise I think we should just hope that individual members end up on other teams.

I think they have a lot of potential, especially when you compare them with all the new characters that have been created after them. Maybe in a couple of years we'll see them having a mini series, but for now I'm content if at least some of them are used as characters in other team books.

They definitely can.
    Problem is that editorial refuses to let them. Give them a run with a good writer and artist and don't let event nonsense screw it up and they'd do spectacularly.