Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ed Piskor dead

Astonishing Member

Anyone know if either of the Molly's have made a comment since Ed's suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The legal system in the US strives to uphold the ideal that someone is innocent until proven guilty. In a trial court the Defendant usually has at least one Attorney to defend them.

When its just Society as a whole (Social Media other Social groups) being the judge and jury, the system breaks down and the Defendant has no defense and no recourse.

Guilty or innocent, maybe we'll never know for sure, but was this accusation deserving of a self-inflicted death penalty?

Everyone who was following this saga has had their own opinions, but the way those opinions were expressed changed an opinion into a judgment and verdict.

If asked, I'd suggest to anyone who feels that they have been victimized online by someone else to simply stop interacting with them, don't doing anything online, and go talk to an attorney. Always a smart idea to get a legal professional's advice on this kind of situation.
    It's a good point that if someone feels victimized online, they should disconnect from the internet, and keep in mind that flashpoints don't last forever.

In Piskor's case, there were some other issues. A contract was cancelled. A show was cancelled. His Cartoonist Kayfabe partner said they weren't going to be working together again. The local media went to his parents' house.

Another thing to consider is that guilt or innocence may not be binary. It could be that he did some things he was accused of, but not others. And we don't really have good ways to assess that level of ambiguity.

One thing for people to keep in mind is that statistically we're more likely to take part in a pile-on than to be victims of one, so this is also a place to consider action. How do we make sure we don't make things worse? And is there any way to shut it down when it's happening?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a good point that if someone feels victimized online, they should disconnect from the internet, and keep in mind that flashpoints don't last forever.

In Piskor's case, there were some other issues. A contract was cancelled. A show was cancelled. His Cartoonist Kayfabe partner said they weren't going to be working together again. The local media went to his parents' house.

Another thing to consider is that guilt or innocence may not be binary. It could be that he did some things he was accused of, but not others. And we don't really have good ways to assess that level of ambiguity.

One thing for people to keep in mind is that statistically we're more likely to take part in a pile-on than to be victims of one, so this is also a place to consider action. How do we make sure we don't make things worse? And is there any way to shut it down when it's happening?
    Pile-ons can only happen if someone initiates it. That's why it is best to get advice from an attorney or someone similarly able to asses the situation before taking any action on your own. Even if you are certain that the person is guilty of something, making an online accusation leaves no room for a fair and reasoned review and an appropriate level of accountability.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Pile-ons can only happen if someone initiates it. That's why it is best to get advice from an attorney or someone similarly able to asses the situation before taking any action on your own. Even if you are certain that the person is guilty of something, making an online accusation leaves no room for a fair and reasoned review and an appropriate level of accountability.
    I realize I may have misread your post, and that you were talking about how someone can go forward with allegations, as opposed to what someone should do when they're the target. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you have a point. This is a way to lower the temperature, since lawyers would typically advise more restrained language.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I realize I may have misread your post, and that you were talking about how someone can go forward with allegations, as opposed to what someone should do when they're the target. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you have a point. This is a way to lower the temperature, since lawyers would typically advise more restrained language.
    Taking this from the other side, its difficult to deal with allegations, guilty or not. As this thread points out a person can have their whole lives upended and discarded by allegations made public. If someone feels that they have been unjustly accused, they too could seek counsel to see what recourse they may have to set the record straight and et their lives back. If they are guilty, then it gets complicated. Still, having a talk with someone who is nonjudgmental, like a Defense Attorney, might be better than having to deal with it all alone.

No one can handle that kind of social pressure all by themselves.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Anyone know if either of the Molly's have made a comment since Ed's suicide?
    I do not believe they have made any public comments. I think if they had , it would be everywhere by now.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Seems to me it was a storm of different things stemming mostly from the pedophile statement, That word gets tossed around sometimes online when it shouldn't because its like a nuclear option. Once pedophile is mentioned, all convention gets tossed aside because that is considered the worst of the worst things to be. Suddenly it becomes about that, regardless.

But this should be a lesson. Talking with strangers especially of the opposite sex and saying even marginally creepy things online can lead to dire consequences for you, depending on their mental health. Not your mental health, theirs. Its no longer in your control when you start looping people you don't really know into your own personal life.

RIP to Ed. As much as I agree with many that this is a tragedy on many levels, still I think what he did was ultimately selfish and hurtful to others.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Seems to me it was a storm of different things stemming mostly from the pedophile statement, That word gets tossed around sometimes online when it shouldn't because its like a nuclear option. Once pedophile is mentioned, all convention gets tossed aside because that is considered the worst of the worst things to be. Suddenly it becomes about that, regardless.

But this should be a lesson. Talking with strangers especially of the opposite sex and saying even marginally creepy things online can lead to dire consequences for you, depending on their mental health. Not your mental health, theirs. Its no longer in your control when you start looping people you don't really know into your own personal life.

RIP to Ed. As much as I agree with many that this is a tragedy on many levels, still I think what he did was ultimately selfish and hurtful to others.
    Being a sexual predator towards minors will label you as a pedophile. Since when has society been ok with older men preying on minors.

Being a sexual predator towards minors will label you as a pedophile. Since when has society been ok with older men preying on minors.
    There is zero evidence he was a sexual predator towards a minor. This comment is exactly how this **** escalated like it did. How quickly people will label someone a sexual predator, bigot, racist, etc these days is disgusting. I think if people picked apart every little word or thing people did, EVERYONE could be labeled each of those things based on others insane criteria.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    There is zero evidence he was a sexual predator towards a minor. This comment is exactly how this **** escalated like it did. How quickly people will label someone a sexual predator, bigot, racist, etc these days is disgusting. I think if people picked apart every little word or thing people did, EVERYONE could be labeled each of those things based on others insane criteria.
    She posted screenshots of his comments. How is that not proof.

She posted screenshots of his comments. How is that not proof.
    One possibility would be that Hol doesn't think the screenshots cross the line to use the same language with Ed Piskor as we would with Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby or the people covered in Quiet on Set: the Dark Side of Children's TV.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets