Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ed Piskor dead

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I do think calling out the victims in your suicide note is also an incredibly shitty thing to do, in kind of puts the guilt on them. I really hope they don't have to live with that and don't think they are the ones at fault here.

Clearly he does not think of the two women as victims. He basically says so in the note. We don't see all of the DM's in one case and in the other I believe it was someone he was in a relationship with. Either way, nothing I read meant he deserved to be called a pedo and monster by people online. Based on what is known at this point he did not deserve the back lash. The fucking media went to his parents house? This is what happens when people accuse people by posting snippets of things and the online community attacks. Always looking for a monster and not caring who they destroy. I am 100% for victims speaking out and speaking their truth but I think if you are going after someone in the court of public opinion you owe it to everyone to provide ALL of the information.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Clearly he does not think of the two women as victims. He basically says so in the note. We don't see all of the DM's in one case and in the other I believe it was someone he was in a relationship with. Either way, nothing I read meant he deserved to be called a pedo and monster by people online. Based on what is known at this point he did not deserve the back lash. The fucking media went to his parents house? This is what happens when people accuse people by posting snippets of things and the online community attacks. Always looking for a monster and not caring who they destroy. I am 100% for victims speaking out and speaking their truth but I think if you are going after someone in the court of public opinion you owe it to everyone to provide ALL of the information.
    We're not owed anything. The victims can choose to share or not what they are comfortable sharing and placing more hurdles for them doesn't help anyone. And the court of public opinion is literally the only recourse for this kind of stuff. What do you think the police would have done if they had gone to them with these DM's? Absolutely nothing. But by making it public you bring awareness to the situation and hopefully it means it won't happen to others so they did nothing wrong by coming forward.

The media and knuckle dragging neckbeards online though? Definitely in the wrong and deserve all the blame for this tragic outcome.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What I’m saying is that in no way shape or form should the women who accused him be lumped in with the nuckledraggers online looking for “justice “. Lumping victims in with population has a potential chilling effect on potential victims who have every right to feel comfortable coming forward to say their piece even if it is confrontational and ugly.
    Sure. All I'm saying is that it was just as harsh as any of the comments and it very clearly was with the intent to hurt him. Of course she has the right to talk about it, but I think it's dishonest to act like what she said was much different than the rest of the comments. You can't really call somebody anything worse than what she did.

Doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to speak and of course nobody should be going after her in the same way. But being a victim doesn't give somebody the right to retaliate without a thought to the consequences. And she obviously knew what the internet would do when she said what she said and in the way she said it. Her "I don't want to cancel or ruin him" thing was insincere.

She has a right to tell her story but, like anything else, there are consequences. The "court of public opinion" is a merciless, cruel thing in the age of the internet. I don't know what the answer is.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-02-2024 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Sure. All I'm saying is that it was just as harsh as any of the comments and it very clearly was with the intent to hurt him. Of course she has the right to talk about it, but I think it's dishonest to act like what she said was much different than the rest of the comments. You can't really call somebody anything worse than what she did.

Doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to speak and of course nobody should be going after her in the same way.
    It is very different than the comments made by others because she was directly involved. She has every right to be emotional while explaining what happened.

By trying to lump the two together you're placing a hurdle for others to come forward which isn't good, we need more transparency and openness not less.

That isn't to say the outcome isn't a terrible tragedy, it absolutely is and I feel for Ed's family and friends. But despite what he laid out in his note the victims are not to blame in any way, shape or form. Period.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Yeah, this is just a miserable situation overall.

The whole thing is kind of complicated….
    Probably the wisest thing said in the entire thread…although the thread as a whole is a really thoughtful discussion on a difficult issue.

We're not owed anything. The victims can choose to share or not what they are comfortable sharing and placing more hurdles for them doesn't help anyone. And the court of public opinion is literally the only recourse for this kind of stuff. What do you think the police would have done if they had gone to them with these DM's? Absolutely nothing. But by making it public you bring awareness to the situation and hopefully it means it won't happen to others so they did nothing wrong by coming forward.

The media and knuckle dragging neckbeards online though? Definitely in the wrong and deserve all the blame for this tragic outcome.
    What won't happen again to others? That is exactly my point. It does not seem like anything really happened to these women. At least based on what they said.

What won't happen again to others? That is exactly my point. It does not seem like anything really happened to these women. At least based on what they said.
    Nothing happened because the underaged girl in question felt weird and declined to visit Ed. Now, he very well could have had zero sexual intentions as he said but that behavior is sadly a very prevalent phenomenon that women deal with in society so that she felt otherwise is completely understandable. And by calling it out, if Ed did have sexual intentions, it potentially stops other girls who aren't as on the ball as this one for faling for it and ending up in terrible situations they didn't deserve to be and opens up the dialog for others who had similar experiences to feel safe enough to share their trauma which could help them feel less alone and less likely to go down the same horrible path that Ed felt forced down. No one deserves to feel so trapped that they feel they need to take their own life.

This doesn't mean that Ed taking his life was a good or just thing, far from it; it's absolutely fucking terrible that he was in a place where ending his life felt like his only option. But that's not this girl's fault. That he was so abused by the media and absolute garbage human beings online who have zero first hand knowledge of the situation is what is wrong here, not that supposed poor behavior was called out.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-02-2024 at 07:36 AM.

