Default El Aguila "The Eagle" Alejandro Montoya 2024 Appreciation Thread!

Born in Spain, Alejandro Montoya was a mutant whose power manifested while he was still a teenager, but he kept it hidden. Alejandro Montoya took the identity of the swashbuckling "El Águila."

In America, Montoya appeared as Águila as a champion for the poor of New York City, stopping criminals such as drug dealers and slum lords. It is probable that the money he confiscated from these criminals was redistributed to the poor. Since his activities were outside the law, Águila was wanted by the police and on several occasions, he found himself in conflict with and sometimes working with Power Man and Iron Fist.

Águila was supposedly depowered on M-Day event, but still was considered a 'Potential Recruit' for the Initiative. Águila is mentioned as serving on the board of directors of the Penance Corps. Fellow board of directors members include Black Tiger, Crime-Buster, Justin Alphonse Gamble, and Thunderbolt.

Depowered on M-Day, his mutant ability was to channel his stored bioelectricity through a conductive metal as a powerful electric blast. His skin had to be in contact with the metal to release it, usually via his sword.

He has trained in the art of swordsmanship and is by any standard a master swordsman.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 04-04-2024 at 04:22 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think he was recently shown for one or two panels. I think it was the Unlimited series, number 123.

Following the Mutant Massacre at the Hellfire Gala, El Águila was apprehended by Orchis agents in Madrid there. Not shown afterwards.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 04-02-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Maybe this is a bit random, but the surname Montoya is a surname of Basque origin. And it is also one of the most common Gitano (Spanish Roma) surnames.
    So my headcanon of El Aguila is that he is a Basque roma

And to be funnier (in an ironic way) the eagles are associated with Spanish fascism among whose main victims are Basques and Gitanos.

So the creation of this character is confusing to say the least.

Montoya is a common name in the province of Álava and common gypsy name but not necessarily in the Basque region. It is also a common non gypsy name all over Spain... so he can be from anywhere. At least the artist bothered to do some research regarding the portrait of Madrid... a bit lazy as only the Edificio Metrópolis of Gran Vía was shown. Provided Madrid is the third largest city in Europe I am sure we can provide with other views of the city...

As a Spanish I really do not like this caricature character. Marvel is an anglo company and they portray Spain in a ridiculous way...
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Montoya is a common name in the province of Álava and common gypsy name but not necessarily in the Basque region. It is also a common non gypsy name all over Spain... so he can be from anywhere. At least the artist bothered to do some research regarding the portrait of Madrid... a bit lazy as only the Edificio Metrópolis of Gran Vía was shown. Provided Madrid is the third largest city in Europe I am sure we can provide with other views of the city...

As a Spanish I really do not like this caricature character. Marvel is an anglo company and they portray Spain in a ridiculous way...
    His latest appearance gave a proper depiction of Madrid compared to when he came out in the 70s.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume