Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ed Piskor dead

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Would suicide mean he was a sexual predators towards teen girls?
    I think he felt like he lost his career. I would not infer anything else.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't say anyone should infer anything other than he was deeply hurt. There's no reason to go any further than that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But the accuser posted screenshots for proof.

She also said he didn't do anything sexual with her.
    BB

Lots of great points made ITT but I just wanna chime in and say that it is not our place to cast any sort of moral judgment on the statement of survivors. Trauma is like a wound - and it never fully heals. Without experiencing the abuse this person experienced, we can never fully understand what they went through, so any sort of criticism of their language is unfair, so is any insinuation that their words led to the dogpiling that resulted in Ed's death. We should always treat the statements of survivors with grace and recognize that the anger and pain they feel is valid and they should express it how they see fit. Just sharing the experience of abuse on a public platform alone is such a huge step and life altering on its own.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Communication certainly occurred, and Molly had legitimate cause to feel uncomfortable due to what was said but whether he intended a sexual relationship to develop(He says he didn't) is ultimately unknown and thus isn't our place to speculate further as if we have any definitive and objective evidence.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not mad about anything.

Sad that he took his life?

Definitely, no one should be put in a situation where they feel their only option is to take their own life.

Disappointed by the ghouls in the media and the neckbeards online?

Absolutely, anyone who wasn't directly involved in the situation hounded him or wished him ill was a terrible person. Period.

But mad?

No. I just don't think there is any reason to victim blame for any reason. They felt the way they did and we have no insight into their minds or what they were feeling so there is zero reason to armchair quarter back their situation and tell them that they should have done this or that differently. When we criticize victims for coming out in these situations we're just placing yet another burden on them which has a chilling effect that we just don't need more of. It's hard enough for women to feel they are going to be heard already so we don't need to place more obstacles in the way.
    Yeah, God forbid somebody even question whether or not revenge at any cost might be a bad thing.

I also said that I believed her and that she had a right to tell her story. She very clearly was doing more than that and recognizing that is only "armchair" analyzing it if you're extremely naive.

Victim blaming would be me saying what happened was her fault or that she somehow deserved it. I'm not. I'm saying that being a victim doesn't give you the moral right to retaliate in any way you see it or absolve someone of their own wrongdoing. The reason cancel culture HAS gotten so dangerous is because of the attitude that if someone did something wrong, the victim and society can do anything they want to punish them.

You disagree. Youre allowed to, regardless of how condescending and disingenuous your points may be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Lots of great points made ITT but I just wanna chime in and say that it is not our place to cast any sort of moral judgment on the statement of survivors. Trauma is like a wound - and it never fully heals. Without experiencing the abuse this person experienced, we can never fully understand what they went through, so any sort of criticism of their language is unfair, so is any insinuation that their words led to the dogpiling that resulted in Ed's death. We should always treat the statements of survivors with grace and recognize that the anger and pain they feel is valid and they should express it how they see fit. Just sharing the experience of abuse on a public platform alone is such a huge step and life altering on its own.
    Its not an insinuation and I wasn't casting a moral judgement. Yes, her actions unequivocally led to what happened and I just questioned if maybe there should be a line, even when it comes to this kind of thing.

Also, she literally said she was completely fine and just doing this to inform people.

Trauma doesn't give you an excuse to do whatever you want, either. Speaking as someone who was sexually abused at 5 years old and raised by a rage-fueled alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Its not an insinuation and I wasn't casting a moral judgement. Yes, her actions unequivocally led to what happened and I just questioned if maybe there should be a line, even when it comes to this kind of thing.

Also, she literally said she was completely fine and just doing this to inform people.

Trauma doesn't give you an excuse to do whatever you want, either. Speaking as someone who was sexually abused at 5 years old and raised by a rage-fueled alcoholic.
    My post wasn't directed specifically at you - but I do think it is harmful rhetoric. Grief, and our response to trauma is not linear. There is really no right or wrong way to express your traumatic experience. Like what do you see as "doing whatever you want" in this situation?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I am not going to comment on what happen. He might have been guilty of what was alledged or not. We may never know. I AM saying his suicide does not mean he was or wasn't. It is wrong to assume anything from it
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah, God forbid somebody even question whether or not revenge at any cost might be a bad thing.

I also said that I believed her and that she had a right to tell her story. She very clearly was doing more than that and recognizing that is only "armchair" analyzing it if you're extremely naive.

Victim blaming would be me saying what happened was her fault or that she somehow deserved it. I'm not. I'm saying that being a victim doesn't give you the moral right to retaliate in any way you see it or absolve someone of their own wrongdoing. The reason cancel culture HAS gotten so dangerous is because of the attitude that if someone did something wrong, the victim and society can do anything they want to punish them.

You disagree. Youre allowed to, regardless of how condescending and disingenuous your points may be.
    I’m not being condescending or disingenuous, I’m just saying that I don’t think we’re entitled to dictate how someone reacts to an emotional experience and that I don’t think doing so is helpful to anyone. You’re welcome to disagree but so far you haven’t provided any reasons for why we should be able to dictate a person’s emotional response that is compelling to me.

