Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Some Brazilians are prejudiced against Portugal's accent and writing style.

Perhaps due to resentment from the period Brazil was a colony of Portugal, there are lots of jokes that portray the Portugueses as stupid or incapable of understanding irony or figurative language.

That may explain why this happens. Despite a small part of Brazilians actually speaks English.
    Kind of related, but a lot of Portuguese people have the same jokes about themselves, compared to Brazilians and people of Spain. It's one of the more common jokes, next to jokes about eating fish and working construction.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Again, Miguel Ribiero is a guy who lives in Portugal and writes in both Portuguese and English and has sold his work to Brazilians. He said that Brazilians seem to prefer reading his work in English. The logic of why? yeah, don't ask me. I was surprised by this myself.

I HAVE seen similar occasions with drastically different Spanish dialects though. Puerto Rico and Baja California have very different Spanish dialects.... and I used to know a couple who had to learn the hard way how different they are. They would sometimes switch to English... just because of being confused about dialect differences.

Hm... maybe it's a matter of the books being used as reference materials? A book as a reference material would be less useful if you need to ask the author what the phrases mean.
    Such things don't seem to be too unusual when it comes to regional dialects or languages spoken in multiple countries/cultures.

Learning a foreign language, especially a "lingua franca" such as english, usualy means being taught an agreed upon standard form. Meanwhile most native speakers of a language will be taught or learn from their environment a more dialect based version.

And dialects can develop extreme differences in how they sound or even be written despite remaining the same general language, where two dialect speakers won't even be able to understand one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Some Brazilians are prejudiced against Portugal's accent and writing style.

Perhaps due to resentment from the period Brazil was a colony of Portugal, there are lots of jokes that portray the Portugueses as stupid or incapable of understanding irony or figurative language.

That may explain why this happens. Despite a small part of Brazilians actually speaks English.
    That goes both ways, though. There’s A LOT of Portuguese xenophobia against Brazilians. But my point is that despite all this, both sides can understand each other very well. Portuguese people actually consume a lot of Brazilian media, especially kids.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Anyone else taken aback by Jubilee bing 18? I dont know if she was 13 in the original series but I always saw her as such bc of the comics. How old is Roberto supposed to be?

Also disappointed that Sunspot wasnt added to the opening. I was convinced he would be
    The original show goes in real time. So while Jubilee was 13 when the cartoon started in 1992, she’s 18 now that the show takes place in 1997.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 04-11-2024 at 07:44 AM.