Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cassandra cain, batgirl, appreciation 2024

Alright, it's been 3 months. It's time to get this thread officially started, don't you think, fellow Cass fans?

cass1.jpg

So how do you feel about her characterization these days? Do you like her in Birds of Prey? Wayne Family Adventures? Did you enjoy the Batgirls series? Cassandra was literally my favorite DC character from No Man's Land up to the end of her series. I was so excited to see where she'd go after she dumped the batsuit. And I had an argument with a coworker of mine at the time (I worked in a comic book store) that she wasn't a "stinking killer" or "badguy" after killing Shiva. His argument was that she killed, so she was bad (oh how superhero times have changed...ahem...X-MEN...but I digress). My argument was that she hung her over the Lazarus pit with the intention that she would fall in and resurrect. She did it to provide for her mother the same release she was given when Shiva killed her 48 issues prior. She hoped it would let Shiva let go of her inner wish to die, and come back with a new desire to live, and be better. That entire series run was so awesome and had a perfect ending! Then One Year Later happened, and my coworker rubbed it in my face.

Anyway, we all know the story from there. I still love Cassandra, but I miss those glory days and it's been a long process to get her to where she is now, which I still think falls short. Even so, she's fun, and I pick up her current books to see where she goes. What about you all? What are your thoughts on current Cass, or old Cass, or any Cass, really? This is her thread, after all!

I'll leave with a couple of maybe mostly unseen pics. First up is some original Damion Scott art I picked up a few years ago. It's from Wizard 121, from their Last Man Standing section which pit her against Elektra that month. Who won? Cassandra, of course, easily! The second pic, and I apologize for the small size (the actual card is in storage and I had to yank this off the web where it was posted years ago) was a commission I got from Brent Engstrom for a custom Garbage Pail Kid. You can see all the OYL easter eggs if you look at the details. It was sort of cathartic to get that card done back in the day. LOL. Enjoy!

elektravbatgirl.jpg
    cass.jpg

Who was your favorite writer? Kelley Puckett, Dylan Horrocks or Andersen Gabrych?

In terms of art, Damion Scott is my favorite Cass artist.

This splash from #16 is up for auction at Comic Link:

"It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Who was your favorite writer? Kelley Puckett, Dylan Horrocks or Andersen Gabrych?

Cool stuff .

Ultimate Member

She has her own long running fanfic series, if anyone is interested

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2542344...in-The-Batgirl

That's a nice page, for sure! My favorite writer for her is Kelley Puckett, He introduced her to us, right, and really defined who she was. But I liked where Andersen Gabrych was taking her. She was progressing as a character, and I was excited to see where she was going under his pen.

Cass finally has a Pop Vinyl coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    That's cool .

Here to throw sum love to the Batgirl I read about when i started comics.

Miss Badass right here.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

The 2023 Black Bat Cass Thread was still active so the love is still there...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    Where?

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Cass has a solo backup story in the latest issue of Detective, #1084. She encounters Shiva...and I'll leave it there. Go read it if you haven't!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

The back up was good. I love whe Cass does anything
    X-Men Forever

Who was your favorite writer?
    I suppose Puckett gets the nod for commitment and longevity, but I really enjoyed Chuck Dixon's appropriately unsettlingly taciturn take on Cassandra during her brief tenure as Resident Bat during BATMAN&theOUTSIDERS.

Cass makes quick work of an "invisible" opponent

On the other end of the spectrum, I was surprised by Gail Simone's verbose take on Cass - Simone herself characterized it as being off, but it's by no means the worst. Just surprising because Gail usually hits it out of the park.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I do love the mini Cass stories in the current Detective Comics storyline. It reminds me of her original depictions before Infinite Crisis.