BANNED

I’m not being condescending or disingenuous, I’m just saying that I don’t think we’re entitled to dictate how someone reacts to an emotional experience and that I don’t think doing so is helpful to anyone. You’re welcome to disagree but so far you haven’t provided any reasons for why we should be able to dictate a person’s emotional response that is compelling to me.
    All I ever said was that I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often and that maybe there's a better way to handle it and you said I was victim blaming, that it's morally wrong and harmful to women to even question the way she went about it because she's a victim, and so on.

If a person's emotional response results in another person's death, I think it's normal to say, "Maybe this wasn't a good way to handle it" without you immediately accusing me of victim blaming. We are all responsible for our emotional responses. I wouldn't give myself a pass for doing something wrong as a response to my own trauma. There's no situation in life where you can just write off any behavior as "an emotional response."

By her own words, she's not traumatized and she's fine. She was telling this to "protect our youth," not the motives you're ascribing.

Nobody's trauma gives them a pass. Again, I've suffered abuse and I never once let myself off the hook or thought my actions couldn't be questioned because I was victimized.

Calling someone a pedophile in the public sphere when they didn't even break the law is an irresponsible, incendiary thing to do. I believe her that he had ill intent, but of course he was going to be destroyed by it.

He is ultimately responsible for his own actions. But you guys are acting a lot like Trump's January 6th lawyers in disingenuously pretending that she wasn't deliberately trying to **** this guy's life up.

Maybe he deserved it. But we've gone from canceling criminals to canceling and demonizing people for legal yet possibly unethical behavior and I think that's something we should question.

Like I said, my whole point was that maybe we should question how we go about these things in society and I get the whole self-righteous speech from you that twists my words. Like a lot of the internet, you're more interested in finding a villain to go after than listen to what I'm actually saying.

BANNED

My post wasn't directed specifically at you - but I do think it is harmful rhetoric. Grief, and our response to trauma is not linear. There is really no right or wrong way to express your traumatic experience. Like what do you see as "doing whatever you want" in this situation?
    I mean, accusing someone of being a pedophile in a public forum is also harmful. And by her own words, she's not traumatized and that wasn't her goal.

I'm not sure what world I've stepped in where having trauma absolves you of any responsibility. I guess I don't have to feel bad about anything shitty I've done in my life in that case. That's a relief, I guess.

And in a sane society, just because you were wronged doesn't give you the moral right to wrong them right back. By that logic, we should just let vigilante justice take precedence over everything else. Do I get to go beat my abuser to a bloody pulp? Where's the line?

I've repeatedly said I believe her and that what he did was wrong. I'm not saying she shouldn't be able to speak up. But the way she did it and the forum she did it in had very clear consequences. No, she's not responsible for her killing himself. However, she absolutely sicced the internet and media onto him. You think that's justified. I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 04-02-2024 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Feels like we have whole justice system to avoid such things.
    Not really.

People can do things that are wrong but legal.

The age of consent in Pennsylvania is 16. If his interest in her were sexual, it would not have been illegal. Although it would be wrong.

What I’m saying is that in no way shape or form should the women who accused him be lumped in with the nuckledraggers online looking for “justice “. Lumping victims in with population has a potential chilling effect on potential victims who have every right to feel comfortable coming forward to say their piece even if it is confrontational and ugly.
    I definitely agree that we should be careful about chilling the speech of victims.

Grooming is still a thing that is very unpleasant to have happen to you even if nothing more than that happens so saying that nothing happened is not the way to go. Minimalizing these experiences isn't good.
    The initial definition of grooming is quite different. The argument about the use of the word to describe LGBTQ+ activists is that category creep on loaded terms like grooming is wrong.

There's a way to come forward without the intent to destroy someone. You think that there's no line and that her getting creepy messages absolves her of any responsibility. I'm less selective with my compassion and don't decide who deserves it based on their moral worth.

She didn't just come forward. She didn't just give the facts of what happened and that she felt uncomfortable. She ranted about what an disgusting creep he is an told the internet he's a pedophile. She knew exactly what would happen. She's not to blame for his death, but she knew it would ruin his life. You're mad because I questioned if there should be a line in how to deal with these things?

I've been a victim in my life, too. It doesn't give me the right to get even at any cost, so spare me the sermons.

He was wrong and so was she. Period.
    It's a fair point that the substance of what she said matters.

I don't want to read too much about it because a young woman is now involved in a major story because someone else made a horrible decision, but it could be worth looking at the allegation and seeing if her rhetoric matches the claims.

People don't get to be wrong on sensitive topics without anyone calling them out on it.

That's the type of thing that leads to tribalism, groupthink, extreme rhetoric and a loss of perspective.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Grooming is still a thing that is very unpleasant to have happen to you even if nothing more than that happens so saying that nothing happened is not the way to go. Minimalizing these experiences isn't good.
    Well Ed is dead and that’s much worse than feeling unpleasant. And while I don’t think either accuser thought it would come to this I’m sure they knew it would get to the point it did prior to that. Losing work. Losing his collaborator and being mocked and demonized online. It’s 2024, we all know how this plays out. Guilty until proven innocent and even if you are proven innocent the damage has been done.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!