Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Major Continuity Error in Wonder Woman #8 (Rebirth DECANNONIZED?)

So I was reading the most recent issue of Tom King's Wonder Woman run when I came across this panel;

WW 8.jpg

(Source, Wonder Woman Vol 6 #8)

As an HONEST and TRUE Wonder Woman fan I immediately recognized this too be an error, because this panel doesn't characterize those events properly according to Rucka's original story

WW 4.jpg

(Source, Wonder Woman Vol 6 #4)

There was no mask in this accounting of Wonder Woman's origin story!! Not to mention...Hippolyta didn't really protest WW's admission into the games (hence why she doesn't wear a mask). She tries to dissuade her from participating sure, but it's not an outright ban like in the original story as told by Marston.

So, what does this mean? Is King trying to signal that Rebirth is no longer canon? Is he a secret Azzarello stan!? How cool am I for noticing this major lore change?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Canon/continuity and DC broke up a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Is King trying to signal that Rebirth is no longer canon? Is he a secret Azzarello stan!?
    Not sure how you came to this conclusion, since he obviously pro-clay origin and hadn't used anything from Azarello's run.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's simply one writer burrowing from the lore they know and appreciate. All writers do it. It really isn't that deep.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So I was reading the most recent issue of Tom King's Wonder Woman run when I came across this panel;

WW 8.jpg

As an HONEST and TRUE Wonder Woman fan I immediately recognized this too be an error, because this panel doesn't characterize those events properly according to Rucka's original story

WW 4.jpg

There was no mask in this accounting of Wonder Woman's origin story!! Not to mention...Hippolyta didn't really protest WW's admission into the games (hence why she doesn't wear a mask). She tries to dissuade her from participating sure, but it's not an outright ban like in the original story as told by Marston.

So, what does this mean? Is King trying to signal that Rebirth is no longer canon? Is he a secret Azzarello stan!? How cool am I for noticing this major lore change?
    Right after that, plain as day...

I Do Not Believe Your Words/I Do Not Believe Your God/I Do Not Believe Your Lasso...
    Seems pretty cut and dried, to me.

Pretty certain he's referring to the classic origin. Azzarello didnt even have a tournament to begin with.

If you dont like the run, just say you dont like It, stop going cosmic for It. DC continuity is a clusterfuck anyways.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

WW 8.jpg

WW 4.jpg

Out of curiosity, what makes for an "HONEST" and "TRUE" Wonder Woman fan? I've been collecting the series for over forty years. Just wondering if I've leveled up yet.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes for an "HONEST" and "TRUE" Wonder Woman fan? I've been collecting the series for over forty years. Just wondering if I've leveled up yet.
    Omg, a pre-Perez fan!! I wasnt even born then! My respects. We're not worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    You just got to go full Napoleon and take these titles for yourself

I checked the Rebirth issue again and as far as I can tell, Hippolysta never said this either. There isn't a scene where Wonder Woman is given the lasso in Rebirth.

I think Wonder Woman's no longer has a definitive origin story anymore. Like during the Post-Crisis era, Perez's story was the definitive origin story. It was treated like the Bible and even some of the weirder elements to it, like the reason why WW is called Diana, get referenced in later issues by other authors. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Rebirth run, it no longer carries the same authority as Perez's work and we're now getting a mishmash of events that technically never happened.

To be fair though, this might be a Tom King thing too. I read his Supergirl run recently and a character shows up called Comet that, as far as I know, has never appeared in a comic since Crisis on Infinite Earths. He is more interested in writing characters in their grandest, almost timeless state, not constrained by current continuity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I checked the Rebirth issue again and as far as I can tell, Hippolysta never said this either. There isn't a scene where Wonder Woman is given the lasso in Rebirth.

I think Wonder Woman's no longer has a definitive origin story anymore. Like during the Post-Crisis era, Perez's story was the definitive origin story. It was treated like the Bible and even some of the weirder elements to it, like the reason why WW is called Diana, get referenced in later issues by other authors. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Rebirth run, it no longer carries the same authority as Perez's work and we're now getting a mishmash of events that technically never happened.

To be fair though, this might be a Tom King thing too. I read his Supergirl run recently and a character shows up called Comet that, as far as I know, has never appeared in a comic since Crisis on Infinite Earths. He is more interested in writing characters in their grandest, almost timeless state, not constrained by current continuity.
    That's one of the downfalls of DC. History means NOTHING anymore. It makes things so much more boring.

Astonishing Member

At this point, do Batman and Superman have 100% definitive origins anymore? I think Batman's is mostly a mishmash of Year One and Zero Year, and Superman's is...Secret Origin? MOS? Bit of both?

What complicates things further in Wonder Woman's case is that, to my knowledge, even the time period is uncertain. Did the origin take place during WW2 or 15-20 years ago?

I'm surprised you're coming to this conclusion so late. From the second issue it was evident that the events of Rebirth had been altered, this scene made it clear. That's not the same contest that Nicola Scott depicted, it's not even the same stadium.

Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-26-2024 at 08:37 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Omg, a pre-Perez fan!! I wasnt even born then! My respects. We're not worthy.
    There's a few of us around here! LOL

I've heard and read interviews with King where he said he felt like writing WW was a personal challenge from George Perez. I'm sure he probably went back and read his run and in Perez's version of the origin, Diana does wear a mask to compete in the contest after she is forbidden to do so by Hippolyta. The part about the lasso not being broken is also part of the Perez mythos... issue #2 I believe.
    Last edited by The I.A.D.C.; 04-26-2024 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Correction/addition

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    That's one of the downfalls of DC. History means NOTHING anymore. It makes things so much more boring.
    Yeah the biggest issue with the crisis events is that DC DOESN'T ever clarify what the new backstory is. New Earth following CoIE was the only one they actually stuck with long enough to explore even semi-reasonably. New 52 could have fixed it by simply having... more than one universe now, but they got rid of New Earth continuity.... and... everything went downhill after that.