Nothing happened because the underaged girl in question felt weird and declined to visit Ed. Now, he very well could have had zero sexual intentions as he said but that behavior is sadly a very prevalent phenomenon that women deal with in society so that she felt otherwise is completely understandable. And by calling it out, if Ed did have sexual intentions, it potentially stops other girls who aren't as on the ball as this one for faling for it and ending up in terrible situations they didn't deserve to be and opens up the dialog for others who had similar experiences to feel safe enough to share their trauma which could help them feel less alone and less likely to go down the same horrible path that Ed felt forced down. No one deserves to feel so trapped that they feel they need to take their own life.

This doesn't mean that Ed taking his life was a good or just thing, far from it; it's absolutely fucking terrible that he was in a place where ending his life felt like his only option. But that's not this girl's fault. That he was so abused by the media and absolute garbage human beings online who have zero first hand knowledge of the situation is what is wrong here, not that supposed poor behavior was called out.
    I understand and agree with what you are saying but nothing happened to her. And these words are important...people keep saying something happened to the girls or that they are victims. They are not. Just because they could have been if A, B or C happened doesn't mean they are.

I understand and agree with what you are saying but nothing happened to her. And these words are important...people keep saying something happened to the girls or that they are victims. They are not. Just because they could have been if A, B or C happened doesn't mean they are.
    Grooming is still a thing that is very unpleasant to have happen to you even if nothing more than that happens so saying that nothing happened is not the way to go. Minimalizing these experiences isn't good.

In his letter he explained it not being a sexual thing but as place to crash if she visited for zine fair type of thing. It was during covid and he meant years after that. Many comic creators have accommodated fellow creators before and after but due to them being different sexes and the age difference many saw it is as sexually creepy but people don't want to give benefit of the doubt in these situations.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    In his letter he explained it not being a sexual thing but as place to crash if she visited for zine fair type of thing. It was during covid and he meant years after that. Many comic creators have accommodated fellow creators before and after but due to them being different sexes and the age difference many saw it is as sexually creepy but people don't want to give benefit of the doubt in these situations.
    I read that, and said as much. I have zero firsthand knowledge of the situation and had nothing poor to say about Ed when the allegations were first brought to light. That doesn't mean Molly was wrong to say what she did though, if she felt uncomfortable she had every right to voice that.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I haven't really seen a good take about this on Twitter. We have people accusing other people of outright murder, and are riling things up. People are more sensible here, I'm glad.

Legally, Ed did nothing wrong. But morally, we only have outright proof of him talking to an underage girl. Under no circumstances should a 30+ man be messaging minors. This isn't a very difficult thing to do. As for his explanations in the letter, Ed doesn't deny the messages only their intention. I don't find it very convincing, like I said there's still not a good reason for a man his age to be speaking to a minor... I don't wanna live in a world where this is treated as "okay" or not without suspicion.

I'm sad he killed himself, even if his comic book career might have tanked he could have gotten some help and learned from his mistakes. There's plenty of other things I want to say regarding the note, but it doesn't matter anymore. He's gone. Cancel culture is a huge problem, but Ed is still responsible for his own suicide. Mob mentality is its own demon, for mankind will always give harsh judgment, he and his family didn't deserve 24/7 harassment.

BANNED

It is very different than the comments made by others because she was directly involved. She has every right to be emotional while explaining what happened.

By trying to lump the two together you're placing a hurdle for others to come forward which isn't good, we need more transparency and openness not less.

That isn't to say the outcome isn't a terrible tragedy, it absolutely is and I feel for Ed's family and friends. But despite what he laid out in his note the victims are not to blame in any way, shape or form. Period.
    There's a way to come forward without the intent to destroy someone. You think that there's no line and that her getting creepy messages absolves her of any responsibility. I'm less selective with my compassion and don't decide who deserves it based on their moral worth.

She didn't just come forward. She didn't just give the facts of what happened and that she felt uncomfortable. She ranted about what an disgusting creep he is an told the internet he's a pedophile. She knew exactly what would happen. She's not to blame for his death, but she knew it would ruin his life. You're mad because I questioned if there should be a line in how to deal with these things?

I've been a victim in my life, too. It doesn't give me the right to get even at any cost, so spare me the sermons.

He was wrong and so was she. Period.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-02-2024 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    There's a way to come forward without the intent to destroy someone. You think that there's no line and that her getting creepy messages absolves her of any responsibility. I'm less selective with my compassion and don't decide who deserves it based on their moral worth.

She didn't just come forward. She didn't just give the facts of what happened and that she felt uncomfortable. She ranted about what an disgusting creep he is an told the internet he's a pedophile. She knew exactly what would happen. She's not to blame for his death, but she knew it would ruin his life. You're mad because I questioned if there should be a line in how to deal with these things?

I've been a victim in my life, too. It doesn't give me the right to get even at any cost, so spare me the sermons.

He was wrong and so was she. Period.
    I'm not mad about anything.

Sad that he took his life?

Definitely, no one should be put in a situation where they feel their only option is to take their own life.

Disappointed by the ghouls in the media and the neckbeards online?

Absolutely, anyone who wasn't directly involved in the situation hounded him or wished him ill was a terrible person. Period.

But mad?

No. I just don't think there is any reason to victim blame for any reason. They felt the way they did and we have no insight into their minds or what they were feeling so there is zero reason to armchair quarter back their situation and tell them that they should have done this or that differently. When we criticize victims for coming out in these situations we're just placing yet another burden on them which has a chilling effect that we just don't need more of. It's hard enough for women to feel they are going to be heard already so we don't need to place more obstacles in the way.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-02-2024 at 09:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Would suicide mean he was a sexual predators towards teen girls?