Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I read the first appearance of the Ventriloquist in the Alan Grant / John Wagner run on Detective Comics in the late 80s, and the character worked well in their hands. He was really creepy and disturbing, and a plausible threat.

As others have mentioned, however, the concept is superficially silly, and in lesser hands it can be quite lame.

Zsasz in his original appearances looked way different and better than recently. He could pass for a normal guy if he dressed right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    I love Scarface/Ventriloquist -- I just always hated the "Gatman" thing. I mean, I get it (No "B" sounds without moving your lips), but it's stupid.
    This... I get it, but its grating. Like every writer of Catwoman having to say "look what the cat dragged in." Just...just stop it, we get it already!
    I always figured the "G" for "B" thing with Scarface was tied in with his scar and his mouth.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I always liked him, and he would be an interesting villain or sub villain in a Batman movie. I mean, even BTAS had Batman first think the Ventriloquist was just messing around until he saw how serious and deadly he was. I remember back in the day Scarface was almost in every comic despite what bad guy Batman was facing. I'll always remember that one issue that ended with the gang dropping a kid into the ocean with cement shoes and him drowning with no Batman in sight as Scarface laughs it off.

My favorite part of the Animated Series is when Scarface gets so mad, he orders his men to shoot the ventriloquist, without realizing that he'd die as well.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I wouldn't rank the Ventriloquist very high on my list of favorites but he's a perfectly fine addition to Batman's rogues gallery. I could see how some people could consider him too goofy but we all have to remember Batman's greatest nemesis is a Clown.